Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2011, 02:16 PM

381 posts, read 862,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Not if we're talking about the Haight-Ashbury.
Or Lower Haight and the Mission, for that matter!

Old 08-04-2011, 03:22 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,724,520 times
It sounds like its time for this thread to die. Philly FTW!

Old 08-04-2011, 06:13 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,238,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
I concur, except for the last part.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:01 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Some shots I took while running out in Rittenhouse this afternoon. My phone camera isnt very good.
Attached Thumbnails
How can anyone argue Philly is more urban than San Francisco?-img00296-20110804-1703.jpg   How can anyone argue Philly is more urban than San Francisco?-img00285-20110804-1654.jpg   How can anyone argue Philly is more urban than San Francisco?-img00291-20110804-1658.jpg   How can anyone argue Philly is more urban than San Francisco?-img00290-20110804-1658.jpg   How can anyone argue Philly is more urban than San Francisco?-img00287-20110804-1655.jpg  

How can anyone argue Philly is more urban than San Francisco?-img00289-20110804-1657.jpg   How can anyone argue Philly is more urban than San Francisco?-img00288-20110804-1656.jpg   How can anyone argue Philly is more urban than San Francisco?-img00293-20110804-1659.jpg   How can anyone argue Philly is more urban than San Francisco?-img00294-20110804-1701.jpg   How can anyone argue Philly is more urban than San Francisco?-img00297-20110804-1704.jpg  

Old 08-04-2011, 09:57 PM

381 posts, read 862,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Calm down, killa, calm down

Old 08-05-2011, 02:11 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,475,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I never filed a tax return as my primary residence if that is what you are asking. I spent as much time "living" or as you call it "visiting" as many people spend living in their college town.

And thank you for letting us all know what is worthwhile and worthless, we are all very appreciative of your opinion.
Bottom line, you have continually attempted to act as though you are somehow qualified to educate people on what life in SF is like under the false pretense of having "lived here." You have found yourself at odds with people who actually DO live here many times, and I would say the main reason for that is your skewed perspective from never having actually resided here.

Frequent visits for work? Sure, but that does not mean you ever "lived" here, which opposes the picture you have been trying to paint for so long. And your conflicting, ever-evolving versions of how long you supposedly lived here - which was best stated originally as "basically living here" rather than acting as though you called SF your home for a time - just served as proof that your brand of "truth" is selective. Much like the data I have seen you alter time and again to conveniently edge Philly past whatever it is being compared with, ever-so-slightly. So I, as you put it earlier, was calling BS. That's all there is to it.

I'm ready to drop it and move on whenever you guys are. I just don't want to keep reading a claim from you over and over again that I know to be untrue.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:13 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overunder12 View Post
Having spent a lot of time in both cities, I think it's pure East Coast bias that someone would try and argue Philly is somehow more urban than SF.
Saying that one large city is more urban than another is like saying that Venus is more planetary than Mars. They're both planets. Philly and SF are both cities, they're both urban.

Now if you said one is more "urbane" than the other, you might have something to differ about. I guess we all know which would win that argument!

Old 08-05-2011, 07:40 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
Bottom line, you have continually attempted to act as though you are somehow qualified to educate people on what life in SF is like under the false pretense of having "lived here." You have found yourself at odds with people who actually DO live here many times, and I would say the main reason for that is your skewed perspective from never having actually resided here.

Frequent visits for work? Sure, but that does not mean you ever "lived" here, which opposes the picture you have been trying to paint for so long. And your conflicting, ever-evolving versions of how long you supposedly lived here - which was best stated originally as "basically living here" rather than acting as though you called SF your home for a time - just served as proof that your brand of "truth" is selective. Much like the data I have seen you alter time and again to conveniently edge Philly past whatever it is being compared with, ever-so-slightly. So I, as you put it earlier, was calling BS. That's all there is to it.

I'm ready to drop it and move on whenever you guys are. I just don't want to keep reading a claim from you over and over again that I know to be untrue.
Well again probably 600-700 days over 4 years with a concentration of time residing in SF in the middle probably qualifies for more perspective on the differences and similarities of the places; especially when compared to people who never been to either or only to one.

And I stand by my posts. I will state this agian if you have considerably experience to refute any of my points please feel free to go ahead

Seriously you have some odd fixation if we disagree on what consistutes living there so be it but for better or worse (to me better as I really enjoyed my time in SF and like the city a lot) spending 75% of my time in the bay over a 18 month time period and about a week a month over a 4 year times period does not translate to experience then I am not sure what to tell you. When you have spent at least one day in each of these cities you will have some right to compare them.

And am so glad you have appointed yourself whatever, I will continue to discuss whatever I want based on ACTUAL experience and time living in the two places and you can continue to make assumptions based on no knowledge or whatever you believe to be correct.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:40 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,259,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Well again probably 600-700 days over 4 years with a concentration of time residing in SF in the middle probably qualifies for more perspective on the differences and similarities of the places; especially when compared to people who never been to either or only to one.

And I stand by my posts. I will state this agian if you have considerably experience to refute any of my points please feel free to go ahead

Seriously you have some odd fixation if we disagree on what consistutes living there so be it but for better or worse (to me better as I really enjoyed my time in SF and like the city a lot) spending 75% of my time in the bay over a 18 month time period and about a week a month over a 4 year times period does not translate to experience then I am not sure what to tell you. When you have spent at least one day in each of these cities you will have some right to compare them.

And am so glad you have appointed yourself whatever, I will continue to discuss whatever I want based on ACTUAL experience and time living in the two places and you can continue to make assumptions based on no knowledge or whatever you believe to be correct.
So let me get this straight:

1) You spent the better part of 18 months "residing" (staying? sleeping? help me find a verb) in SF and have made observations based on that experience.
2) A 2nd poster claims you have a "skewed perspective" because you didn't actually "live" there yet goes on to offer insights on Philadelphia while admitting they have never set foot in the city.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City