Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better Summer.?
Minneapolis 21 20.59%
Denver 44 43.14%
Chicago 43 42.16%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 05:02 PM

34 posts, read 79,815 times

Advertisements

^ actually its 95.
I'm a full supporter of Minneapolis, but it seems like some people on here are trying to erase the "Cold, un-survivable winter" sterotype by making it seem like the summers are always hot like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 05:15 PM

252 posts, read 492,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eiryhk14 View Post
^ actually its 95.
I'm a full supporter of Minneapolis, but it seems like some people on here are trying to erase the "Cold, un-survivable winter" sterotype by making it seem like the summers are always hot like this.
Thanks for the correction.

I don't think anyone is trying to claim summers are always like this. Someone stated summer days can be humid and all hell broke loose. Apparently there is also a stereotype about Minnesota summer temps. never reaching above 70 degrees.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:11 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,872,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
It gets warm in the summer, but not like this. This wave is warmer than we've been in 6 years, not even counting the dew point. This isn't a "couple times a summer" type of thing. Our weather just stated how the high temp of 100 degrees has happened on 0.2% of all days in Chicago since the mid 1800's. Something like 1 in 5 years will see temps of 100 degrees or more.
I have the data for the Twin CIties at my disposal....what claim are you refuting exactly?

Old 07-21-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
^ actually its 95.
When people from MN tell others that it's "not as bad as you may think", or that "it can get pretty warm here, despite what you may think", I find the reaction from outsiders kind of ridiculous. Nobody is claiming MN is a hot death trap -- or a perfect place. It's not a "we're so hot, oh please pray for us" kind of rhetoric, it's just helping people understand that the weather in MN isn't all about the cold, and that it -- like other cities -- can get damn hot in the summer.

It gets to the upper 90's with high humidity several times every summer. This heat wave is especially hot, but heat waves like this (with indices over 110) aren't entirely uncommon.

Old 07-23-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
When people from MN tell others that it's "not as bad as you may think", or that "it can get pretty warm here, despite what you may think", I find the reaction from outsiders kind of ridiculous. Nobody is claiming MN is a hot death trap -- or a perfect place. It's not a "we're so hot, oh please pray for us" kind of rhetoric, it's just helping people understand that the weather in MN isn't all about the cold, and that it -- like other cities -- can get damn hot in the summer.

It gets to the upper 90's with high humidity several times every summer. This heat wave is especially hot, but heat waves like this (with indices over 110) aren't entirely uncommon.
Understandable, but it just seems like some exaggerate the summers here for some reason.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Understandable, but it just seems like some exaggerate the summers here for some reason.
I think it's exaggerated compared to the average city, but it's not exaggerated compared to the statement: "Minnesota is always cold", or "it never gets hot in MN". THEN it makes complete sense. I don't know about you, but I find the summers in the Twin Cities to be quite warm, especially in July. Downright "hot"? No. Very very warm? Yes. Surprisingly so.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
I think it's exaggerated compared to the average city, but it's not exaggerated compared to the statement: "Minnesota is always cold", or "it never gets hot in MN". THEN it makes complete sense. I don't know about you, but I find the summers in the Twin Cities to be quite warm, especially in July. Downright "hot"? No. Very very warm? Yes. Surprisingly so.
I think the weather here is nice (even in the winter). Its only the wimps who complain

Old 07-23-2011, 08:40 PM

Couldn't have said it better myself!!!

Old 07-23-2011, 08:51 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,441,265 times
Quote:
I think the weather here is nice (even in the winter). Its only the wimps who complain
This. >=]

Old 07-24-2011, 12:35 AM

604 posts, read 1,520,818 times
Denver has nice summers compared to Minneapolis and Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City