Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you like better (all aspects)?
Houston 38 29.23%
Philadelphia 92 70.77%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 07:39 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
No one said it wasn't. All I'm saying is that the average Houstonian gets around the same way the average Atlantan does.

MARTA makes a difference, but a highly convenient line going straight up and down, only serving a portion of the city isn't enough to say the two metros are drastically different.

Waronxmas said Houston can't provide him with the convenient lifestyle that Atlanta can, and that makes perfect sense. BUT he's the exception, not the rule. That's all I'm saying.
OKAY.DAYUM!!!LOL.I was just making a statement.MARTA des not go up and down.Its north and Northwest ,East and West, and a spur off the West line as well.That in conjunction with the bus IS a big difference.You have huge urban centers center around the MARTA stations that have come up where you can ,live ,work,and play.As these areas keep growing ,they eventually will be a seamless transition to one area to another.This increasing urbanity at a faster rate.Philly has too much density and Houston has too little.Thats what makes it close for me but the edge to Philly.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:50 PM

153 posts, read 526,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
maybe our opinions of what looks poor is just different but I don't understand how these places don't look poor. I mean honestly I grew up in a pretty rough philly neighborhood, and while it wasn't exactly nice, the roads were at leasst paved and no one lived in what looks to be a third world shanty town.
Can someone bring some North Philly pics up and lets compare 3rd Ward, TX to those. Again poverty exist in Houston and some of those neighborhoods has some tough blocks but it doesnt compare to philly's poverty in any way. Why is this so hard to grasp? I've been in and out of all those Houston hoods but I never truly saw a real ghetto until I went north. If anything, Houston hoods have a country, laidback vibe to them, but they are no where near the desperate conditions of some Philly hoods.

And for those that keep bringing up the wealth, again some got alot of money, but the rest are utterly poor without any hope. People on these forums like to forget about huge parts of town as if they are not there and ignore them. You cant really live in a nice area unless you make a lot of money, and most of Philadelphia is not well off, no matter how "wealthy" it is. Same for DC and New York.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:08 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
OKAY.DAYUM!!!LOL.I was just making a statement.MARTA des not go up and down.Its north and Northwest ,East and West, and a spur off the West line as well.That in conjunction with the bus IS a big difference.You have huge urban centers center around the MARTA stations that have come up where you can ,live ,work,and play.As these areas keep growing ,they eventually will be a seamless transition to one area to another.This increasing urbanity at a faster rate.Philly has too much density and Houston has too little.Thats what makes it close for me but the edge to Philly.
Houston does not have too little density, it's just set up differently. If there was heavy rail going from IAH to Downtown (north to south) then downtown to Uptown (east to west), it would have the same impact on Houston that the Red Line has for Atlanta.

Houston passed up the opportunity for heavy rail decades ago--which was dumb--but that's all they're lagging behind on, compared to Atlanta.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:22 PM

200 posts, read 294,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
completely false.

That is also completely false, the per capita income in philly is much higher than houstons, not to mention, pennsylvania has more millionare households than texas, and the population in pa is half that of texas. Also, phillys metro area is i beliebe the 4th wealthiest metro in the area as far as wealth distribution, ill get the source on that. And the cost of living in philly is much higher than texas, so you can get by on much less in texas than philly or anywhere in the northeast.

Where in the world did you come up with that list, i would like you to elaborate for me, and what does population have to do with the city, houston covers a larger area, and also the philly metro still surpasses houstons by over 2 million people i believe.
Few things I like to point out,

• Philly's per capita income isn't really that much higher than Houston's. In 2009, Philly's was $45,500 while Houston's was $43,500. In 2008, Philly's was only a $100 higher than Houston's, the difference was that Houston took a pretty big hit in the recent recession. Its possible that Houston reaches Philadelphia's level once the economy returns back to normal.
  • Texas has more millionaires than Pennsylvania's, though Pennsylvania has more per capita I believe (too lazy to calculate exact numbers). Philadelphia also has more millionaires than Houston by about 15,000.
  • The Houston Metro has had a higher GDP than Philadelphia for the last 4 or 5 years.
  • Philadelphia's metro by the latest census count in April 2010 only led Houston by 20,000 not 2 million. Using the same metro boundaries, it's probably a good bet that the Houston metro surpassed Philly's as of May 2011, considering the Houston metro averaged a growth of around 120,000 new residents a year from 2000-2010. However its important to point out that Philly might get a county or two back in 2013 when redistricting happens, but I think it's inevitable that the Houston metro surpasses Philadelphia metro within the decade regardless of new boundaries.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:28 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texx View Post
Can someone bring some North Philly pics up and lets compare 3rd Ward, TX to those. Again poverty exist in Houston and some of those neighborhoods has some tough blocks but it doesnt compare to philly's poverty in any way. Why is this so hard to grasp? I've been in and out of all those Houston hoods but I never truly saw a real ghetto until I went north. If anything, Houston hoods have a country, laidback vibe to them, but they are no where near the desperate conditions of some Philly hoods.

And for those that keep bringing up the wealth, again some got alot of money, but the rest are utterly poor without any hope. People on these forums like to forget about huge parts of town as if they are not there and ignore them. You cant really live in a nice area unless you make a lot of money, and most of Philadelphia is not well off, no matter how "wealthy" it is. Same for DC and New York.
the thing with Houston wards is that the middle class abandoned it after desegregation.

People who could move felt that they HAD to live among white folks to feel better about themselves.

I don't know if it is the same in Philly but the hoods are a creation of slavery and the vibrancy of these communities left when the middle class left leaving only poverty. Before then 3rd ward packed in 40,000 people in its 2.8 sq mile boundaries.

3rd ward was a lively little area, booming with people and hosting the who's who of black america back in the day. When people like Marian Anderson or Booker T Washington were not allowed to stay in hotels downtown, it was in homes in 3rd ward that they were boarded.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:36 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlady Z View Post
Few things I like to point out,

• Philly's per capita income isn't really that much higher than Houston's. In 2009, Philly's was $45,500 while Houston's was $43,500. In 2008, Philly's was only a $100 higher than Houston's, the difference was that Houston took a pretty big hit in the recent recession. Its possible that Houston reaches Philadelphia's level once the economy returns back to normal.
  • Texas has more millionaires than Pennsylvania's, though Pennsylvania has more per capita I believe (too lazy to calculate exact numbers). Philadelphia also has more millionaires than Houston by about 15,000.
  • The Houston Metro has had a higher GDP than Philadelphia for the last 4 or 5 years.
  • Philadelphia's metro by the latest census count in April 2010 only led Houston by 20,000 not 2 million. Using the same metro boundaries, it's probably a good bet that the Houston metro surpassed Philly's as of May 2011, considering the Houston metro averaged a growth of around 120,000 new residents a year from 2000-2010. However its important to point out that Philly might get a county or two back in 2013 when redistricting happens, but I think it's inevitable that the Houston metro surpasses Philadelphia metro within the decade regardless of new boundaries.

This has become slobber overall

to TEXX - yes Philly has bad neighborhoods and agree the NE cities LOOK worse when they are bad because of the age and density. Both cities have far too much poverty than they should

to Fairlady - income is a far more reliable metric than GDP and what actually flows into the area. And on recession, did this only happen Houston, one would think as this is your rationale

On the population count without getting into a hiuge diatribe Philly is most likely adding back 2 or 3 counties that were part of the metro prior which will actually take the metro back up to between 6.5-6.8 million and a CSA between 6.8 and 7.0 million. Also this population will still be in less than half the area of the Houston MSA even at the CSA level

Philadelphia is also part of UA (Urbanized area) with a population of 29 Million based on the Census recomendation on re-configuration; comparably Houston is at 4.6 Million residents on this metric - yep they are really close; er Texas is getting closer to this number actually...

https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...-areas-ua.html

Old 05-23-2011, 08:40 PM

1,064 posts, read 1,903,955 times
You,Algreen and spade evidently yall are not helping letting them bash Houston an not standing up,well I will because I know the economics.I think that some people on this thread are followers then leaders.I have partyed in Houston with people from around the world in 3rd ward,greenspoint etc..... but we have economic talk all the time.These people love Houston an when mentioning Philly they laugh Ha Ha Ha that is a old city People People People Philly is not what it is this century so early 1900,s lol.Houston is way more populated then Philly and METRO is larger in population this year then Philly.Philly on here questioning the census bearu,saying numbers are not accurate ha ha ha so I guess that makes yall bigger then NYC knowing the whole world know they have 8million strong but thats probably wrong let Philly tell it. One thing to say I wouldn't want to visit Philly if Houston is always in there mouth in a neg vibe because Houston isn't thinking about Philly in any kind of way.What algreen and spade can't understand is I know economics but have street sense.This grudge they have against my commets spiraled from other beginning threads.I notice that if they can't prove the points I made they hated it with a passion because they didn't come up with it first.
Almost forgot early some said to me why are you bring atlanta upon this thread well because atlanta is always on threads talkin down on houston.
I am tired of them bring up Marta if is this word or phrase is used again i am going to go crazy.This doesn't make yall more of a city then Houston,Dallas or Los Angeles.Yall city have a lot of work to do to catch up with the citys I mention.I use to stay there and its country,conservative,black and white,small compare to citys I mention and very very racist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-23-2011, 08:45 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,017,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texx View Post

Google Maps

i looked around this is probably the worst pic on google maps I could find of north philly. I'm not arguing that there isn't poverty in philadelphia. obviously there is. But as awful as this block is, even though half the houses on this block are demolished, the sidewalks are overgrown and another house is condemned. These are at least houses. The street is at least paved. This isn't a shanty town. I can't believe people live in sheds in houston.

Also, "the rest are utterly poor without hope": ridiculous. There is a huge middle class population in philadelphia.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:47 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
you know very well that those houses in Houston are abandoned. Land in Houston is not at a premium as it is in Philly. Until our land runs out it is easier to build new than to rebuild

Old 05-23-2011, 08:50 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
the thing with Houston wards is that the middle class abandoned it after desegregation.

People who could move felt that they HAD to live among white folks to feel better about themselves.

I don't know if it is the same in Philly but the hoods are a creation of slavery and the vibrancy of these communities left when the middle class left leaving only poverty. Before then 3rd ward packed in 40,000 people in its 2.8 sq mile boundaries.

3rd ward was a lively little area, booming with people and hosting the who's who of black america back in the day. When people like Marian Anderson or Booker T Washington were not allowed to stay in hotels downtown, it was in homes in 3rd ward that they were boarded.

Middle class flight was a significant cause of many downtrodden neighborhoods all over the US. Segregation was not as significant a driver in the NE.

Philly is getting better from the inside out; I posted a link to a News report earlier in this thread https://www.city-data.com/forum/19276935-post144.html - The significance to my story is that I was at his new Beer Garden in Fishtown this weekend, a neighborhood 10-15 years ago was a War Zone - good to see places getting better, sounds like many in Houston are too

The other thing to TEXX is that Philly has some of the wealthiest burbs in the country and there 4.5 million people that live in the Philly burbs, but to his assertion there is very few with any money This really is all drivel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City