Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Atlanta, GA 106 50.72%
Minneapolis, MN 103 49.28%
Voters: 209. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 01:59 PM

252 posts, read 493,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
I think it's just viewed as "ridiculous" and desperate, not fun or cool. In fact, if somebody were flaunting even something lower key like a Ferari and an Armani suit and a $20K Rolex, most people would just think they guy was a total a-hole, not an icon. I jokingly call it "little peni$ syndrome".

Maybe that's a definitive cultural difference. I like the videos though!
No, kidding. My response is usually nice ride, sorry about your small d*ck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
I in no way was trying to proove Atlanta was better just by showing those silly videos. If I wanted to try and outdo MSP with videos I would have shown videos that show how much better our mass transit is (which I really could do) or comparing the cities economic prowess in industry and trade. (Atlanta has plenty of boosterism type videos relating to that as well) or sports videos etc. etc. Those by far weren't even the flashiest videos I could have shown if I were trying to impress you with that.
Yeah, Atlanta definitely has a better transit system, but Minneapolis - St. Paul is doing ok compared to many metropolitan areas. IMO, the area is putting together one of the best light rail lines in the country, which when completed will connect downtown Minneapolis, the University of Minnesota (3rd largest campus in the country in terms), and downtown St. Paul.

An area that is important to me is biking and Minneapolis-St. Paul tops Atlanta in being bike friendly.

Last edited by Unity77; 06-19-2011 at 02:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 02:46 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,436,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unity77 View Post
No, kidding. My response is usually nice ride, sorry about your small d*ck.

Yeah, Atlanta definitely has a better transit system, but Minneapolis - St. Paul is doing ok compared to many metropolitan areas. IMO, the area is putting together one of the best light rail lines in the country, which when completed will connect downtown Minneapolis, the University of Minnesota (3rd largest campus in the country in terms), and downtown St. Paul.

An area that is important to me is biking and Minneapolis-St. Paul tops Atlanta in being bike friendly.
Atlanta jumped ahead of much or most of the country when it opened it's heavy rail subway system back in 1979. But since then it's been really really tough to make small improvements in the system due to political separatism in the region and no support from the State. It's sickening to watch all the other systems gradually catch up with and pass Atlanta's system while it just about sits still.

YouTube - ‪Atlanta & Transit: Once a Leader, Now Lagging‬‏

Old 06-19-2011, 08:28 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,874,502 times
Quote:
LOL! you all completely misconstrued the purpose of the videos. I was discussing earlier with someone how Atlanta has more high end shops and somebody commented that may be because MLP has a culture that rejects flashiness and that sort of thing. I kinda agreed with them by showing a few videos that were somewhat flashy. He or someone else then said that was too flashy for them and I countered by showing one more that was even flashier as if to say 'that's nothing it gets worse'. The varsity video was just in response to a video of a car club someone sent from MSP, They have a car meet at the Varsity every first Thursday.

I in no way was trying to proove Atlanta was better just by showing those silly videos. If I wanted to try and outdo MSP with videos I would have shown videos that show how much better our mass transit is (which I really could do) or comparing the cities economic prowess in industry and trade. (Atlanta has plenty of boosterism type videos relating to that as well) or sports videos etc. etc. Those by far weren't even the flashiest videos I could have shown if I were trying to impress you with that.

t
No, I think you are misconstruing what I said.....I was speaking in generalities (Minnesotans, in general). Not necessarily what I think (except the 2nd part).

Old 06-20-2011, 09:49 AM

252 posts, read 493,065 times
Quote:
Atlanta jumped ahead of much or most of the country when it opened it's heavy rail subway system back in 1979. But since then it's been really really tough to make small improvements in the system due to political separatism in the region and no support from the State. It's sickening to watch all the other systems gradually catch up with and pass Atlanta's system while it just about sits still.

YouTube - ‪Atlanta & Transit: Once a Leader, Now Lagging‬‏
Cool video. Thanks for sharing.

Here are some videos (not very good) of the new Central Corridor line connecting downtown Minneapolis to downtown St. Paul:

Central Corridor: University of Minnesota (Washington Ave.)

YouTube - ‪Washington Ave Central Corridor Animation.mov‬‏

Central Corridor: Midway (University Ave.)

YouTube - ‪Central Corridor Light Rail Transit Concept‬‏

Central Corridor: Capitol Area (University Ave.)

YouTube - ‪Victoria-to-CapitolVersion03-YouTube sharing.mov‬‏

Central Corridor: Downtown St. Paul

YouTube - ‪DowntownStPaulCClrtAnimation.mov‬&r lm;

Union Depot

YouTube - ‪Union Depot Animation June 2010-With Audio‬‏

Old 06-20-2011, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unity77 View Post
Cool video. Thanks for sharing.

Here are some videos (not very good) of the new Central Corridor line connecting downtown Minneapolis to downtown St. Paul:
No. Those are actually really good videos. Very informative. Looks like MSP is pretty far along on their light rail expansion development.

The video I showed of MARTA rails lag actually show no transit development taking place in Atlanta in the next 10 year. I definitely hope that's very wrong. Atlanta's Beltline program is still going strong with a tremendous amount of enthusiasm and support sever economic slow down. When it's completed one of it's center points will be light rail that will circle inner city Atlanta and link together many of the existing heavy rail stations. How long this will take will depend greatly on how much funding is available and that will be affected by how the future economy shapes up.

YouTube - ‪About the Atlanta BeltLine‬‏

One of several new parks being built along the Beltline

YouTube - ‪Old Fourth Ward Park Phase 1 ***BRAND NEW***‬‏

YouTube - ‪Tony Hawk OPENS Old Fourth Ward Skate Park In ATL!‬‏

YouTube - ‪Surprise! Tony Hawk arrives at Atlanta BeltLine Skatepark opening‬‏

Old 06-21-2011, 08:58 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,186,651 times
Cool! A "beltline" is a great concept and I think other cities like Chicago, for instance, should (and maybe have) embrace it. Sometimes you need to link the spokes of lines so you can get to another line without having to go all the way downtown.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Cool! A "beltline" is a great concept and I think other cities like Chicago, for instance, should (and maybe have) embrace it. Sometimes you need to link the spokes of lines so you can get to another line without having to go all the way downtown.
It would be immensely useful IMO to Atlanta. Popular neighborhoods in the City like Virginia Highland, Old Fourth Ward, Glenwood Park, Cabbage Town, Reynoldstown, and many more would be linked to each other and Piedmont Park by a light rail line similar to the ones in MSP that would pass right by or through them.http://beltline.org/Portals/26/Images/materials/blp_map_packet_dld.pdf (broken link) Furthermore they would be linked to Inman Park Marta Station to the South (East - West) subway line and Lindberg Station (shown below) to the North (North - South) Subway line. And that's just in the Northwest Quadrant of the Beltline.

YouTube - ‪Marta train arriving and leaving Lindbergh‬‏

Last edited by Galounger; 06-22-2011 at 09:39 AM..

Old 06-22-2011, 01:05 PM

3,708 posts, read 5,984,814 times
Why does the video show Portland's streetcar but not the one Atlanta has funded and ready to start construction in early 2012?

Old 06-22-2011, 01:32 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,203 times
This is a hard one. I prefer Minneapolis as a city and the people but the cold............ brrrrrr!

Old 06-23-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Why does the video show Portland's streetcar but not the one Atlanta has funded and ready to start construction in early 2012?
Many officials from Atlanta visited Portland (among other cities) a few years back and were impressed. They chose to model much of the beltline including the light rail based on what they saw out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City