Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Atlanta, GA 106 50.72%
Minneapolis, MN 103 49.28%
Voters: 209. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 03:11 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,194,032 times

Advertisements

Atlanta is charming and would be a good pick for some people.

I, however love the climate of Minneapolis and it's entertainment options, employment options and well-mannered (for such a large city). I think Minneapolis is very underrated even though the city has a very good reputation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 05:44 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,435,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsTodd View Post
Minneapolis has several major retail districts beyond the MOA. A few include:

The Galleria, Edina: This is the most high-end retail mall in the Twin Cities, with Tiffany and lots of the ultra expensive boutiques. The center has about 450,000 sf so its notably smaller than most regional malls
Galleria, Shops of Distinction - Home
50th & France, Edina/Minneapolis: a tony retail node shared between Edina and SW Mpls
Uptown, Minneapolis: a trendy, youngish retail district with tenants like Apple, Columbia Sportswear, Urban Outfitters, CB2 etc...
Grand Avenue, St Paul: a lengthy retail corridor filled with upscale restaurants and retail shops
Nicollet Mall, Minneapolis: Downtown Minneapolis, with Nieman Marcus, the Off 5th Saks Outlet, Brooks Brothers, plus a few high-end shops and lots of mainstream stores (like macy's, Target, Marshalls, Banana republic, Gap etc...)

beyond this are about 8 regional malls, a few lifestyle centers, and other neighborhood retail districts.

Given that metro Atlanta has about 2 million more residents than the Twin Cities and the Twin Cities on the whole are pretty laid back and casual, I wouldn't doubt that Atlanta has more high-end boutiques. I think on a pro rata basis, the Twin Cities are doing fine with retail.
I checked out the Galleria, Edina and it doesn't have nearly as many of the big name high-end shops as Lenox Square or Phipps Plaza.

Atlanta also has Atlantic Station with H&M, Ikea, and other trendy type retail and more including trendy and high end boutiques in the rest of Midtown. Va-Highlands has unique shops and boutiques and Little Five Points offers very off beat trendy type stuff like what you would find in a similar hipster neighborhood (can't remember the name) I've heard of near downtown Minneapolis.

Perimeter Sqaure Mall is huge and is on the same subway line with Lenox and Phipps. The Mall of Georgia out in Gwinnett I think is the largest Mall in the State. There's also Discover Mills out in Gwinnett which actually has a restaraunt with a midievil theme with knights jousting and such.

A Korean Mall owned by a Korean company with shops, restaraunts, grocery and even a Korean wedding chapel recently opened on Buford Hwy which is full of Asian and Hispanic shops and restarants of all kinds. There's lots of talk of building a Mall out there that would be known as China Town with stores, entertainment and more. Not sure how that's progressing but there are already lots of international groceries in that area.

I noticed a lot of African Americans that have visited are shocked to see giant new malls in the middle of majority black neighborhoods or suburbs on the South side of town. This just isn't seen often. Not even in Prince Georges county outside D.C. which is the wealthiest black suburban area in America.

I'm not mentioning all the other regional malls which I'm sure the Twin Cities has plenty of also. Those are just some of the places that stand out.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Minneapolis and most of the Midwest is also notoriously humble about flaunting money, so high-end fashion is in less demand here than most places.
Yeah that's one thing Minneapolis shares in common with Denver which I've visited often. Atlanta can be very flashy at times. For instance, some people go to Lenox Mall for no other reason than to hang out and possibly run into one of the many celebrities that frequently shop there. Some celebrities have caused mobs to gather when they pull promotion type stunts. That can be annoying to someone looking for a more peaceful shopping experience but not like it always happens.

That's why I say this whole comparison is kinda like comparing chocolate and vanilla ice cream. Some are going to like one over the other no matter what.

Lamborghinis, Porsches, Maseratis, Bentleys, etc. in valet parking area of Lenox Square Mall.

removed - just use URLs
YouTube - ‪Lenox Mall Valet Rundown‬‏

removed - just use URLs
YouTube - ‪Lennox Mall Valet Parking‬‏

removed - just use URLs
YouTube - ‪Lamborghini at Lenox‬‏

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 06-18-2011 at 09:46 PM..

Old 06-14-2011, 06:45 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,708,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Yeah that's one thing Minneapolis shares in common with Denver which I've visited often. Atlanta can be very flashy at times. For instance, some people go to Lenox Mall for no other reason than to hang out and possibly run into one of the many celebrities that frequently shop there. Some celebrities have caused mobs to gather when they pull promotion type stunts. That can be annoying to someone looking for a more peaceful shopping experience but not like it always happens.

That's why I say this whole comparison is kinda like comparing chocolate and vanilla ice cream. Some are going to like one over the other no matter what.

Lamborghinis, Porsches, Maseratis, Bentleys, etc. in valet parking area of Lenox Square Mall.

removed - just use URLs
YouTube - ‪Lenox Mall Valet Rundown‬‏

removed - just use URLs
YouTube - ‪Lennox Mall Valet Parking‬‏

removed - just use URLs
YouTube - ‪Lamborghini at Lenox‬‏

Yeah, you do not see this in MSP.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 06-18-2011 at 09:46 PM..

Old 06-14-2011, 07:30 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,742,367 times
I've never been to Lenox, but everyone I know that has been there describes it as "ghetto fabulous" I couldn't deal with that. ATL seems too flashy. Thats not to say that Memphis doesn't have it too. I think it's a Southern problem.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:16 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,545,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
Yeah, you do not see this in MSP.
I'm glad we don't have this stuff. I wouldn't want one of my pastimes to be checking out all the cool cars at the mall valet.

People up in the Twin Cities could be multi-millionaires and drive an Oldsmobile station wagon. Most of them don't have to show-off their wealth in the form of cars. Besides, cars get ruined pretty quick in the winter.

Not saying I wouldn't want a little test drive in that Murcielago, though.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:39 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,708,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
I've never been to Lenox, but everyone I know that has been there describes it as "ghetto fabulous" I couldn't deal with that. ATL seems too flashy. Thats not to say that Memphis doesn't have it too. I think it's a Southern problem.
Memphis cannot compare, believe me..............

Old 06-14-2011, 08:47 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,742,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
Memphis cannot compare, believe me..............
I think it's a bad thing. ghetto fabulous isn't cool. I actually added the Memphis part in there because I didn't want people to think that I was just bashing Atlanta. It happens all over the South, but it seems to be huge in Atlanta. But if you like no class, flashy, new-money, whatever. It all adds up the high foreclosure rates in the end..

Old 06-14-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Smtchll

People from Memphis complaining about Lenox being "Ghetto"? Memphis isn't even a third the size of Atlanta but has twice as many pimps and prostitutes and worse gangs. Seriously though.

The fact that stores like Louis Vouiton, Burberry, Coach, Nieman Marcus, Bloomingdales and Fendi have been in operation there for years and years and are still going strong shows you it's not a ghetto mall. In fact it's not only a few blocks from the Governors Mansion and other multi million dollar mansions. Not exactly a bad neighborhood.

Last edited by Galounger; 06-14-2011 at 09:06 AM..

Old 06-14-2011, 08:52 AM

1,588 posts, read 4,060,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Atlanta also has Atlantic Station with H&M, Ikea, and other trendy type retail and more including trendy and high end boutiques in the rest of Midtown. Va-Highlands has unique shops and boutiques and Little Five Points offers very off beat trendy type stuff like what you would find in a similar hipster neighborhood (can't remember the name) I've heard of near downtown Minneapolis.
Mall of America has H&M, Ikea, etc... I'm pretty sure most retailers looking to get into the Twin Cities market will go to the MOA. They might consider the Galleria or downtown Minneapolis, but most will go with the MOA, which is unfortunate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City