Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ..........
Washington, D.C. 57 37.75%
Baltimore 15 9.93%
Atlanta 75 49.67%
Other 4 2.65%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 12:05 AM

418 posts, read 810,327 times

Advertisements

Spelman and Morehouse are pretty popular, even moreso than Howard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 01:06 AM

2,330 posts, read 4,405,391 times
Morgan State in Baltimore can hold its own against any of the Atlanta HBCU's and Howard. So you Baltimore hating Atlanta folx and DC folx need to stop sleeping on Baltimore and it's HBCU's........

Old 06-02-2011, 07:44 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,168,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Well I'm sure this is true of prestige. I however was speaking about the social popularity and social view of HBCU's by people that are not black. Most people laugh at HBCU's anyway even Howard, but when you mention Howard, they at least have heard of it. Fisk, Spelman, and Morehouse are not nationwide household names to the younger crowd. Their parents may have heard of those schools but many younger people wouldn't know those schools unless they live in that region of the country. HBCU popularity is dropping as more and more minorities enroll in state schools. It used to be that black people would be proud to go to an HBCU more than a state school. At one point in time, that was their only choice. Now, it's more of a last resort. Yes, there are some people that choose an HBCU over other state school's but that is normally the exception and not the norm if they have the money and grades to go to a state school.
Slim,

You are way off base. HBCU's serve a purpose in today's society and are not considered a last resort. I went to Grambling and then to AU for graduate school. If I had to do it all over again I would do the same exact same thing. My sister did the reverse. She went to GW and then to Howard. She said at GW, she felt like she was just a number. At Howard, her professors were more interactive with the students. By no means are HBCU's better than state or private schools but they do offer you something unique, which is similarity and a family type atmosphere. At the end of the day, it really doesn't matter what school you go to because it's all about application in the work world. If you don't produce, your a$$ is gone. I have worked with people from Harvard, who were let go because they couldn't apply their vast amount of knowledge into tangible results on the job.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMR23 View Post
Spelman and Morehouse are pretty popular, even moreso than Howard.
Doubt it homey! Howard is considered "the Mecca."

Old 06-02-2011, 07:55 AM

93,489 posts, read 124,229,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Well, Morehouse and Spelman (as well as Howard) aren't those types of schools.
Can't forget Fisk and Tuskegee too.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Booker T. Washington is a well known name but the school not bearing his name has a greater consequence for why most people(mainstream) could not tell you anything about where or what Tuskegee is.

Morehouse/Spelman has graduated some of the most well known respected leaders within the black community.For such a "tiny" school both have graduated a gross amount of talent that all of Howard can barely keep up.Morehouse has more than just MLK JR.
Try
Spike Lee
Samuel Jackson
Alice Walker
Julian Bond
David Satcher, former U.S. Surgeon General
Herman Cain
Walter E. Massey

The list goes on and on.
Morehouse and Spelman are constantly mentioned in movies,t.v. shows etc....I never hear of Howard in that same relation.

Famous people that went to Howard. All of the HBCU's in Atlanta can't touch this list for power and prestige.

Thurgood Marshall
Paul Lawrence Dunbar
Ossie Davis
Andrew Young
Cathy Hughes
David Dinkins
Benjamin Hooks
Adam Clayton Powell
Toni Morrison
Debbie Allen
Sean "Puffy" Combs
Vernon Jordan
La La Vasquez
Donny Hathaway
Kenny Latimore
Laz Alonzo
Taraji P. Henson
Carl Anthony Payne
Roxie Roker
Wendy Raquel Robinson
Marlon Wayans
Lynn Whitfield

Old 06-02-2011, 08:19 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,847,811 times
I've heard good things about Howard. All three Howard, Spellman, and Moorehouse recruited from my Highschool. I applied for Moorehouse and got accepted but decided I was better off going to Texas A&M University. Plus A&M was throwing a lot of cash at me.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:39 AM

8,486 posts, read 15,011,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Famous people that went to Howard. All of the HBCU's in Atlanta can't touch this list for power and prestige.

Thurgood Marshall
Paul Lawrence Dunbar
Ossie Davis
Andrew Young
Cathy Hughes
David Dinkins
Benjamin Hooks
Adam Clayton Powell
Toni Morrison
Debbie Allen
Sean "Puffy" Combs
Vernon Jordan
La La Vasquez
Donny Hathaway
Kenny Latimore
Laz Alonzo
Taraji P. Henson
Carl Anthony Payne
Roxie Roker
Wendy Raquel Robinson
Marlon Wayans
Lynn Whitfield
Well, hmmm, not to rag on that list but Thurgood Marshall, Paul Lawrence Dunbar, Andrew Young and Ossie Davis are the stand outs on that list and you could have done better than that. It's not even worth me trying to throw back at you a list from the AUC as it would not be respectful to Howard to drag their good name in some mud slinging match.

But seriously you are going to say with a straight face that Howard beats the AUC but then most of the people on your list comprise of B actors, frickin Marlon Wayans, and Cole from Martin (or cockroach from the Cosby show if you are old enough). We've got W.E.B Dubois, MLK and whole host of others. Come on now son...

PS

Dude seriously, you put people like La La Vasquez,Diddy, and Vernon Jordan on your list. You can do Howard better than that.

Last edited by waronxmas; 06-02-2011 at 09:16 AM..

Old 06-02-2011, 08:46 AM

93,489 posts, read 124,229,264 times
Some interesting information on HBCU's(for those that may or may not know): Historically black colleges and universities - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._United_States

Old 06-02-2011, 09:16 AM

8,486 posts, read 15,011,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Can't forget Fisk and Tuskegee too.
True indeed. Non of the big seven have any bigger problem than what you would find at any other school.

Just to expound for a second, that is one line of attack I have always hated from people who did not attend an HBCU. They take the fact that there are poorly run HBCUs and turn it into an reason to say how all HBCUs are bad and (since they are run by black folks and all black folks think the same) that means that all HBCUs are poorly run.

They also act as if there are no poorly run or bad state or PWC schools out there. As if by their very nature, HBCUs can not be better than any state school and is inherently inferior. Of course, there "are some people" who would think this about HBCUs (or any black organization including black people themselves) no matter what and have been hating on HBCUs since they were started. What really bothers me is that when black folks do it.

Whether you attend an HBCU or not, we must never treat these schools with nothing else but the utmost respect. They are the institutions that directly and indirectly lead to our ability as a people to be free to do what we want and be true citizens. If those brave men and women did not start these schools at the height of Jim Crow, under threat to their lives, there is no telling where our society would be now.

When you combine that with the fact that the vast majority of African-American leaders in medicine, business, politics, and the arts were and are trained at HBCUs their importance becomes clear. We must support these schools because there are so many kids out there from poor neighborhoods in the city to the poor towns in the country for whom this their only hope.

While I myself did not come from a privileged background, I was blessed with nerdiness, book smarts, and musical talent. When I started applying for University I was accepted to the following schools:

Georgia Tech (full academic scholarship as well as the HOPE scholarship aka I wouldn't have had to pay a penny for school)
MIT
Carnegie Mellon
NYU
Morehouse
Hampton
Howard
Standford

I don't say this to brag but to make the point that while I applied for those schools and got in, when I began to do my tours it hit me all of a sudden that when I choose a school that I probably should do more than think about how much money I make once I leave there. As I toured the three HBCUs on my list, spoke with their alumni, and their faculty I started to realize that along with getting a great education I could tangibly give back to the community from whence I came and honor those people who literally put their life on the line to ensure that I could be in the position to do whatever I wanted with my life.

For the longest time I battled back and forth with going to Howard and Morehouse, but finally decided on the 'House because I felt their focus on training black men to be leaders spoke more to where I wanted to be in life...plus my parent's house was three subway stops away and nothing beat free home cooked food.

My decision not to go to Howard or Hampton though wasn't made on any definciency on their part and I am certain I would have just as a fulfilling college experience. Which is important as I have realized now all these years later it really doesn't matter where you go to school if you are going to work in most of Corporate America. All they care about is if you show up on time, do your work, and don't shoot up the office. So I feel honored to have do a little extra during my four year stint.

I also want to be clear about something else. Aside from the big seven, there are a lot of quality HBCUs to choose from. Though the list is too long for me to write here someone can get as good of an education at Florida AM, BCC (err, BCU), Southern, Tennessee State, CAU, South Carolina State than most non-HBCU state schools. To think otherwise would be disrespectful to those institutions and the service they provide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City