Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you like better (all aspects)?
Houston 38 29.23%
Philadelphia 92 70.77%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 10:27 AM

739 posts, read 1,188,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGreenDown View Post
Houston don't play yourself, the day Houston becomes PHILLY OR NYC. THEN we can talk. Writing paragraphs about why you're so upset Houston isnt winning an online poll is wack. Deal and move on.. Or move to Atlanta or Miami... Because when trying to compare to other cities..clearly nobody is checking for you.
Houston isn't playing itself. People on here know (including the OP) that this online poll was based on an attempt to tear down Houston. And for what?

Most of us here from Houston know (or should know) that Houston isn't a city/place for everybody. Just as Philly isn't. There really shouldn't be any salt between the two cities because each are unique in their own right.

These cities shouldn't be pitted against each other because they both offer alot. I just wish people would stop comparing Houston to north/northeast cities based on inane comparisions: i.e. historical architecture, urban density. Houston does have that, but not on the scale that older cities have. that's fine. Just stop expecting this city to have all that. There are plenty of other cities that possess that attribute. Houston is what it is. That does not make it "lesser than" Philly or any other city.

I've never been to Philadelphia. I've never really had any personal issues about it, other than hearing from native Phillians (lol) how much it does not live up to it's city mantra of "Brotherly love". But I wouldn't take that and make unsubstantiated, spiteful comments about a city that I've never been to.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:27 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Haha, I'm not a Philly native not even American but when I move to the US in a couple of years (God-willing) Philly will be my first choice if I can. It's the city I WISH I were from if I were American, at least from what I've researched. I used to want to live in Boston or Manhattan then I heard Philly was actually comparatively affordable. I love the history, and the fact the people there are said to be more down to earth than DC or Manhattan. I also heard people saying how it was crime-filled, going downhill etc, which puzzled me as I thought it would be doing fairly well.

I picked Houston because it's the example of the type of place that typlifies the negative qualities of America and one I would not want to live in. Yet I hear people talking it up as if it's an up and coming city and will eclipse Philly in importance when it doesn't compare to Philly, Boston.etc. There's a reason hardly anyone from outside the US visits cities like Houston or Phoenix, which should be fairly obvious.

I'm passing through because it's on the tour itinery (it's a group tour - actually we just pass through it not spend the night there, we'll be spending nights in Austin and Big Bend NP) and while it doesn't seem exciting I am 'giving it a chance' so to speak before totally dismissing it, and hope it does pleasantly surprise/change my opinion of it. But from looking at streetview I don't expect it to be one of the memorable highlights of my trip.

Honestly from a native Philadelphia who has lived around the country and has spent considerable time in Houston I think you may be surprised by Houston. It does have a lot going on for it and many cool places. While not traditional I think you may actually find yourself surprised if you keep an open mind.

I personally prefer Philly but can understand why many people would choose Houston

Old 05-23-2011, 10:32 AM

857 posts, read 1,366,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Palm View Post
Houston isn't playing itself. People on here know (including the OP) that this online poll was based on an attempt to tear down Houston. And for what?

Most of us here from Houston know (or should know) that Houston isn't a city/place for everybody. Just as Philly isn't. There really shouldn't be any salt between the two cities because each are unique in their own right.

These cities shouldn't be pitted against each other because they both offer alot. I just wish people would stop comparing Houston to north/northeast cities based on inane comparisions: i.e. historical architecture, urban density. Houston does have that, but not on the scale that older cities have. that's fine. Just stop expecting this city to have all that. There are plenty of other cities that possess that attribute. Houston is what it is. That does not make it "lesser than" Philly or any other city.

I've never been to Philadelphia. I've never really had any personal issues about it, other than hearing from native Phillians (lol) how much it does not live up to it's city mantra of "Brotherly love". But I wouldn't take that and make unsubstantiated, spiteful comments about a city that I've never been to.
Thanks for your input and perspective, it's greatly appreciated.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:35 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Honestly from a native Philadelphia who has lived around the country and has spent considerable time in Houston I think you may be surprised by Houston. It does have a lot going on for it and many cool places. While not traditional I think you may actually find yourself surprised if you keep an open mind.

I personally prefer Philly but can understand why many people would choose Houston
Yeah idk I made this thread on the spur of the moment, without any kind of agenda in mind. Sorry if I ruffled some feathers. I know Houston doesn't have the history etc of the northeast, but many here say they prefer Sunbelt-type cities so I was just seeing which was preferable and stating my own opinion for why I strongly prefer a Philly-type city.

I'm sure Houston probably is more than it appears on the surface. All I really knew about the city before was the Space thing, Houston Rockets, Oil and the fact the city has no planning laws! (which in itself would probably rule it out for an Urban planner such as myself!). Also knowing that like 0.5-1% used a car a few years ago gave me a very negative impression of the city. It seemed like the ultimate city for car lovers. Hell it seemed even worse than Perth, which is hard to imagine, a place I've wanted to leave since I can remember!

Old 05-23-2011, 10:41 AM

469 posts, read 886,739 times
Philly

Old 05-23-2011, 11:19 AM

978 posts, read 1,058,484 times
Quote:
Yeah idk I made this thread on the spur of the moment, without any kind of agenda in mind. Sorry if I ruffled some feathers. I know Houston doesn't have the history etc of the northeast, but many here say they prefer Sunbelt-type cities so I was just seeing which was preferable and stating my own opinion for why I strongly prefer a Philly-type city.

I'm sure Houston probably is more than it appears on the surface. All I really knew about the city before was the Space thing, Houston Rockets, Oil and the fact the city has no planning laws! (which in itself would probably rule it out for an Urban planner such as myself!). Also knowing that like 0.5-1% used a car a few years ago gave me a very negative impression of the city. It seemed like the ultimate city for car lovers. Hell it seemed even worse than Perth, which is hard to imagine, a place I've wanted to leave since I can remember!
Trimac, I hate to break it to you but most of the Australian cities are sprawling car centric cities as well. The data, ON PAPER shows, that they are comprabale if not more sprawled than US sunbelt cities. I know Sydney is.

True they have denser cores but think before you blantaly bash a place without ever setting foot there

Old 05-23-2011, 11:33 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H'ton View Post
Trimac, I hate to break it to you but most of the Australian cities are sprawling car centric cities as well. The data, ON PAPER shows, that they are comprabale if not more sprawled than US sunbelt cities. I know Sydney is.

True they have denser cores but think before you blantaly bash a place without ever setting foot there
You don't think I'm aware of that? That was the point I was trying to make. Perth is already car dependent but Houston is even moreso. Sydney's public transport rate was 12% a few years ago (it's risen now), and at the same time NYC's was 12%! I used to think most people in NYC took the subway but apparently not! While Perth's rate is about 8% now, I'm not sure what Houston's it but it could be even lower.

Unfortunately for us, city planners back in the 50s-70s looked to the USA as the pioneers of the latest greatest innovations in planning and look where we are today! If you think it's merely a matter of preference, prepare for a rude shock in 20-30 years time.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
You don't think I'm aware of that? That was the point I was trying to make. Perth is already car dependent but Houston is even moreso. Sydney's public transport rate was 12% a few years ago (it's risen now), and at the same time NYC's was 12%! I used to think most people in NYC took the subway but apparently not! While Perth's rate is about 8% now, I'm not sure what Houston's it but it could be even lower.

Unfortunately for us, city planners back in the 50s-70s looked to the USA as the pioneers of the latest greatest innovations in planning and look where we are today! If you think it's merely a matter of preference, prepare for a rude shock in 20-30 years time.
You might be surprised to know that Houston has one of the most effiecient light rail systems in the US. True, we are rebuilding the system (that we tore out in the 1930s) but the red line is among the leaders in users per mile. Couple that with the fact that 6 more lines are under construction.

Houston is really 2 cities
1) you have the INNER LOOP which is more dense, includes most of the cultural centers, urban parks, sporting facilities, etc. and embraces mass transit (or is starting to)

and
2) OUTSIDE THE LOOP, which is the sprawl filled Houston you will find in your research

With that said, it really is a city that has something for everyone. If we can manage to continue to improve our downtown it could be vibrant as a Sydeny or Chicago but it will never be a Manhattan.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:55 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,262,211 times
Quote:
I'm passing through because it's on the tour itinery (it's a group tour - actually we just pass through it not spend the night there, we'll be spending nights in Austin and Big Bend NP) and while it doesn't seem exciting I am 'giving it a chance' so to speak before totally dismissing it, and hope it does pleasantly surprise/change my opinion of it. But from looking at streetview I don't expect it to be one of the memorable highlights of my trip.
There's a reason why the majority of visitors to Houston go for business vs sightseeing. If you lower your expectations, however, you may be surprised, depending on where you go. I lived in Houston for 25+ years before returning back east recently. As you've gathered, Houston is a big, sprawling, car-centric city and the only major US city without zoning (it has been inexplicably voted down by the residents on numerous occasions). Among the benefits of this lack of planning are that COL is kept lower because it is a developers' playground. Among the downsides are that the city is a hodgepodge of nice areas abutting ugliness (referencing above post, this includes Inside the Loop, where I lived the whole time). Hopefully your tour guide will know where to seek out some of Houston's more charming spots - Rice U/Hermann Park are tops in my book and the nearby Menil Museum is a real gem: The Menil Collection. Unless you're a total space geek, I hope you are not going to NASA - a real yawner.

Have a great trip.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
There's a reason why the majority of visitors to Houston go for business vs sightseeing. If you lower your expectations, however, you may be surprised, depending on where you go. I lived in Houston for 25+ years before returning back east recently. As you've gathered, Houston is a big, sprawling, car-centric city and the only major US city without zoning (it has been inexplicably voted down by the residents on numerous occasions). Among the benefits of this lack of planning are that COL is kept lower because it is a developers' playground. Among the downsides are that the city is a hodgepodge of nice areas abutting ugliness (referencing above post, this includes Inside the Loop, where I lived the whole time). Hopefully your tour guide will know where to seek out some of Houston's more charming spots - Rice U/Hermann Park are tops in my book and the nearby Menil Museum is a real gem: The Menil Collection. Unless you're a total space geek, I hope you are not going to NASA - a real yawner.

Have a great trip.
Good post jm. I posted a lsit of places for Trimac to see in Houston. If you lust dart through on one of the freeways you will miss much of what the city has to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City