Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2012, 06:01 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,673,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB8abovetherim View Post
Los Angeles is possibly the only major city in the US that doesn't revolve around "Downtown". It's not that DTLA sucks, it's just that there are a million things to do in other parts of the city. But in June when I was back home leave hanging out, I was on packed subway trains with standing room only at midnight, waiting outside crowded bars at 1am, I couldn't carry on a conversation on the sidewalk because of the traffic at midnight....DTLA is far far far from dead. At least the way most might think of it. I think the problem is most Americans who aren't familiar with Los Angeles don't really know where the "life" of Downtown LA actually is. The Downtown LA that is always shown on TV is the financial/office districts on Bunker Hill or near the Civic Center. But the REAL downtown LA is just to the east and south of the tall skyscrapers. Along Broadway, Spring st, Main st, Hill st, 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th streets. The Historic Core, South Park, the old bank district, Chinatown, Little Tokyo, Fashion district...etc. There is a lot more going on than at the foot of the Library Tower, you just gotta know where it all is
I would say LA is one of the stronger examples of this, but there def are others.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:09 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB8abovetherim View Post
There is a lot more going on than at the foot of the Library Tower, you just gotta know where it all is
Don't forget the new dt Grand Park opens this Saturday. I personally can not wait. I was down there about an hr ago and they were testing that huge fountain. It looks awesome! Can you believe, 12 acres of greenspace in dt LA.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:22 PM

14 posts, read 22,840 times
Tampa's seems pretty boring, but I'd say San Jose.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:42 PM

14 posts, read 22,840 times
I have to disagree with the initial comment that cities have high crime rates and minorities. San Jose is a boring downtown, but has one of the lowest crime rates and is arguably the most affluent city in the country. That was somewhat of an ill-informed statement. Other cities ignoring that "rule" are New Orleans, with a nice downtown and some even nicer outlying sections, Oakland, with minorities but amazing liveliness culturally downtown, and L.A., the largest tourist stop on the West coast.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:07 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,212,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southamboy View Post
My vote is for hartford CT, drove around one Saturday while visiting some friends, it was a ghost-town.
Thats not a big city but ok

Old 07-24-2012, 12:49 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,359,044 times
Default I'll second Hartford CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by southamboy View Post
My vote is for hartford CT, drove around one Saturday while visiting some friends, it was a ghost-town.
I'll second Hartford. In college, my car broke down there, and had to take the offramp to downtown. Scary, desolate, except for a few hookers, and they weren't all that good looking to boot.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:24 PM

74 posts, read 144,265 times
Of the top 25 large cities, Phoenix has gotta be the deadest when you factor it the area's population! Its a sad thing when its suburbs easily top the Anchor city's downtown area.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:19 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,988,097 times
Miami and if you want to add insult to injury then go to Miami Beach, a suburb on a sandbar with more activity than Miami. It's ridiculous.

Old 07-24-2012, 04:42 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,586,709 times
OMG, ATL downtown is horrible. Downtown ATL use to be the spot. ATL downtown is probably one of the shadiest places in the city now. If you aren't trying to outrun 1 million homeless people, con men trying to sell you pirated DVDs, and avoiding weed dealers, then you're probably getting arrested by the police for jay walking or spitting on a sidewalk. There are 20 reasons off the top of my head to avoid ATL downtown. There are cops all over the place, which makes it safe. If there wasn't a cop ever 3 inches downtown, then not much would offset the profound amount of homeless people in teh city. And man, does ATL have some aggressive homeless people.

There are some things that are ok downtown, but in small burst. For the most part, if you've seen the aquarium, world of coca cola, and got tired of walking centennial park, then you've done all you need to do downtown. Seriously, downtown ATL doesn't compare to Buckhead or Atlantic station, or even Midtown.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:26 PM

157 posts, read 165,500 times
Cities without people visiting downtown or downtown being relative: LA, Phoenix, Dallas, Houston, Miami, San Jose, Las Vegas, Atlanta and San Diego.

Note* some of the downtowns are attractive and nice but not visited or noticed by out of towners like LA and San Diego.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City