Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 04:57 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times

Advertisements

I will only rank those on the list I've been to, each of which I think is great:

1. Kansas City
2. New Orleans
3. San Antonio

Of the remainder, the only ones I have would make an effort to visit are Memphis and possibly Louisville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 05:51 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,046,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I have been to Indy many many times and to the places you have mentioned.

I like Indy, but I would chose those other cities before it.

Maybe Indy is underated too, but I'm pretty sure most people that have never been to KC (or Indy) would rank Indy higher than KC when I honestly believe that Indy really doesn't compare well to KC. That's all I meant by that. For some reason KC is just ignored and very few people know just how much there is to do there or how urban the central city is or simply how large the metro really is. I know this more than ever now that I live away from KC. Most people think the city is about like Des Moines or Tulsa when it should be compared to places like Pittsburgh and Denver.
Agreed

Old 07-23-2011, 06:31 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,147,548 times
Quote:
I have been to Indy many many times and to the places you have mentioned.

I like Indy, but I would chose those other cities before it.

Maybe Indy is underated too, but I'm pretty sure most people that have never been to KC (or Indy) would rank Indy higher than KC when I honestly believe that Indy really doesn't compare well to KC. That's all I meant by that. For some reason KC is just ignored and very few people know just how much there is to do there or how urban the central city is or simply how large the metro really is. I know this more than ever now that I live away from KC. Most people think the city is about like Des Moines or Tulsa when it should be compared to places like Pittsburgh and Denver.
That's where your wrong seeing as Indy is the fastest growing metro in the midwest, 4th best economy out of all Midwest Metros, believe it not, Des Moines is actually the best economy right in the midwest (based off of real per capita gdp) and it's not even close between 1 and #2 Madison, 3. MSP, 4 Indy. 2nd best if you just use just the major metros. Some of the major differences is Indy is a state capital and KC isn't so the importance in each individual state is a lot different. Indy is truly ideally situated whereas the only city really by KCMO is well Wichita. There's better regional cooperation between core city and suburbs whereas Kansas isn't all that hospitable for you guys as they try to take everything anyway. Other than that both have about the same amount of amenities and the same amount of cultural things to do.

I don't think of KC when it comes to places to live any more than you do here. I'm not from Indy, I'm a transplant like a whole lot of other people and you're right most people don't really realize how much their hometown has to offer until they've been away for a while.

BTW don't let Des Moines fool you, they've got a lot going on.

Last edited by msamhunter; 07-23-2011 at 06:47 PM..

Old 07-23-2011, 06:45 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,440,587 times
Hell yeah we do! Haha, but even as a resident, I do still think KC and Indy are better cities. Indy is sort of what Des Moines wants to be. But DSM is really underrated, that's for sure.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:35 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
Des Moines is a great city. It's just not KC. Just like KC is not on the level of Chicago or even Minneapolis.

Indy is closer to KC than Des Moines, but I don't think they are equal, I think KC has the edge over Indy. Just my opinion.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:38 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTFan View Post
Rank these cities in the order that you would prefer to live in them.

San Antonio
Nashville
Jacksonville
Oklahoma City
Louisville
New Orleans
Charlotte
Memphis
Kansas City
Indianapolis
Louisville would be #1 with New Orleans as #2.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:52 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,159,099 times
Quote:
That is so true! haha. Sacramento would fall in the lower 3rd of this list if I were to include it. I like sacramento, but is so close to the bay area that is really doesn't have near as much as a more stand alone city like KC that is a destination big city for several hundred miles of the midwest. Plus, KC's urban core pretty much blows away Sacramento's urban core as far as just being a more attractive and built up city.

With exception of NOLA, I would not pick any cities on that list over SAC. And honestly I cant do dixie so even then, I wouldn't chose living there over Sac.

Old 07-23-2011, 11:12 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,111,073 times
Quote:
That is so true! haha. Sacramento would fall in the lower 3rd of this list if I were to include it. I like sacramento, but is so close to the bay area that is really doesn't have near as much as a more stand alone city like KC that is a destination big city for several hundred miles of the midwest. Plus, KC's urban core pretty much blows away Sacramento's urban core as far as just being a more attractive and built up city.

I like about half the cities on the list, and KC is great, but all things considered with location/region/weather, Sacramento could be very appealing.

Old 07-24-2011, 01:34 AM

1,348 posts, read 2,856,560 times
Quote:
Lower 3rd with this motley crew of cities? You are crazy.

I'm originally from SF, been in Sac for a few years primarily for my business. Sac has many shortcomings, most of them are directly due to being in the shadow of SF, which is truly a great world class city. I would also admit that out of this list of cities, Kansas City, San Antonio and New Orleans probably have a more interesting urban core than Sac.

But answer this, where in all of the cities listed here can you get within a 10-15 minute drive from nearly anywhere in the city the following things:

Dim Sum
Shwarma
Bibimbap
Sushi
Palabok
Hookah
Tapas
Piroshki
Pho

That's what I thought. Sacramento, despite all of it's faults, is still a CALIFORNIA city and has the amenities that are common to Californian cities which is great ethnic diversity, a liberal atmosphere and tolerance for all groups of people. Also, let me add that Sacramento's standing is really underrated precisely because it is in CA. If it was in the Midwest, it's standing would go way up. Sacramento is actually among the top 10 cities in the country as far as the percentage of the population being LGBT, bet most of you didn't know that.

So Kansas City, I suppose has it's cool parts. But it's in the Midwest and stranded there. It doesn't have the great diversity and also the proximity to some really awesome scenery, and also to one of the world's great cities. So that's why I really wouldn't want to live in any of those cities listed.

Also, let me add, the only good thing about New Orleans is the French quarter. The rest of that city is extremely third world.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:58 AM

1,037 posts, read 2,046,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
Lower 3rd with this motley crew of cities? You are crazy.

I'm originally from SF, been in Sac for a few years primarily for my business. Sac has many shortcomings, most of them are directly due to being in the shadow of SF, which is truly a great world class city. I would also admit that out of this list of cities, Kansas City, San Antonio and New Orleans probably have a more interesting urban core than Sac.

But answer this, where in all of the cities listed here can you get within a 10-15 minute drive from nearly anywhere in the city the following things:

Dim Sum
Shwarma
Bibimbap
Sushi
Palabok
Hookah
Tapas
Piroshki
Pho

That's what I thought. Sacramento, despite all of it's faults, is still a CALIFORNIA city and has the amenities that are common to Californian cities which is great ethnic diversity, a liberal atmosphere and tolerance for all groups of people. Also, let me add that Sacramento's standing is really underrated precisely because it is in CA. If it was in the Midwest, it's standing would go way up. Sacramento is actually among the top 10 cities in the country as far as the percentage of the population being LGBT, bet most of you didn't know that.

So Kansas City, I suppose has it's cool parts. But it's in the Midwest and stranded there. It doesn't have the great diversity and also the proximity to some really awesome scenery, and also to one of the world's great cities. So that's why I really wouldn't want to live in any of those cities listed.

Also, let me add, the only good thing about New Orleans is the French quarter. The rest of that city is extremely third world.
Delusional!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City