Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2012, 05:50 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,988,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovehockey85 View Post
Its not that I boost Philly either, is that you do anything to bring it down.
Listen I could live with folks saying Chicago is more important ladedada than SF Bay Area, TBH Chicago is a great city and I find myself more fascinated with it by the day. Phily on the other hand is rampantly boosted on this forum with no validation (besides GAWC and travel and leisure) by its posse and its foam in mouth followers. Many of whom I'm convinced don't even care for the city but are forced into submission by Phily's online gang. It's a ok city, that's what I'll leave it at despite feeling very strongly about not even saying that much.

US mayors http://usmayors.org/metroeconomies/0712/FullReport.pdf
US news National University | Rankings | Data | US News
US census American FactFinder List of United States primary statistical areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Forbes Welcome to Forbes
GfK custom research North America The Anholt-GfK Roper City Brands Index
FP The Most Dynamic Cities of 2025 | Foreign Policy
theatlanticcities America's Most Powerful Global Cities - Jobs & Economy - The Atlantic Cities
AT Kearney http://www.atkearney.com/documents/1...5-2a3f14f0da3a
Demgraphia http://www.demographia.com/db-intlmetgdp2005.pdf
Zyen http://www.longfinance.net/Publications/GFCI%2012.pdf
Interbrand Interbrand - Best Global Brands 2012 - 2012 Report (Brand View)
Businessinsider 25 Cities Ranked In Order Of Importance - Business Insider
CNN Money Magazine/Forbes The Richest People in America - Forbes
Yahoo Yahoo! Homes - Home for Sale and Rent, Makeovers, Design and Décor, Real Estate
Higley1000 http://higley1000.com/archives/380
Michelin guide Michelin Travel & Lifestyle | Welcome to Michelin Travel & Lifestyle
Esquire Best Restaurant Cities - The Best Restaurant Cities in America 2010 - Esquire
Harris Interactive Harris Interactive: Harris Polls > 3 Sunny States Remain Top Choices for Where Americans Would Like to Live
BEA http://bea.gov/iTable/index_error_regional.cfm
PRWeb Vancouver Voted City With the World
Global language monitor London Edges New York for Top 2012 Global Fashion Capital | The Global Language Monitor
The Economist/Citigroup http://www.managementthinking.eiu.co...ot%20Spots.pdf
US visitors bureau http://tinet.ita.doc.gov/outreachpag...and_Cities.pdf
US department of homeland security http://www.dhs.gov/yearbook-immigrat...tistics-2011-1

etc etc, hundreds maybe thousands of publications that place it lowly or ignore it altogether because they don't think its worthy of being on there and IMO I don't either. Only on this forum with the myriad of delusional folks that get such a hard on and tear their pants off on their desk chair and start reaching for their lower organs does that city get so much praise. I've lived in the east Ace, I live in the west now, and I've traveled to 4 different continents before and have spent months in China and you cant fool me the way the folks on this forum try to by putting it up there. If it wasn't for its GDP and size, it wouldn't even crack my own list of most important cities and TBH it brings me great displeasure having to put it up there, good news is Atlanta, Miami, and Seattle are surging so looks like I wont have to forever. LOL "A team" give me a ---- break bruh.

I don't hate Phily (that much) as it seems, I just look at what they say, see they have no evidence for anything basically making things up and forcing other forumers into submission to agreeing with them, recount on my experience and begin thinking Moses the prophet owns a condo there and come to the conclusion that they're completely delusional. It's urban, historic, has decent PT, is a big city, close to NYC and DC, has UPenn, and is a cheap price and that's all it has going for it IMO.

Last edited by scrantiX; 10-09-2012 at 05:58 PM..

Old 10-09-2012, 05:54 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Tulsa, Cheyenne, Duluth, Yakima, and Winnipeg.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:58 PM

318 posts, read 467,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
Listen I could live with folks saying Chicago is more important ladedada than SF Bay Area, TBH Chicago is a great city and I find myself more fascinated with it by the day. Phily on the other hand is rampantly boosted on this forum with no validation (besides GAWC and travel and leisure) by its posse and its foam in mouth followers. Many of whom I'm convinced don't even care for the city but are forced into submission by Phily's online gang. It's a ok city, that's what I'll leave it at despite feeling very strongly about not even saying that much.

US mayors http://usmayors.org/metroeconomies/0712/FullReport.pdf
US news National University | Rankings | Data | US News
US census American FactFinder List of United States primary statistical areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Forbes Welcome to Forbes
GfK custom research North America The Anholt-GfK Roper City Brands Index
FP The Most Dynamic Cities of 2025 | Foreign Policy
theatlanticcities America's Most Powerful Global Cities - Jobs & Economy - The Atlantic Cities
AT Kearney http://www.atkearney.com/documents/1...5-2a3f14f0da3a
Demgraphia http://www.demographia.com/db-intlmetgdp2005.pdf
Zyen http://www.longfinance.net/Publications/GFCI%2012.pdf
Interbrand Interbrand - Best Global Brands 2012 - 2012 Report (Brand View)
Businessinsider 25 Cities Ranked In Order Of Importance - Business Insider
CNN Money Magazine/Forbes The Richest People in America - Forbes
Yahoo Yahoo! Homes - Home for Sale and Rent, Makeovers, Design and Décor, Real Estate
Higley1000 http://higley1000.com/archives/380
Michelin guide Michelin Travel & Lifestyle | Welcome to Michelin Travel & Lifestyle
Esquire Best Restaurant Cities - The Best Restaurant Cities in America 2010 - Esquire
Harris Interactive Harris Interactive: Harris Polls > 3 Sunny States Remain Top Choices for Where Americans Would Like to Live
BEA Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, crime, house prices, cost of living, races, home value estimator, recent sales, income, photos, schools, maps, weather, neighborhoods, and more
PRWeb Vancouver Voted City With the World
Global language monitor London Edges New York for Top 2012 Global Fashion Capital | The Global Language Monitor
The Economist/Citigroup http://www.managementthinking.eiu.co...ot%20Spots.pdf
US visitors bureau http://tinet.ita.doc.gov/outreachpag...and_Cities.pdf
US department of homeland security Yearbook of Immigration Statistics: 2011 | Homeland Security

etc etc, hundreds maybe thousands of publications that place it lowly or ignore it altogether because they don't think its worthy of being on there and IMO I don't either. Only on this forum with the myriad of delusional folks that get such a hard on and tear their pants off on their desk chair and start reaching for their lower organs does that city get so much praise. I've lived in the east Ace, I live in the west now, and I've traveled to 4 different continents before and have spent months in China and you cant fool me the way the folks on this forum try to by putting it up there. If it wasn't for its GDP and size, it wouldn't even crack my own list of most important cities and TBH it brings me great displeasure having to put it up there, good news is Atlanta, Miami, and Seattle are surging so looks like I wont have to forever. LOL "A team" give me a ---- break bruh.

I don't hate Phily (that much) as it seems, I just look at what they say, see they have no evidence for anything, recount on my experience and begin thinking Moses the prophet owns a condo there and come to the conclusion that they're completely delusional. It's urban, historic, has decent PT, is a big city, has UPenn, and is a cheap price and that's all it has going for it IMO.

I think its more than that. Like you had an unpleasant experience there or something. You despise the hell out of it, the way only a person with a traumatic experience would.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:03 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
I think its more than that. Like you had an unpleasant experience there or something. You despise the hell out of it, the way only a person with a traumatic experience would.
So what's the explanation of your unending tirade against Los Angeles?

Old 10-09-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
So what's the explanation of your unending tirade against Los Angeles?

You see me doing it any other time?

Old 10-09-2012, 06:09 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
You see me doing it any other time?
Well considering you have been a member for 9 days at most, no.

But depending on what your old username was, most likely. It's usually the same 4 or 5 people.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:19 PM

184 posts, read 571,301 times
Time to get real:
NYC
Chicago
Toronto
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Old 10-09-2012, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Well considering you have been a member for 9 days at most, no.

But depending on what your old username was, most likely. It's usually the same 4 or 5 people.

No. I dont have an agenda. Well, maybe against the South I do, mainly because that region just drags the reputation of this country down.

Im not in any NY vs LA debates, or East/West.

Chicago and LA I seem to think are pretty even cities on the importance scale, but you have to pick one.

Most global rankings I read put Chicago ahead. Its impressive. LA is larger, but personally, I dont see anything it has hand over fist over Chicago other than Hollywood. Thats just me.

The global rankings (not all of them just use economics) give some credence to Chicago's stature, where many may not know where it stands between the two cities. Chicago fares pretty damn well though as a whole. Culturally and politically, LA is not above Chicago. Historically, either.

NYC is undoubtedly #1, but it says a lot when most people cant decide on #2. Its usually one or the other. Most would say Chicago is a smaller representation of NYC, so maybe thats why theyre less reluctant to put LA ahead even if LA is bigger. NY and Chicago are the two best representations of city living in the country.

LA's image relies a lot on Hollywood and the entertainment industry. Its also not your typical city as its more or less a string of suburbs. Chicago has a lot of different characteristics. LA doesnt.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:25 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeridianX View Post
What does Chicago makes or manufactures that makes some people think it has a better economic base than Los Angeles?
Los Angeles is a global center for the aerospace/aeronautics industries fallowed by the entertainment industry and
Trans-Pacific Trade, what does Chicago have to account for? I supposed that cattle slaughtering is not it's main method of substenance anymore, the mercantile exchange sells what's produced in the midwest, maybe manufacturing / services? frankly I don't think Chicago stands out in any bodys mind as an economic powerhouse unless you live in the midwest.
Boeing and United-Continental Airlines are based in Chicago...

Do these companies ring a bell for you for all things aero?

Are you living in the 19th century???

Chicago trades much more than that... CME Group in Chicago owns the New York Mercantile Exchange as well as the Dow Jones Industrial Average.

If you are in finance/economics.. you know Chicago. There is an entire "Chicago school of Economics" which shaped this country and many others. University of Chicago is huge historically in economics, and Northwestern is no slouch either. Northwestern prof Dale Mortenson won the nobel prize in economics just recently.
Northwestern Kellogg and Chicago Booth are two of the top 5 business schools in the United States and have been as long as these things have been tracked.
Chicago is a MAJOR player in global economics.

some other big ones and household names related to manufacturing/distribution/business and just big names...

CDW, OfficeMax, Redbox, Sears, Walgreens, True Value, Crate and Barrel, Aldi, Sanford, Thermos, Jewel-Osco, Fellowes, Motorola, Miller Coors, Pabst, Tropicana, Kraft, Quaker Oats, Sara Lee, Tootsie Roll, Wrigley, Ferrara Pan, Morton Salt, Groupon, Orbitz, CareerBuilder, U.S. Cellular, U.S. Robotics, Midway Video Games, Hyatt...

Lots of other companies have arms of their company in Chicago, particularly ones with HQ in NYC, as it is such a big globally connected business hub. An example is JPMorgan Chase, which has it's United States and Canadian commercial and retail banking headquarters in Chicago.

Chicago is extremely important legally as well, it has the top 2 largest law firms in the United States based there... Baker and McKenzie and DLA Piper.

Here is a nice quote on how significant Chicago was for the U.S.... and it isn't like NYC, but it's extremely important historically...

"Chicago shaped Playboy in ways I didn't realize at the time," Hefner wrote in last Sunday's Tribune. "New York City seemed a world away from the rest of America, sophisticated and socially advanced, detached from the remainder of the country. Chicago stood as the most significant representation of true, postwar America... The high-rises and subways brimmed with urban men who returned to the city after their experiences abroad and found themselves receptive to ideas that challenged their socially conservative surroundings. Interested in more than work and domestic security, longing for sexual adventure and enjoying the postwar financial boom, these men looked to spurn the restrictions of puritanical convention in favor of life as a single, city-bred male with a bachelor apartment and a proper martini. I counted myself among them."

Last edited by grapico; 10-09-2012 at 06:46 PM..

Old 10-09-2012, 06:26 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,410,810 times
Chicago has Asian cuisine, and much much more. Sure, the quality isnt as good, but thats the only leg up LA has. Hispanic food (where Chicago performs quite impressively actually, and IMO closing the gap). The more the Hispanic population booms, its only going to get better as far as quality goes. Everything else, American, Italian, German, Polish, Greek, Lebanese, Puerto Rican, Mexican, Pakistani, Indian, Korean, Viet, Thai, Chinese, Japanese, French, Ehtiopian, Scandinavian, Russian, Bosnian, Czech, Portuguese, BBQ, Tex Mex, Cajun, etc."Everything else, what? Everything else, what? You listed several cuisines that L.A. crushes Chicago in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City