Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Atlanta, GA 106 50.72%
Minneapolis, MN 103 49.28%
Voters: 209. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 03:34 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,435,178 times

Advertisements

This is sure to make the Jantelovian Minnesotan in you cringe. More of Atlanta being "flashy"

removed. Use URL only
YouTube - ‪The Sunset Lounge @ Shout - 04.17.11 - Season 3 Ep. 2‬‏

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 06-18-2011 at 09:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 05:50 PM

164 posts, read 256,861 times
How does posting random garbage you found on yotube makes Atlanta look better than Minneapolis?

Old 06-18-2011, 06:29 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,872,410 times
He said "flashier", not better. But flashy is an acquired taste, some people prefer it while others can't stand it -- but it shouldn't be a category to rank cities, IMO.

Old 06-18-2011, 06:33 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
I have had good food in Atlanta, but The Varsity was quite possibly the worst greasiest hamburger I have ever had, my friend ordered it too and spit it out into a napkin, we threw it in the trash and left and went somewhere else, I have no idea why that places is so popular.

Old 06-18-2011, 06:37 PM

88 posts, read 128,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I have had good food in Atlanta, but The Varsity was quite possibly the worst greasiest hamburger I have ever had, my friend ordered it too and spit it out into a napkin, we threw it in the trash and left and went somewhere else, I have no idea why that places is so popular.
You can't go there for the burger no wonder you were disappointed, you gotta get the chili dog. With a side of onion rings, a coke or a chocolate shake and a fried peach pie, mmmmmmmmm fatty, greasy good stuff! Makes me a little home sick...

Old 06-18-2011, 06:39 PM

164 posts, read 256,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
He said "flashier", not better.
In that case, Atlanta wins this contest hands down. Still, I don't see how it is relevant to the discussion?

Old 06-19-2011, 07:37 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,545,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
This is sure to make the Jantelovian Minnesotan in you cringe. More of Atlanta being "flashy"
The only person in that video I knew was Allen Iverson.

Other than that, I saw a whole bunch of random people shoving bottles in the camera.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Maps View Post
In that case, Atlanta wins this contest hands down. Still, I don't see how it is relevant to the discussion?
I was simply responding to a conversation taking place earlier about Minnesotans not liking "flashiness" first off. And second, the OP asked about entertainment and single life in both cities and that video directly relates to both. Actually, those are the only topics (besides maybe crime and traffic) out of the categories the OP originally brought up that haven't been discussed in depth yet.

WoW. Now I see what Drew and West were talking about. Some people your way really are uptight about that kind of thing. I can't imagine someone from the East Coast, Miami or Cali getting that upset about a little video for fun.

Last edited by Galounger; 06-19-2011 at 08:17 AM..

Old 06-19-2011, 11:35 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,872,410 times
I think it's just viewed as "ridiculous" and desperate, not fun or cool. In fact, if somebody were flaunting even something lower key like a Ferari and an Armani suit and a $20K Rolex, most people would just think they guy was a total a-hole, not an icon. I jokingly call it "little peni$ syndrome".

Maybe that's a definitive cultural difference. I like the videos though!

Old 06-19-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
I think it's just viewed as "ridiculous" and desperate, not fun or cool. In fact, if somebody were flaunting even something lower key like a Ferari and an Armani suit and a $20K Rolex, most people would just think they guy was a total a-hole, not an icon. I jokingly call it "little peni$ syndrome".

Maybe that's a definitive cultural difference. I like the videos though!
LOL! you all completely misconstrued the purpose of the videos. I was discussing earlier with someone how Atlanta has more high end shops and somebody commented that may be because MLP has a culture that rejects flashiness and that sort of thing. I kinda agreed with them by showing a few videos that were somewhat flashy. He or someone else then said that was too flashy for them and I countered by showing one more that was even flashier as if to say 'that's nothing it gets worse'. The varsity video was just in response to a video of a car club someone sent from MSP, They have a car meet at the Varsity every first Thursday.

I in no way was trying to proove Atlanta was better just by showing those silly videos. If I wanted to try and outdo MSP with videos I would have shown videos that show how much better our mass transit is (which I really could do) or comparing the cities economic prowess in industry and trade. (Atlanta has plenty of boosterism type videos relating to that as well) or sports videos etc. etc. Those by far weren't even the flashiest videos I could have shown if I were trying to impress you with that.

t

Last edited by Galounger; 06-19-2011 at 01:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City