Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 01:02 PM

252 posts, read 493,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Boston's economy is larger, but not for long. Atlanta now has a larger urban area than Boston which is growing at a significantly faster rate. The Boston area is stagnant, and will be for some time due to uncompetitive, unfriendly local government. It is a shame that area squanders so much higher education infrastructure and talent.

Last popular trend I remember Boston starting was boy bands back in the 80's. Can't think of anything since. If you think govt. monopoly healthcare is a trend, think again. The current law is unconstitutional and will be dumped. It will never be enacted again. Other countries are thinking about reforming, dumping their inferior govt. monopoly DMV like pathetic death trap "systems." Boston is no longer a trend setter. It is strangled by the anti-freedom progressive policies that drive that best and brightest to greener and freer pastures.
I think you've been listening to Rush Limbaugh, Bill O'Reilly, Michael Savage, etc... a bit too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 02:11 PM

12,836 posts, read 22,014,769 times
Quote:
Not at all. If that were the case Albany and Sacramento would be more dominant markets within their own state. The larger markets control the state govt. more than the locals in the smaller (relative to other places in state) state capitals.
But they're the seat of government that creates policy which greatly influences what goes on in New York City, Los Angeles, San Francisco, etc. Salt Lake City is bigger than Albany, but none of the legislature that takes place in Salt Lake City has NEARLY the impact that Albany does seeing as it influences one of the largest economies in the world.

Old 04-06-2012, 02:16 PM

12,836 posts, read 22,014,769 times
Quote:
Boston's economy is larger, but not for long. Atlanta now has a larger urban area than Boston which is growing at a significantly faster rate. The Boston area is stagnant, and will be for some time due to uncompetitive, unfriendly local government. It is a shame that area squanders so much higher education infrastructure and talent.
Really? The Boston area has the largest high-tech economy in the US outside of silicon valley and is constantly attracting new major players (i.e. the current Google expansion in Cambridge) as well as startups. It's HUGE for venture capital and it's still one of the world's top financial hubs. That's just scratching the surface. Boston is a leader in all types of research; not the least of which is medical.

Quote:
Last popular trend I remember Boston starting was boy bands back in the 80's. Can't think of anything since. If you think govt. monopoly healthcare is a trend, think again. The current law is unconstitutional and will be dumped. It will never be enacted again. Other countries are thinking about reforming, dumping their inferior govt. monopoly DMV like pathetic death trap "systems." Boston is no longer a trend setter. It is strangled by the anti-freedom progressive policies that drive that best and brightest to greener and freer pastures.
Oh boy. And the true colors shine through. Sorry about Santorum. Maybe in 2016.

Old 04-06-2012, 02:19 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Really? The Boston area has the largest high-tech economy in the US outside of silicon valley and is constantly attracting new major players (i.e. the current Google expansion in Cambridge) as well as startups. It's HUGE for venture capital and it's still one of the world's top financial hubs. That's just scratching the surface. Boston is a leader in all types of research; not the least of which is medical.

Oh boy. And the true colors shine through. Sorry about Santorum. Maybe in 2016.
He just jealous that the Massachusetts Republican Canidate beat the Georgian one

Old 04-06-2012, 05:45 PM

979 posts, read 2,093,468 times
If we're talking state capitol's as in the building and influencial laws that are passed I'd go:

SACRAMENTO (considered the washington dc of the west coast, capital of the largest state and 8th economy of the world)
BOSTON (historic city in a major metropolitan area of New England
DENVER
ATLANTA
PHOENIX

In terms of cities:

Boston, Atlanta, Denver, Phoenix, Austin

Old 04-06-2012, 05:53 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,457,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistola916 View Post
If we're talking state capitol's as in the building and influencial laws that are passed I'd go:

SACRAMENTO (considered the washington dc of the west coast, capital of the largest state and 8th economy of the world)
BOSTON (historic city in a major metropolitan area of New England
DENVER
ATLANTA
PHOENIX

In terms of cities:

Boston, Atlanta, Denver, Phoenix, Austin
I know I am a homer but wouldn't Denver be the Washington DC of the west due to the Denver Federal Center? If so wouldn't that make Denver more prominent?

This is from Wiki:

Denver Federal Center, surround by the city Lakewood, Colorado, is part of the General Services Administration and is home to about 6,200 employees for many Federal government of the United States agencies. The Denver Federal Center encompasses an area of about 670 acres (2.7 km2) and has 90 buildings comprising over 4,000,000 square feet (400,000 m2) of office, warehouse, lab and special use space. There are 26 different Federal agencies on-site, making it the largest concentration of Federal agencies outside of Washington, D.C.

The major employers at the Denver Federal Center include the United States Department of the Interior (and its Bureau of Land Management, Bureau of Reclamation, and United States Geological Survey) and the General Services Administration, Special facilities at the Denver Federal Center include the National Ice Core Laboratory.

The link: Denver Federal Center - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-06-2012, 06:05 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,160,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I know I am a homer but wouldn't Denver be the Washington DC of the west due to the Denver Federal Center? If so wouldn't that make Denver more prominent?

This is from Wiki:

Denver Federal Center, surround by the city Lakewood, Colorado, is part of the General Services Administration and is home to about 6,200 employees for many Federal government of the United States agencies. The Denver Federal Center encompasses an area of about 670 acres (2.7 km2) and has 90 buildings comprising over 4,000,000 square feet (400,000 m2) of office, warehouse, lab and special use space. There are 26 different Federal agencies on-site, making it the largest concentration of Federal agencies outside of Washington, D.C.

The major employers at the Denver Federal Center include the United States Department of the Interior (and its Bureau of Land Management, Bureau of Reclamation, and United States Geological Survey) and the General Services Administration, Special facilities at the Denver Federal Center include the National Ice Core Laboratory.

The link: Denver Federal Center - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I think he is referring to the Laws that get passed in Sac that later go nation wide. Medical pot, wheel chair access, air regulations, state wide smoking bans, etc.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:19 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,457,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
I think he is referring to the Laws that get passed in Sac that later go nation wide. Medical pot, wheel chair access, air regulations, state wide smoking bans, etc.
Fair enough I can see that....

Old 04-06-2012, 06:45 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
On the pot issue Massachusetts made small amounts of pot legal before California did by a few months, Nov. 2008 Vs Jan. 2010.

Old 04-07-2012, 05:23 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,891,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post

It could be argued that Atlanta's standing as a top location of corporate HQs, media companies and world's transportation hub actually diminishes its role as a state capital. While true it is the place where Georgia government is based, the staus of "capital" actually has little meaning to the city overall. Savannah or Macon could just as easily be the state capital and I don't think Atlanta's status would be affected one bit.
I'll think you'll find that the more important a city is in general terms, the less noticeable that it is a political capitol. It's the same way in Boston. The statehouse is a side show compared to all the other things going on. Probably the only exception to this rule would be Washington DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City