Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More integrated
California 70 63.64%
Northeast 40 36.36%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 09:00 PM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
thank you! someone who's honest for once

cali is as non-racist as new england
so are you saying both are racist, or both are accepting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 09:05 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,530,843 times
both ; )

my poor attempt at sarcasm

Old 08-11-2011, 09:44 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,713,641 times
East Coast cities are more segregated HANDS DOWN. Philly, NYC and Newark, NJ all made the top ten most segregated cities list. Spike Lee's Do The Right Thing accurately describes race relations in many East Coast cities:

America's 10 Most Segregated Cities

Black-White segregation is super intense on the East Coast. The average Black neighborhood in DC, Baltimore, Philly or NYC is over 90% Black (if you check the block by block demographics of these East Coast neighborhoods, this is no exaggeration) and the White neighborhoods are very White:

//www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...elphia-PA.html

//www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...ington-DC.html

//www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...timore-MD.html

//www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...amaica-NY.html

//www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...Island-NY.html

Notice a residential trend here? The Blackest of Blackest neighborhoods in the Bay Area are about 50% Black at the most. There are obviously exceptions because the Bay may be more integrated, but it is not some "It's a small world afterall" Disneyland utopia. This is what the demographics of a ghetto neighborhood look like in SF and Oakland. HUGE difference:

//www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...ncisco-CA.html

//www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...akland-CA.html

Last edited by goldenchild08; 08-11-2011 at 10:08 PM..

Old 08-11-2011, 09:53 PM

902 posts, read 2,786,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
so are you saying both are racist, or both are accepting?
Both are as accepting, or objecting, as the ones who make it happen.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:25 AM

54 posts, read 69,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
East Coast cities are more segregated HANDS DOWN. Philly, NYC and Newark, NJ all made the top ten most segregated cities list. Spike Lee's Do The Right Thing accurately describes race relations in many East Coast cities:

America's 10 Most Segregated Cities

Black-White segregation is super intense on the East Coast. The average Black neighborhood in DC, Baltimore, Philly or NYC is over 90% Black (if you check the block by block demographics of these East Coast neighborhoods, this is no exaggeration) and the White neighborhoods are very White:

//www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...amaica-NY.html

//www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...Island-NY.html

Notice a residential trend here? The Blackest of Blackest neighborhoods in the Bay Area are about 50% Black at the most. There are obviously exceptions because the Bay may be more integrated, but it is not some "It's a small world afterall" Disneyland utopia. This is what the demographics of a ghetto neighborhood look like in SF and Oakland. HUGE difference:

//www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...ncisco-CA.html

//www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...akland-CA.html
Yeah, maybe if California had Black people like the Northeast does...oh wait, all the Mexicans are kicking them out.

Do a Latino-White, Latino-Asian, or Latino-Black segregation index. Most Whites and Blacks I know think Mexicans are illegal scum, unlike the Puerto Ricans and Dominicans here Look at the Bronx: Blacks and Hispanics rarely fight.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:54 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogetta View Post
I'm a white guy here in Northern California. I personally don't put much emphasis on race or ethnicity. I could really care less. I currently live in Marin County having just moved from Sonoma County and growing up between San Francisco and Flint, Michigan. Currently I live in the least diverse part of the Bay Area and other than the stunning natural beauty and the few GOOD people I know out here, I absolutely hate it. My girlfriend is Hatian and while many gawk at the "spectacle" of a white red haired guy and a Haitian girl and many hate, I find that it isnt all that uncommon, even in the northbay.
I'm Haitian. I got some Haitian family out in Cali(San Diego and LA). And I have a Haitian friend from Vallejo CA who just moved back to Cali, but he moved to LA.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:05 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuturePresident View Post
So you support illegal immigration? You support all those marches and rallies demanding the Southwest to be part of Mexico.

I'm sorry. You're a traitor.

I don't care if they 'work hard' or 'built things'. They are illegal. They need to leave.

Remember a few months ago, an innocent person was fishing in Texas, and got killed by the cartels? Is that your vision for America?

Yes, the Northeast has crimes, but at least it isn't organized by foreigners who want to take over the United States.
I don't "support" illegal immigration. I'm just sayin, it's Americans who hire these illegals and pay them under the table. These specific illegals are decent people who work hard to provide for their families, the average American is to spoiled to even comprehend the strife in Mexico. The crime illegals cause is no different from the crime you see in inner cities across America, specifically the north east.

Notice how El Paso and San Diego are among the safest major cities, these cities are very close to Mexico- They're full of illegals too... Now do me the favor of explaining Detroit and Buffalo, you know, the cities next to Canada... Detroit and Buffalo can use some Mexican immigrants, Canada isn't helping America's sorry ass

Old 08-12-2011, 10:07 AM

54 posts, read 69,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
I don't "support" illegal immigration. I'm just sayin, it's Americans who hire these illegals and pay them under the table. These specific illegals are decent people who work hard to provide for their families, the average American is to spoiled to even comprehend the strife in Mexico. The crime illegals cause is no different from the crime you see in inner cities across America, specifically the north east.

Notice how El Paso and San Diego are among the safest major cities, these cities are very close to Mexico- They're full of illegals too... Now do me the favor of explaining Detroit and Buffalo, you know, the cities next to Canada... Detroit and Buffalo can use some Mexican immigrants, Canada isn't helping America's sorry ass
Have you heard of East Los Angeles? Santa Ana? Compton? San Bernardino? Riverside? Yeah, those places are not only unsafe, but also full of illegal Mexicans. I talked to my White friend in SoCal and he's absolutely terrified of Mexican people, and wishes that the federal government do something about it.

Personally, I'd rather be robbed by a citizen than a non-citizen.

Whenever I see an illegal cry on TV when their family members get deported, I always take personal joy in that. Scum deserves what they get.

Old 08-12-2011, 04:19 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,916,690 times
Even though Cali beats out the Northeast in racial integration, neither place overall is that great when you consider their major cities. However, I will say this:

-Take away SF and LA (which are East-Coast/Mexico-carpetbagged cities anyway) and you have what is perhaps one of the most integrated and racially cordial parts of the country. Sacramento is what San Francisco was in the 20th Century when it comes to racial integration. And San Diego puts 90 percent of the country to shame with its race relations.
-Take away Boston, Providence, New York, Trenton, Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Washington DC, and you pretty much have.....the entire Northeast gone. You have other cities in Northeastern states, but most of those cities are more culturally aligned with the Alleghenies or the Midwest.

So by that measure, California is more integrated, but LA and the modern-day yuppified SF/Silicon Valley brings the racial integration factor down for that state.

As for the Mexican situation in CA, they'll get my sympathy when they stop thinking everyone who has my skin color is a "mayete."

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Also, most old school Indians I know do not want their sons or daughters to marry outside of their culture and so do many other people from other cultures-not necessarily out of racism, but more because they realize that marriage is not just the bride and groom, but the bride's family and the groom's family.
Politically Incorrect Alert

Well tell those families that they're in America! If they wanted to keep their daughters from marrying outside of their race/religion/ethnicity/nationality, then they should've though of that before moving here. Seeing a family preventing an Hindu Indian/Christian American marriage through religious/cultural pressure is as much of a treason on freedom and liberty as preventing a white/black marriage through racial/social pressure.

Last edited by Do a Barrel Roll; 08-12-2011 at 04:52 PM..

Old 08-12-2011, 05:12 PM

9,378 posts, read 9,326,130 times
i personally think the northeast is much more segregated than california, it should seem quite obvious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City