Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: US City with the best Mexican Food
San Diego 26 7.49%
Los Angeles 82 23.63%
SF Bay Area 20 5.76%
Phoenix/Tucson 20 5.76%
Albuquerque/Santa Fe 36 10.37%
El Paso 15 4.32%
San Antonio 46 13.26%
Houston 28 8.07%
Dallas 14 4.03%
New York City 4 1.15%
Chicago 27 7.78%
Somewhere else 29 8.36%
Voters: 347. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 12:58 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,410,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
That's similar to what I've been saying, but it's fallen on def ears.
Yeah, I don think anyone is saying New York is lacking in numbers, but something is missing overall. Even New Yorkers recognize this. I've only eaten at a few Mexican joints there--I generally play to a city's strengths when I visit so I avoid Mexican food in NYC (everyone should do that; nothing more annoying than NEers bitching about the "pies" in SoCal; you got some of the best ethnic eateries in the U.S. here, for bargain prices. Shut up and eat.). I think geographic location plays a role in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 12:59 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
That's not the point you made. You said that "any city with a large black population will have good soul food." So then my question to you was whether that logic also holds up when applied to Mexicans? The variation within the cuisine is immaterial.
IT IS!!?!?! Ok.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:00 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Yeah, there's different variations of Southern food. But Southern food and Soul food are two different things. Soul Food is a "sub-variation" of Southern food. How many different variation are there of Soul Food specifically? And are there enough to compare it to Mexican cuisine?
What? Why did you think I said southern food instead of soul food in the first place? There's some local variation in soul food, I'm sure, but I think soul to southern food's relationship is akin to oaxacan to mexican--and this doesn't mean oaxacan doesn't have some internal variation, just that it's a sub-category. I would venture to say that southern cuisine is actually as broad as Mexican though.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
But I could eat the Mexican food in Los Angeles, find it disgusting, and then your whole argument would fall apart, right?
Switch Mexican with Italian and Los Angeles with NYC. Then what do you think?

Old 03-16-2012, 01:04 PM

637 posts, read 1,014,583 times
I'm sorry, but the logic presented here by many of the California posters would support the contention that NYC is in fact, the #1 city for Chinese food, seeing as how the city itself has more Chinese than either San Francisco or Los Angeles, if going by "numbers" and "authenticity" considering there are more Chinese here and more of those Chinese are immigrants.

But yet that isn't accepted. I wonder why that is?

There's obviously that goes more into the food than number of people. There are intangibles that should be considered.

However, at the end of the day, it is all opinion based anyways.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:05 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
And that's fair. But all those nationalities you named is common knowledge that NYC has an abundance of. Italian? Jewish? Dominican? What person who knows of NYC didn't know NYC had alot of those?
That's not my point. My point in responding to munchitup was that NYC is known for so many different communities. There's not one particular culture or group that's even close to being dominant. Not even close. Even within broad racial categories, there's no hegemony by any one group. African Americans, for example, are experiencing waning political influence at the hands of West Indians and Africans. There's no other city in the United States that has that dynamic. And the influence of Puerto Ricans, Dominicans and Ecuadorians is shrinking as the influence of Mexicans grows. And the Mexicans who come from the border states, where they were accustomed to being the "head honcho" minority, are now forced to sit third string on the bench behind the Ricans and Dominicanos.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:06 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,559,233 times
Quote:
That's not the point you made. You said that "any city with a large black population will have good soul food." So then my question to you was whether that logic also holds up when applied to Mexicans? The variation within the cuisine is immaterial.
I asked this previously, but I guess it escaped your notice.

Did you vote for NYC?

Old 03-16-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Yeah, I don think anyone is saying New York is lacking in numbers, but something is missing overall. Even New Yorkers recognize this. I've only eaten at a few Mexican joints there--I generally play to a city's strengths when I visit so I avoid Mexican food in NYC (everyone should do that; nothing more annoying than NEers bitching about the "pies" in SoCal; you got some of the best ethnic eateries in the U.S. here, for bargain prices. Shut up and eat.). I think geographic location plays a role in it.
It isn't that complicated to understand. I said you'll probably find some hidden gems in NYC, but is NYC really all that comparable to the cities on the list? Yeah, I know NYC technically has more Mexicans than some of the cities, but the other cities have a higher percentage and a larger demand. Being a smaller city kinda helps with the demand.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:09 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,559,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Foodie 215 View Post
I'm sorry, but the logic presented here by many of the California posters would support the contention that NYC is in fact, the #1 city for Chinese food, seeing as how the city itself has more Chinese than either San Francisco or Los Angeles, if going by "numbers" and "authenticity" considering there are more Chinese here and more of those Chinese are immigrants.

There's obviously that goes more into the food than number of people. There are intangibles that should be considered.

Is 40% of NYC of Asian descent?

Old 03-16-2012, 01:10 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,846,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Foodie 215 View Post

Except we are not saying that, we are arguing the opposite. Cities in the west and southwest have the best Mexican food, they just do and NYC homers are just going to have to live with the fact they aren't the best in every category.

Bajan drudged up an old post by someone where they said the best place for soul food is wherever has the most black people, which is extremely annoying (as someone who has had it happen to) and probably violates the TOS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City