Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ..........
Washington, D.C. 57 37.75%
Baltimore 15 9.93%
Atlanta 75 49.67%
Other 4 2.65%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 12:43 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,625,774 times

Advertisements

Atlanta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 02:12 PM

8,486 posts, read 15,011,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Howard has way more prestige and name recognition than Spellman and Morehouse but the ATL is an HBCU city.
LOL, only in DC.

I kid (mostly), but I would put all three on the same plane of existence when it comes to prestige. None of the three are really higher or lower than the others in that regard. Trying to argue that would be like someone trying to argue which is more prestigious: Harvard or Yale.

One thing I would like to see return though is the old Morehouse/Howard Football rivalry. The young folks don't know about it, but that was once one of the biggest games of the year in HBCU world....to bad the 'House got stomped the last time we played Howard back in '97. We'll have our revenge one day...

Old 06-01-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdsing View Post
Looking at the map it seems like West end is best for Morehouse and Spelman while Vine city is closest to Atlanta U and Morris Brown.
It depends on where you are at on campus. On the south end, West End would be closer for Morehouse or Spelman students. If you were on the North End or at the Library (all four AUC schools share one gigantic Library and all four campus run together like one big university), Ashby street would make more sense.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post

Cheyney and Lincoln are the oldest HBCU's in the country.
Yes, but they are tiny and no where near the top HBCUs in quality so it is rather irrelevant.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2va76 View Post
Hampton University maybe, Norfolk State, I don't think so.
Yes, Hampton is most definitely one of the top HBCUs (#4 on my list) but Norfolk State....uh....The Spartan Legion kicks ass?!

YouTube - ‪NSU Spartan "Legion" BEHOLD THE GREEN AND GOLD!!!!!!!!‬‏

That last part is not a joke though. Norfolk has my 1b favorite HBCU band after my 1a Southern, but before my 1c House of Funk. I marched for them, so I can't bottom them out...though that was back in the day when we were better.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:24 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,780,745 times
Howard is the highest ranked HBCU in the country coming in at #104 nationwide. Howard University is tied at #104 with the University of Nebraska, University of Kansas, and the University of Tennessee. The other HBCU's are like Tier 3 or not ranked at all and really are a non-factor in the grand scheme of things. DC wins this by Howard alone since Howard is the only ranked HBCU in the whole country.

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandre...ities/spp%2B50

Last edited by MDAllstar; 06-01-2011 at 02:38 PM..

Old 06-01-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Howard is the only ranked HBCU in the country coming in at #104 nationwide. The other HBCU's are like Tier 3 or not ranked and really are a non-factor in the grand scheme of things.

National University Rankings | Top National Universities | US News Best Colleges
That's because Morehouse and Spelman aren't coed and considered specialty schools, so they don't rank them on the big list. (Kind of BS, but I can understand.)

On the US News HBCU list Spelman is #1, Howard is #2 and Morehouse is #3 (Also BS because it is based on the fact that it is extremely hard to graduate from the 'house, but I guess I can understand) and they often switch places each year.

Historically Black Colleges and Universities Ranking | Rankings | US News

Old 06-01-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
That's because Morehouse and Spelman aren't coed and considered specialty schools, so they don't rank them on the big list. (Kind of BS, but I can understand.)

On the US News HBCU list Spelman is #1, Howard is #2 and Morehouse is #3 (Also BS because it is based on the fact that it is extremely hard to graduate from the 'house, but I guess I can understand) and they often switch places each year.

Historically Black Colleges and Universities Ranking | Rankings | US News
Being black I love HBCU's and take pride in them but being in the corporate world, Howard is the most respectable and famous black school period so this really isn't much of a debate. It's the only school that really can hold it's own against state universities. Since I went to a state school myself, I don't know how I feel about a Liberal Arts school. I've never looked at an HBCU ranking, what is that anyway? I want to see where my school is ranked compared to Duke and Harvard etc.

Old 06-01-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Being black I love HBCU's and take pride in them but being in the corporate world, Howard is the most respectable and famous black school period so this really isn't much of a debate. It's the only school that really can hold it's own against state universities. Since I went to a state school myself, I don't know how I feel about a Liberal Arts school. I've never looked at an HBCU ranking, what is that anyway? I want to see where my school is ranked compared to Duke and Harvard etc.
I think you can be excused somewhat for not being privy to knowing the real deal given you did not attend a HBCU and are looking at things through a DC colored lens, but the bold statement above is far from being true. The reality is that Howard is one of the most prestigious and respectable HBCUs. Period.

This group is known as the Black Ivy League (a term that is a bit out of date in modern times as it suggests we need to have parity with the "other Ivy League" to be relevant, but I digress) and there are seven schools that are a part of it:

Morehouse
Spelman
Howard
Hampton
Fisk
Dillard
Tuskeegee

(*During other periods in history this list would have included schools such as Wilberforce, Lincoln, etc)

Those seven schools are undoubtedly the cream of the crop of HBCUs and the accomplishments of their alumni and history put them on equal footing. To say Howard is the most respectable and famous HBCU is not true and a bit of a slap to the face to the other schools mentioned above because they can make just as good (and in some cases better) claims to the same.

So, I won't rag on you too much, but I suggest you research the topic first before making imperative statements based only on your personal experience.

Old 06-01-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I think you can be excused somewhat for not being privy to knowing the real deal given you did not attend a HBCU and are looking at things through a DC colored lens, but the bold statement above is far from being true. The reality is that Howard is one of the most prestigious and respectable HBCUs. Period.

This group is known as the Black Ivy League (a term that is a bit out of date in modern times as it suggests we need to have parity with the "other Ivy League" to be relevant, but I digress) and there are seven schools that are a part of it:

Morehouse
Spelman
Howard
Hampton
Fisk
Dillard
Tuskeegee

(*During other periods in history this list would have included schools such as Wilberforce, Lincoln, etc)

Those seven schools are undoubtedly the cream of the crop of HBCUs and the accomplishments of their alumni and history put them on equal footing. To say Howard is the most respectable and famous HBCU is not true and a bit of a slap to the face to the other schools mentioned above because they can make just as good (and in some cases better) claims to the same.

So, I won't rag on you too much, but I suggest you research the topic first before making imperative statements based only on your personal experience.

Well I'm sure this is true of prestige. I however was speaking about the social popularity and social view of HBCU's by people that are not black. Most people laugh at HBCU's anyway even Howard, but when you mention Howard, they at least have heard of it. Fisk, Spelman, and Morehouse are not nationwide household names to the younger crowd. Their parents may have heard of those schools but many younger people wouldn't know those schools unless they live in that region of the country. HBCU popularity is dropping as more and more minorities enroll in state schools. It used to be that black people would be proud to go to an HBCU more than a state school. At one point in time, that was their only choice. Now, it's more of a last resort. Yes, there are some people that choose an HBCU over other state school's but that is normally the exception and not the norm if they have the money and grades to go to a state school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City