Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2011, 01:01 PM

345 posts, read 833,260 times

Advertisements

Is it just me or are St. Paul and Pittsburgh really similar? I find them to be near identical except size. let me break this down for all of thos who don't notice any similarities.

Population: Pitt's population is around 305,00 people. St. Paul's population is just over 285,000 people.
The metros are roughly the same, but St. Paul has Minneapolis to add a larger metro.
They each are the second largest cities in their state.

Urban-ness: Both cities are very historic and have great urbanity. The houses are very unique and they both have incredible architecture. They both have the same population density (5,500 people).

Downtown: Obviously St. Paul has a smaller downtown but the cities have roughly the same foot traffic. Both skylines are very cool, St. Paul's skyline looks like a miniature of Pittsburgh's. They both have unique art deco and have a fair share of steel structures.

Topography: Both cities are located on a river(s). Both have rolling hills and many bluffs.

Extra: Both cities are past their prime and have been declining over the years. However, they are starting to regain population and are undergoing massive redevelopment and gentrification.

Is it only me that notices these similarities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 05:26 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,150,954 times
Pittsburgh is bigger than St. Paul by more than the numbers. Pitt shrunk alot in recent years. It's infrastructure is that of a city Clevelands size. To me Pittsburgh is more like Minneapolis. Take away St. Paul and that is a good comparison. MSA of Pittsburgh to the MSA of Minneapolis minus St. Paul.

But I don't see the similarities one bit. Skyline wise, Pitt is better than Minneapolis. I would rank the city neighborhoods of Pittsburgh higher than the neighborhoods of Minneapolis. So why would you put it against St. Paul? I just don't see it.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:46 PM

345 posts, read 833,260 times
I think St. Paul is more like Pitt than Minneapolis because of the historic architecture, the hills and bluffs (which aren't in Minneapolis), and the overall vibe.
Minneapolis is making fast strides whereas St. Paul and Pitt are taking steps to overcoming their downfall, both are overcoming their losses. Minneapolis never had a downturn and is consistant in growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City