Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 11:15 AM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vici29 View Post
Cost is really not a problem, but diversity is. Honestly, it's always awkward for us as a couple to be anywhere where there is not noticable diversity (and I don't just mean all-white neighborhoods; I mean all-anything neighborhoods!). We currently live in Princeton in an area where the majority is South Asian. I am honestly the only black/west indian/jamaican on my street and the streets around us. It's just a little weird for me as I'm used tobseeing all kinds of faces. That being said, visible diversity is a must.

I might be asking for a lot, but we want to be comfortable. His niece will be staying with us for some time and she's from Germany. We're not sure if we want to send her to public school or private school, so there's a bit of emphasis on education.

As for transportation, that is a major issue. We both have cars, but we would love to live close enough to a train that could take us right to DC. Judging from your spat, a reliable one. Is Silver Springs a nice place?
Silver Spring is nice and diverse. However, it's not as upscale as Arlington. And there are more crime issues in Silver Spring as well.

However, if you definitely want lots of diversity, then go for Silver Spring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 10:42 PM

7 posts, read 37,689 times
I could put diversity on the backburner for safety! We eventually want children. I think we should start out at a nice apartment or townhome, whereas my husband thinks we shoukd just buy a house and get it over with. I have been told we can definitely afford it with a combined income of $240k, but I'm not sure about the big jump. Any thoughts on that? I think we're leaning 65% towards the orange line.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:47 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,265,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vici29 View Post
I could put diversity on the backburner for safety! We eventually want children. I think we should start out at a nice apartment or townhome, whereas my husband thinks we shoukd just buy a house and get it over with. I have been told we can definitely afford it with a combined income of $240k, but I'm not sure about the big jump. Any thoughts on that? I think we're leaning 65% towards the orange line.
I would recommend waiting. Even though prices are good right now, I would recommend buying only after you know the area and have lived here already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City