Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2011, 10:41 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,474,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
LOL. Who gives a f*ck?
Lol yeah sorry Montclair, I'm not seeing the relevance of that here either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
exactly. at least we don't savor the smell of our own gaseous effluence. Smug Alert (Season 10, Episode 2) - Full Episode Player - South Park Studios

I am absolutely certain I am not the first person to post that link.
Oh no the South Park ep again lol! Even I concede THIS TIME it was definitely warranted lol. Touche!

And you are absolutely correct about the bold. Its just that it usually has been brought up at a time when it didn't really apply. This time it actually did hit correctly lol!

I've asked this before, but why have we gotten that one thrown in our face so many times (today was understandable!) but you guys haven't had this one thrown at you repeatedly? I gotta at least even the score:

http://www.southparkstudios.com/full...a-jersey-thing

Old 08-04-2011, 10:45 AM

381 posts, read 862,213 times
Quote:
The mere possibility that the point can not merely be argued, but won... that Philly is more urban that SF... is apparently is too much to handle. Frothing at the mouth has occurred.
How exactly has it been won? I think the pictures posted by SLO a few pages back vs. the pictures of Rittenhouse Square demonstrate how much more is going in downtown SF.

It's a denser city, it's a more vibrant city, it has far fewer parking lots and more bustling streets, etc. Pound for pound, San Francisco feels more like a "big city" than Philly - especially in downtown and the inner neighborhoods. I love Philly - don't get me wrong - but I think it's a losing cause to try and win this argument.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:45 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
One other thing on the Rittenhouse neighborhood and even zip 19107 is that these also include a highest concentration of Hotel rooms in the city which further adds to the people quotient; though that is not always a unique aspect for a city. The hotels clustered between 20th and the convention center (at 12th) are also very significant; probably 5K (maybe more) rooms in this little space, though not totally sure would need to verify the actual number as that was a back of the envelope estimate.
Yes, hotels take up a lot of space. I think that severly dings Union Square and even the Tenderloin as I think the 1,000-room Hilton SF is considered Tenderloin on the map(not sure).

Anyway, my sister and her husband moved from Los Angeles to the Rittenhouse Square area a while ago when he started working at one of the hospitals there. They love their neighboorhood.

On occasion, I would drive down there from NJ to visit them just for the night and thoroughly enjoyed myself as well.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:47 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,662,097 times
I did not say Philly 'won' just that the argument could be made, that it is debatable, so by definition one could win a debate arguing on behalf of Philly. That's all I said. You frothed.

You say SF wins because you 'think' you are right and you 'feel' you are right. That really works for you in real life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldojernkins View Post
How exactly has it been won? I think the pictures posted by SLO a few pages back vs. the pictures of Rittenhouse Square demonstrate how much more is going in downtown SF.

It's a denser city, it's a more vibrant city, it has far fewer parking lots and more bustling streets, etc. Pound for pound, San Francisco feels more like a "big city" than Philly - especially in downtown and the inner neighborhoods. I love Philly - don't get me wrong - but I think it's a losing cause to try and win this argument.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:47 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
Lol yeah sorry Montclair, I'm not seeing the relevance of that here either.
I was responding to a post specifically regarding that topic.

If there is an issue of relevancy, take it up with Dub King who now has abandoned the topic and apparently has become a champion of the poor.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
My argument was based on the fact that Philadelphia has more urban areas than San Francisco. Nobody thinks driveways, yards, and free standing Jack-in-the Boxes scream "urban."

Man, this has nothing to do with anything.
Where in San Francisco, exactly are there driveways, yards, and free-standing Jack-in-the-Boxes? San Francisco's urban fabric is incredibly consistant, aside from Twin Peaks and a couple of isolated areas - it's almost all densely pack commercial areas and rowhouses.

Philly has far more parking lots, vacant lots, and generally less urban/vibrant sections than SF. The urban fabric is nowhere near as consistant.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
Montclair loves the high life, no doubt, so he often talks it up... Who cares? That doesn't mean you have to resort to childish generalizations of an entire population. Don't tell me you actually believe that an episode of a satirical cartoon is proof of anything?

If you wanna go that route, i guess i can say that all Philadelphians talk like they're mildly retarded...cuz, you know, Rocky.
I thought this was a known fact. But where did you get the idea that "mildly" was an adequate description?

Old 08-04-2011, 10:51 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
OH niiiice try. Clue: the bold is the strawman I was referring to.

What does my experience or lack there of with Philly have to do with anything? Did you see me attempting to school people on what Philly is like? Have you not seen me acknowledge my unfamiliarity with Philly EVERY SINGLE TIME I attempt to compare it to anything? Ever see me post anything about SUPPOSEDLY LIVING THERE?? No? Didn't think so.

Can you read or understand the concept of a strawman argument? Clearly you cannot. My time spent in Philly (which ftr is ZERO, as you already knew ) is immaterial when I have never claimed to have any and I am calling you out for overstating yours spent in SF. I can't even call this a nice try. This was just sad.

And I'm literally LOL @ your sorry attempt at saving face by attempting to combine your conflicting versions of how you "lived" out here. Just give it up already, this is pathetic. You got busted out, now accept it like a man and move forward. You're not fooling anyone at this point. SMH.

But since you are actually sinking low enough to attempt to BS your way out of this, I'll go ahead and quote you one more time:

"About 9 months in the city 3-3.5 weeks per month and another 9 months in Burligame."

...is not the same as:

"4 years (a week per month in SF usually with two weekends thrown in)"

and "used to basically live in SF one week a month for years"

It was either one week a month for 4 years, or it was 3 weeks a month for 9 months. And if you had taken the time to do the math before attempting your most pathetic cop out to date, one week/month over 4 years is 48 weeks. 3 weeks/month for 9 months is 27 months.

Just keep digging yourself deeper if your goal is to make a fool of yourself in here. I only ask that you stop so I don't have to keep exposing you. Dude, I'm not even trying to force an admission out of you the way I normally would. I'm just disgusted by your attempt to weasel your way out of it. Sorry, that's not gonna fly.

It was both as I stated, a long period of consistent shorter term visits with a concentration in the middle what is so hard to figure out here. And digging deeper how?

And the point on experience of both cities to me seems to be how one would be able judge the comparison, also not hard to figure out. On exposing; well it would seem that your remarks would expose you have zero perspective to make a comparison of the two from actual experience.

And sorry to digust you, perhaps comprehension would help though I have always heard ignorance is bliss so the digusted feeling may be from something else

Old 08-04-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Here's the bottom line: Can we find an aparment building in Philadelphia that has 983 residents and call it a neighborhood? We can call it "Tougherloin."
I think a better name would be the, "Douchiest-way-to-prove-a-tired-point Tower."

A gun without ammo really doesn't hurt anyone when you shoot them with it. Lol.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
OK you win because you 'think' you are right and you 'feel' you are right. That really works for you in real life?
It's called subjectivity, yes. Are you saying you are somehow above subjectivity - that your opinion is the objective truth?

The point is the numbers, the pictures, etc. all point to SF being the more urban, cosmopolitan city. It seems pretty obvious to me, as well, having spent time in both places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City