Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: US City with the best Mexican Food
San Diego 26 7.49%
Los Angeles 82 23.63%
SF Bay Area 20 5.76%
Phoenix/Tucson 20 5.76%
Albuquerque/Santa Fe 36 10.37%
El Paso 15 4.32%
San Antonio 46 13.26%
Houston 28 8.07%
Dallas 14 4.03%
New York City 4 1.15%
Chicago 27 7.78%
Somewhere else 29 8.36%
Voters: 347. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 02:53 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,404,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
Well this can be said for just about anything, a small town in Tennessee can have some really good Chinese, maybe to the quality one can find in SF or LA but does that really make it on par with those 2? Not only that but lets say that scenario is true I'm pretty sure you would have to pay a lot more in Tennessee for a quality Chinese meal the likes that you will find in CA.
Where would you go to get the best Basque food in the US? by the logic of some you go to a big city they are bound to have it....because...because because well they are well big. How then can Boise have the best basque food in the US by my taste buds? They arent big but have the expertise (includes experience which NYC lacks in mexican food) and know what good basque food tastes like. I think size is highly over rated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 02:54 PM

90 posts, read 94,834 times
Quote:
I would probably say the Bay and Chicago might be neck and neck, seriously though no city on the eastcoast should even be listed on the poll
Well, there are some good Mexican Taquerias here in Queens, especially in Corona and East Elmhurst. I wouldn't say its all terrible. After all, NYC is an extremely large city. In fact, according to the census, NYC has more Mexicans than San Diego, which is on the border.

And besides, its a subjective question to begin with. It's people's opinions.

I think Chicago is being sold short here though.

896 posts, read 1,169,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
That's debatable. There are towns along the New Mexico, Arizona and Texas borders that are probably more like Mexico.
those are towns try major cities

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MostInterestingPoster3 View Post
Despite all that, Chicago hasn't been thrown out more there or discussed in this thread.

Hell, NYC is being talked about more. I would at least think Chicago beats out somewhere like the Bay Area.
What exactly is being beat out? In Chicago and the Bay Area both, you can find amazing Mexican food. Which is better is going to be subjective.

I second BanjanYankees post. Once you reach a critical mass, it gets blurry.

Old 03-09-2012, 02:56 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
What type of Mexican dishes are they serving in Los Angeles that can't be found in any city with a large Mexican population?

Old 03-09-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
What type of Mexican dishes are they serving in Los Angeles that can't be found in any city with a large Mexican population?
same can be said of any other food, it's quality and authenticity that counts you know this already, and what's with your CA obsession anyways? Shouldn't you be in the "whats the most authentic italian food outside of NYC" discussion? Your'e an eastcoaster you have no say in this, you probably think baja fresh is authentic LOL

Old 03-09-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
same can be said of any other food, it's quality and authenticity that counts you know this already, and what's with your CA obsession anyways? Shouldn't you be in the "whats the most authentic italian food outside of NYC" discussion? Your'e an eastcoaster you have no say in this, you probably think baja fresh is authentic LOL
I think it only makes a difference when a city doesn't have a cuisine at all. Of all the cuisines available in the United States, Mexican is not a very hard one to find.

Old 03-09-2012, 03:15 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,515,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
What exactly is being beat out? In Chicago and the Bay Area both, you can find amazing Mexican food. Which is better is going to be subjective.

I second BanjanYankees post. Once you reach a critical mass, it gets blurry.
There's good Mexican food in a lot parts of the country these days--and there should be considering the number of Mexican immigrants and Mexican-Americans. The Bay Area has great authentic Mexican even though the most original thing that developed in the area was the Mission-Style Burrito--which has basically become the tempate for American burritos throughout the country. But you can eat those-which can be delicious--or you can find authentic places either high end or on the cheap, especially in Oakland these days. I'm sure Chicago has a similar mix, though I've never eaten Mexican there. Mexico is very much a food obsessed culture--I've travelled to much of Mexico and you can always find something good on average, so obviously with the number of Mexicans in the US it's not that rare.

I think the places that really stand out have something a little more unique. If it's good carne asada or pastor you want, that's not hard to find in most places with a Mexican population. Something like good Mexican seafood dishes or mole poblano might be a little more difficult to find, but it's still available. Good Yucatecan or real Oaxacan cuisine is a little harder to find--or other specific regional styles, although this is improving throughout the country as well. A place like Los Angeles stands out because you can find a lot of regional styles--I've heard that some cities in Texas have a similar mix. New Mexican food stands out as well, even though it's a regional creation--it's up there with Lousiana Creole food as an American regional style--and at it's heart, it's still a Mexican-based cuisine.

Last edited by Deezus; 03-09-2012 at 03:32 PM..

Old 03-09-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
I think it only makes a difference when a city doesn't have a cuisine at all. Of all the cuisines available in the United States, Mexican is not a very hard one to find.
Of course not either is Italian and Chinese so I guess you feel the same about them right?

Old 03-09-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Of course not either is Italian and Chinese so I guess you feel the same about them right?
How many cities have large Italian or Chinese populations? Mexicans, on the other hand, are a rapidly increasing population in many cities.

Last edited by CaseyB; 03-09-2012 at 04:37 PM.. Reason: off topic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City