Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you like better (all aspects)?
Houston 38 29.23%
Philadelphia 92 70.77%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 07:32 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,792,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGreenDown View Post
Houston don't play yourself, the day Houston becomes PHILLY OR NYC. THEN we can talk. Writing paragraphs about why you're so upset Houston isnt winning an online poll is wack. Deal and move on.. Or move to Atlanta or Miami... Because when trying to compare to other cities..clearly nobody is checking for you.
Actually here is the thing:Its a very biased poll.Period.In reality and factually, Philly in NOT in real life be growing at the rate this poll would suggest.Its not.So while its true Philly is winning this poll,it simply in real life patterns of where people are moving,does not hold truth.
I chose Philly personally ONLY because I have a lot of Family there and Public transportation.Other than that it was a vary close decision.If Houston keeps expanding the light rail system they have rapidly,it would be a big game changer.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:32 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,156,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGreenDown View Post
Your wack, and I'm done.
Not to nitpick but it should read......you're! Carry on.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:16 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Same reason people still come to Atlanta looking for Gone With the Wind.If any place embodies Cowboy culture(ie rodeo's) its Houston or Dallas.It really does not matter if that gives people a romanticized reason to come.Long as they come.Even in Texas advertisements they alway show something to do with Cowboys.
True, but if they come looking for "cowboy culture" in Houston or Dallas, they'll largely be disappointed. We send people to Fort Worth for that stuff.

People may come looking for the GWTW motif in Atlanta, but y'all know better than to tout the city in that way. Let's keep it real, now. All the southern cities want to live down their stereotypes.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:25 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,043,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
You were so tired of hearing about Houston;Yet, you decided to make a thread about it??? People don't care about Houston much; yet it gained over million people last decade???

Quite frankly I don't understand how anyone is tired of it considering the place gets no type of recognition or attention outside of CD. People in Philadelphia are obviously suffering from insecurity since they always feel the need to try and compare there city to Houston or Atlanta and spew such hatred and ignorance toward these places.

You want to be mad?? Be mad at NYC and DC. It's not our fault your city became a dump and couldn't keep up with the other cities in the north. Now you guys feel you have to prove yourselves by always trying to prove to us how big and important you guys are. Philadelphia isn't on anyones radar down here. Face it; Philly is at the bottom of the barrel up there and falls short compared to the other major cities up there. No need to look for competition in the south; just realize your place and keep it moving.

Your only purpose of creating this thread was to tear down the city of Houston once again and attempt to make Philadelphia look good. This thread needs to be closed because it is of no importance and the OP is just starting up BS.

Haha, I'm not a Philly native not even American but when I move to the US in a couple of years (God-willing) Philly will be my first choice if I can. It's the city I WISH I were from if I were American, at least from what I've researched. I used to want to live in Boston or Manhattan then I heard Philly was actually comparatively affordable. I love the history, and the fact the people there are said to be more down to earth than DC or Manhattan. I also heard people saying how it was crime-filled, going downhill etc, which puzzled me as I thought it would be doing fairly well.

I picked Houston because it's the example of the type of place that typlifies the negative qualities of America and one I would not want to live in. Yet I hear people talking it up as if it's an up and coming city and will eclipse Philly in importance when it doesn't compare to Philly, Boston.etc. There's a reason hardly anyone from outside the US visits cities like Houston or Phoenix, which should be fairly obvious.

I'm passing through because it's on the tour itinery (it's a group tour - actually we just pass through it not spend the night there, we'll be spending nights in Austin and Big Bend NP) and while it doesn't seem exciting I am 'giving it a chance' so to speak before totally dismissing it, and hope it does pleasantly surprise/change my opinion of it. But from looking at streetview I don't expect it to be one of the memorable highlights of my trip.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:37 AM

...oh, the naive foreigners

Old 05-23-2011, 08:43 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,043,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
...oh, the naive foreigners
Yes if I get mugged in the City of Unbrotherly Hate you Houstonians will be the first to know about it!

Old 05-23-2011, 08:46 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,254,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
The odd thing on here to me is the defense in that how could people prefer Philly to Houston it must be a conspiracy; how could this be, it must purely be some large CD conspiracy because no one in their right could possibly prefer Philadelphia to Houston...
kid - You've nailed it. It's obvious the liberal media elite have skewed the truth once again, this time in favor of Philly. Thank god we have astute observers out there to shine a light on it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Actually here is the thing:Its a very biased poll.Period.

Last edited by Pine to Vine; 05-23-2011 at 08:58 AM.. Reason: correct typo

Old 05-23-2011, 08:48 AM

857 posts, read 1,365,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
kid - you've nailed it. It's obvious the liberal media elite have skewed the truth once again, this time in favor of philly. Thanks god we have astute observers out there to shine a light on it:
lmao.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:49 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,993,141 times
If given a choice of relocating to either city, I would most likely pick Philadelphia. It's closer to the type of city I like than Houston, but the main reasons are:

-It's only a short train ride away from NYC where most of my extended family resides.

-I'd rather trade another month and a half of winter than 3 more months of summer.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Yes if I get mugged in the City of Unbrotherly Hate you Houstonians will be the first to know about it!
Why can't you just stay in Australia? Say what you want about Houston, but it's in America, and you must love us enough to come here. Trust that you won't find many Texans clammering to get to Kangaroo Land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City