Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 04:00 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,517,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
The Raiders are an odd team. They have rabid, loyal fans that I would never call fair weather. The amount of people with Raider tattoos I've seen at my gym is disturbing. LA still has Raider teams stores there. BUT they can't sell out their games and have a ton of blackouts. I'm sure their attendance started to suffer when CA passed its Three Strikes law. Maybe when CA is forced to release 30,000 inmates from it's overcrowded prisons due to a federal mandate, that may help attendance. Although the new gang injunction in Oakland may dampen that a bit since that prohibits gang members from hanging out with each other. Although they could buy single tickets and by themselves in different parts of the stadium.

Go A's btw, the team is handing out MC Hammer bobbleheads this Sunday. How awesome is that? haha
I enjoyed your entire post, but the quoted sections were probably the funniest thing I've read on the City vs. City forum in a while...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 02:12 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,640,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
Not that awesome, considering MC Hammer never played major league baseball and the team is 12 games behind Texas.
he used to be a bat boy, excuse the A's for doing something original. Yeah they suck but ill supoort them through thick and thin.

Old 07-15-2011, 02:17 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,517,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
he used to be a bat boy, excuse the A's for doing something original. Yeah they suck but ill supoort them through thick and thin.
Yeah, MC Hammer got his name as a kid when he was an A's batboy because someone said he looked like Hank "Hammer" Aaron.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:50 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,935,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858;20032400[I
]he used to be a bat boy[/i], excuse the A's for doing something original. Yeah they suck but ill support them through thick and thin.
Yeah, I remember seeing that on the MC Hammer movie that came out like ten or so years ago.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:42 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,958,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
yea... haha uh i read the first couple of pages and couldn't believe that some didn't get that. i mean you obviously listed some of the most sports enthused cities in america. oh well, sarcasm is always hard on the internet.

I'd have to say Atlanta. I mean honestly to regularly not sell out tickets for playoff games... pathetic. they've also lost not one... but two NHL teams... pretty sad.
So a sunbelt city doesn't do well with hockey? Who would have figured? Great business ventures there. Guess that doesn't bode well for all of those transplants.

Anyway, Atlanta can't be included on any list of this sort simply because of the Braves. They may not always be sold out, but the Braves have one of the widest TV and radio networks in the league, and believe me, support is rabid, if not overly critical. The thing is, the Braves are the first topic of conversation in the morning all over the state, not just Atlanta. Just because we don't throw batteries at the opposing team's players and fans doesn't mean we don't love our team.

There is also plenty of support for the Falcons.

And like some others have said, don't even get me started on college sports support in Georgia. It's unlike anything you've ever seen(unless you are from Alabama).

Old 07-15-2011, 08:47 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,935,022 times
If we include College Football, than ATL is VERY "Sportive".

Old 07-16-2011, 09:18 PM

996 posts, read 1,896,658 times
Charlotte loves college hoops more than anything ( talking bout the non-transplants), and the transplants like me love other cities' teams.

My vote goes to Charlotte for professional sports, so many fairweather fans aswell.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:44 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,640,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
LOL all good bruh. At least you have the balls/decency to acknowledge the truth about the team's support when I imagine it must be tempting to rip them haha. And I think the A's do get a raw deal when it comes to acknowledging all that they have accomplished over the years. But damn man, the A's fans that are truly dedicated like yourself or about 100 of my friends are eclipsed by the fairweather fans that start making noise all of a sudden ONLY when the A's are winning.

I had like 3 or 4 friends talking A's baseball on the regular on my Facebook feed a few weeks back, and no more than that making so much as a peep when we swept you guys. And most of my Giants folks stayed quiet too. Then all of a sudden y'all come back and sweep us, and THE SECOND game 3 was done I heard so much sh*t talked it was ridiculous! Lol. So I give it to those of you who are true fans, and I know our numbers are completely diluted right now with our overfilled bandwagon (which is annoying as hell btw lol). But I'd be lying if I didn't say the majority of A's fans are fairweather. I'm sure I don't have to tell you b/c I'm pretty sure I've heard you vent about that crap too, but I do respect the ones like you who keep it real.
It's true as much as I hate to admit it, we have a very small fanbase now and a lot are fair weather fans. We just have an awful stadium in an awful location so when they A's are not winning, which is quite often, we just have bad fan support overall. We take pride in what little victories we have now, like sweeping a rival like the Giants. But the one's that stick with the team through thick and thin are the best, I love the working class vibe of A's fans. Crappy stadium, crappy owner, medicore team, it aint easy being an A's fan these days but it is what it is but I take solace in knowing we are the historically better Bay Area baseball team
Quote:
That's all I've been trying to say. And I don't understand how so many people seem to think we're as bad as people are putting us in this thread. I've supported my teams my entire life and the vast majority of my friends have too. I've gotten in fights with people over this sh*t. I don't even know what percentage of my wardrobe is representing my teams, but its significant. My family has been going to Niner games at Kezar since the team was created.

But somehow sports don't matter that much here, apparently. *Shrugs* Whatever. Outsiders' perception doesn't negate the reality here, and I don't miss out on having a great time going to our games just b/c some folks think we're not spirited.

Really the only thing that boggles the mind about this is when I watch games in other stadiums. I've been paying attention more recently (in the last year really) b/c I've heard so much crap online and from hater-ass raider fans, etc. so I've been watching to see how much louder and more wild folks supposedly get. And I really haven't been impressed.

Even last year before the Giants had any expectations, watching us play in Atlanta sounded like a golf tourney, while our home games had all kinds of life. This year's not even worth getting into b/c of our recent success, but for the Niners its the same thing. There are only a handful of stadiums in the league that were as loud or louder than the Stick wherever we played, so I really don't get what some folks are talking about. Seattle's louder, Soldier Field is a little louder when we play there, and there are a few others.

But for example, our home games against the Saints on Mon. night and the Eagles which I was at were crazy loud! You wouldn't have had the announcers commenting on us chanting, "We want Carr!" when Alex was f-ing up too much if we weren't. So I'm really not feeling folks on this one. We might not be the top spot or even top 5, but how are we supposedly among the worst? Just doesn't make sense to me.
The Niners have great fan support, considering how awful the Stick is, it's amazing anyone goes to those games. The Bay Area sports scene can annoy me in ways, mainly fair weather fans who support both baseball teams which means supporting whoever is winning, but the fact remains that a lot of people in the Bay Area support their teams no matter what. Especially the Niners, they've sucked for a LONG time now but they have great fan support. You gotta gives the fans for filling that god awful stadium, haha. After living in SoCal, I do appreciate the Bay Area sports scene a bit better now.

on a side note, the MC Hammer bobblehead is one of the best, it SPINS! haha:

Last edited by sav858; 07-18-2011 at 01:10 AM..

Old 07-18-2011, 02:28 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,346,364 times
Bay Area sports are dominated by white suburban Giants and Niners fans, considering the ethnic makeup of the region and many sports offerings available. Local media both reflects and perpetuates this. All other teams fight for coverage while we get to hear about Buster Posey's bowel movements and why Alex Smith still sucks.

I don't hold that against the 49ers, though, because they have a legacy of success and fans that mostly fill the worst venue in major pro sports. The Giants, by comparison, are plastic and marketing. They were a very likeable team/organization in the '90s and early '00s but are just a corporate machine these days.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:57 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,313,423 times
definetley L.A., they lost 2 NFL teams and nobody gave a Rat's ass, I hate how Miami Heat Haters say Miami is a Fairweathered Sports Town, but they have never lost an NFL team before
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City