Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: US City with the best Mexican Food
San Diego 26 7.49%
Los Angeles 82 23.63%
SF Bay Area 20 5.76%
Phoenix/Tucson 20 5.76%
Albuquerque/Santa Fe 36 10.37%
El Paso 15 4.32%
San Antonio 46 13.26%
Houston 28 8.07%
Dallas 14 4.03%
New York City 4 1.15%
Chicago 27 7.78%
Somewhere else 29 8.36%
Voters: 347. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 03:42 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,364,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
BTW there are quite a few Cuban restaurants in LA, mainly in and around Culver City.
Culver City (LA suburb) has historically been a Cuban stronghold, so that's no surprise. Versailles, at Motor and Venice, was "alone" for quite a while ... and then they went "chain." Where are the Chilean, Brazilian and Argentinean restaurants? Argentinean parilladas are generally not cheap because of the high-quality steaks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 04:00 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,851,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
well I am part "black hispanic" and have eaten all the PR, DR, Cuban food before now I am one who loves spicy food so to me Mexican food blows them out of the water now of course this is just IMO, my mom cooks Honduran food and though I do like it I always tell her to make it spicy for me and she ends up putting in ingredients from Mexican dishes, don't get me wrong I do like some good Honduran, PR, DR, and Cuban but just going off my love of spicy food and personal taste Mexican IMO is better and more varied.
I don't know about everyone else but I am trusting this guy.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:45 PM

896 posts, read 1,169,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Culver City (LA suburb) has historically been a Cuban stronghold, so that's no surprise. Versailles, at Motor and Venice, was "alone" for quite a while ... and then they went "chain." Where are the Chilean, Brazilian and Argentinean restaurants? Argentinean parilladas are generally not cheap because of the high-quality steaks.
Well Cuban can be found in multiple places, my favorite one though is in Downey on Rio Hondo st., there's a few Argentine places in culver, I know for sure there's one open on centinela and Washington next to the comic store, also one on Sepulveda don't know the cross street though, Brazilian isn't hard to find, there's a few in the same vicinity on Washington between centinela and Sepulveda

Old 03-12-2012, 07:01 PM

637 posts, read 1,015,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
There are tons of Mexican restaurants in NYC. And tons of Mexican "hole in the wall" joints in Harlem and the Bronx.
I think the best Mexican places in NYC are in Queens and Brooklyn. There's a HUGE Mexican community in Corona, Queens and around Prospect Park, Brooklyn.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:33 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,935,022 times
Corona Queens I've definitely heard of. Still wouldn't put NYC on that level though.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:48 PM

637 posts, read 1,015,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Corona Queens I've definitely heard of. Still wouldn't put NYC on that level though.
Mexicans Are Now New York City's Fastest Growing Ethnic Group | Press Room @ Teachers College
http://web.gc.cuny.edu/lastudies/lat...20-%202010.pdf

What will it take for NYC to reach that level?

Old 03-12-2012, 08:56 PM

814 posts, read 1,475,100 times
It will probably take New York being renamed Nuevo York

Old 03-12-2012, 08:58 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,413,273 times
Who knows. Theoretically, it should already be above average(400k of any ethnic group is nothing to sneeze at) yet it gets hammered for its Mexican offerings all the time. Some of those criticisms might be stereotype-based (like the myth that L.A.'s Italian is horrible garbage), but I honestly think NYC's location hurts it IMO. As someone said, Mexican doesnt travel well.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:09 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,580,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
When I think of Tex-Mex, I think of lots and lots of spices, rich and flavorful sauces and salsas, and yes: cheese. I really don't know how anyone can think of Tex Mex as "bland," when if anything, it tends to be more spiced-up and sauced than a regular street taco!
What I learned when I would go away from Texas, especially to the north, the stuff they'd call Tex Mex was sometimes a world away than what we ate down there.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:18 PM

896 posts, read 1,169,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Who knows. Theoretically, it should already be above average(400k of any ethnic group is nothing to sneeze at) yet it gets hammered for its Mexican offerings all the time. Some of those criticisms might be stereotype-based (like the myth that L.A.'s Italian is horrible garbage), but I honestly think NYC's location hurts it IMO. As someone said, Mexican doesnt travel well.
This, plus lack of access to fresh ingredients, also NYC is a newcomer to mexican food it takes generations of families to actually get a well established community, a city just can't all of sudden gain a bunch of immigrants and therefore you will get good food out of that, there has to be a demand for it, some of the mexicans might eat dominican or puerto rican as an alternative and fresh ingredients means only restaurants with high prices could dish out a quality meal, something most of the newcomers are probably not willing to pay for. As more generations pass usually the members of the community with more cash in their pocket will be willing to pay for that fresh ingredient, but I don't ever think NYC will ever be on the level of LA or SA or El Paso
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City