Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: US City with the best Mexican Food
San Diego 26 7.49%
Los Angeles 82 23.63%
SF Bay Area 20 5.76%
Phoenix/Tucson 20 5.76%
Albuquerque/Santa Fe 36 10.37%
El Paso 15 4.32%
San Antonio 46 13.26%
Houston 28 8.07%
Dallas 14 4.03%
New York City 4 1.15%
Chicago 27 7.78%
Somewhere else 29 8.36%
Voters: 347. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 01:17 PM

637 posts, read 1,014,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Is 40% of NYC of Asian descent?
No, but why would it need to be for there to be good Chinese food?

1) China =/= Asia. Many of the Asians in a place like San Francisco aren't even Chinese.
2) The neighborhoods that do have above 40%+ Asian population added together would make up a larger city than San Francisco. Queens itself is 22% Asian, and that has a population of 2.5 million which is larger than Alameda and San Francisco Counties combined.

Quote:
Except we are not saying that, we are arguing the opposite. Cities in the west and southwest have the best Mexican food, they just do and NYC homers are just going to have to live with the fact they aren't the best in every category.
I can agree to that, but I'm just trying to say that all the hyperbole isn't helping. To say that there is absolutely no good Mexican food in NYC, nor will there ever be is just plain preposterous. It's not like all of a sudden, Los Angeles Mexican food sprouted out of the ground before any people lived there. These things take time to develop.

NYC isn't the best at every category, but it sure as hell isn't the worst at every category either. Both extremes are very annoying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 01:18 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Switch Mexican with Italian and Los Angeles with NYC. Then what do you think?
Why do you keep making this comparison? Where is the Italian community in Los Angeles? Here's what "non-boosting" posters have to say about it in the LA forum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
There are no major italian communities in the area that I know of. People are spread out all over. My family moved from Jamestown, NY to Torrance, CA 50+ years ago, and there are smatterings of Italians in the area, but nothing that would constitute a community.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
There's a saying that when Italian Americans have a meeting in Los Angeles its held in a broom closet.lol Forget finding a good Italian restaurant in this town too because most of them are owned by Middle Eastern people.:-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
When I lived in SoCal, I found all of the "white" ethnicities to be watered-down....like, my friend was Italian but didn't know about any of the Italian traditions like Seven Fishes on Christmas Eve, etc. Nor did she know about "gravy" (or maybe that's just a South Philly term?). Similarly, I couldn't find any much Irish tradition or culture, either. If you want a strong Italian community, stick to the East Coast. You will find it VERY different in Southern CA. Nevertheless, I would still like to move back for that gorgeous weather -- it is perfect, IMO.
Now let's see what New Yorkers have to say about the Mexican community in NYC:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Lots of mexicans live on 138 street in the bronx. I remember when mexicans started to that area twenty years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by latikeriii View Post
The number is growing expontenially though. Every borough, Long Island, and NJ has a significant Mexican population. There is also a growing number of Mexican-Americans from other states mainly Texas and California. They're basically transplants, not immigrants.

Do a search for Mexicans in NYC and there is a long thread on this subject already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortRichmonder View Post
Tons of Mexicans on Staten Island these days. They have strongholds in African-American communities like Port Richmond, Tompkinsville and Stapleton, as well as presences in every other corner of the borough where there's black and/or Hispanics. They're even scattered throughout some lily-white areas of the Island.

Ehh, bring 'em on. They don't bother me any.
So Los Angeles, according to posters in the LA forum, doesn't really have any Italian communities. Compare that to the New York region where there are towns and neighborhoods that are 50 percent Italian and higher. There's a good reason to believe that the Italian food in NYC would be better.

But New York also has a large Mexican community that is still very much in touch with its Mexican heritage. These are Mexicans from Mexico making the food. That's why your comparison doesn't make any sense.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:22 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Foodie 215 View Post
No, but why would it need to be for there to be good Chinese food?

1) China =/= Asia. Many of the Asians in a place like San Francisco aren't even Chinese.
2) The neighborhoods that do have above 40%+ Asian population added together would make up a larger city than San Francisco. Queens itself is 22% Asian, and that has a population of 2.5 million which is larger than Alameda and San Francisco Counties combined.

I can agree to that, but I'm just trying to say that all the hyperbole isn't helping. To say that there is absolutely no good Mexican food in NYC, nor will there ever be is just plain preposterous. It's not like all of a sudden, Los Angeles Mexican food sprouted out of the ground before any people lived there. These things take time to develop.

NYC isn't the best at every category, but it sure as hell isn't the worst at every category either. Both extremes are very annoying.
One person said it was the worst. Does it really warrant 5+ pages talking about an extremely mediocre city for Mexican food? Who cares about spots 10-30 in this list. We are looking for the best in the US, so this competition is LA, SD, SF, cities in AZ, NM, and Texas, with CO having some pull too.

New York should have been discussed for a page at most in this thread.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:23 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
That's not my point. My point in responding to munchitup was that NYC is known for so many different communities. There's not one particular culture or group that's even close to being dominant. Not even close. Even within broad racial categories, there's no hegemony by any one group. African Americans, for example, are experiencing waning political influence at the hands of West Indians and Africans. There's no other city in the United States that has that dynamic. And the influence of Puerto Ricans, Dominicans and Ecuadorians is shrinking as the influence of Mexicans grows. And the Mexicans who come from the border states, where they were accustomed to being the "head honcho" minority, are now forced to sit third string on the bench behind the Ricans and Dominicanos.
I agree with your points and all, but I think it's a pretty far argument for NYC having the best Mexican food.

It's probably best to just leave it as NYC has good Mexican food and a good lot of other foods, but Los Angeles and probably a good half dozen cities top NYC for Mexican.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I agree with your points and all, but I think it's a pretty far argument for NYC having the best Mexican food.
Please quote me saying this.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Why do you keep making this comparison? Where is the Italian community in Los Angeles? Here's what "non-boosting" posters have to say about it in the LA forum?

Now let's see what New Yorkers have to say about the Mexican community in NYC:

So Los Angeles, according to posters in the LA forum, doesn't really have any Italian communities. Compare that to the New York region where there are towns and neighborhoods that are 50 percent Italian and higher. There's a good reason to believe that the Italian food in NYC would be better.

But New York also has a large Mexican community that is still very much in touch with its Mexican heritage. These are Mexicans from Mexico making the food. That's why your comparison doesn't make any sense.
Which is why if this was about Italian food, you wouldn't have a bunch of LA residents trying to interject and make the thread about LA. LA has decent Italian food, but is nowhere near even a top 20 list of cities for Italian.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Then why the f*** are we still talking about New York, maybe the 15th or 20th best city to get Mexican food in the US?

Egotism. That is why.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:29 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
No, you're not saying this, but it's what the topic is about, right? The train's kind of derailed isn't it?

Old 03-16-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Which is why if this was about Italian food, you wouldn't have a bunch of LA residents trying to interject and make the thread about LA. LA has decent Italian food, but is nowhere near even a top 20 list of cities for Italian.
LA residents wouldn't have a leg to stand on because Los Angeles doesn't have an Italian community.

It's that simple.

New York City, on the other hand, does have a Mexican community. There are places in the area where I can point people to and they actually find, well, Mexicans.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:31 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,410,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post

It's probably best to just leave it as NYC has good Mexican food and a good lot of other foods, but Los Angeles and probably a good half dozen cities top NYC for Mexican.
What about the other border states? Their location and historical roots to Mexico give them a leg up on New York as well IMO, even if a lot of these cities lack the sheer numbers NYC does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City