Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 08:46 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,884,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
thats a shame. And let MI tell it no other city has crime but Detroit and especially not the westside of the state.

DB is an ok place to visit.....if you visit for Daytona 500, Spring Break, Black College Renuion or if you are a bike club during bike week. Other than that, its really lame. What they show you on TV is only a very small portion and its totally different than what people think
lmao thats the furthest thing from the truth. The westside is the 2nd worst part. It is no Utopia by any means. Benton Harbor, Grand Rapids, Battle Creek, and Kalamazoo have more than enough crime.

And oh lol no good nightlife?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 09:11 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,392,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinStrong313 View Post
lmao thats the furthest thing from the truth. The westside is the 2nd worst part. It is no Utopia by any means. Benton Harbor, Grand Rapids, Battle Creek, and Kalamazoo have more than enough crime.

And oh lol no good nightlife?
nightlife????.......please! lol everything in Daytona closed at ten except a few clubs and bars that catered to college kids and biker clubs

Old 09-16-2011, 10:04 PM

9 posts, read 10,207 times
I think SF ranks pretty low on nightlife and having fun... I lived in SF being stationed in the navy, it was somewhat boring after a while. Boring people, boring atmosphere, and boring things to do...

Old 09-17-2011, 07:15 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,661,088 times
I love this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightcriminal View Post
I think SF ranks pretty low on nightlife and having fun... I lived in SF being stationed in the navy, it was somewhat boring after a while. Boring people, boring atmosphere, and boring things to do...

Old 09-17-2011, 07:57 AM

102 posts, read 189,449 times
Is Chicago a great city? Depends on whether you have a job..or enjoy long winters..outside

Illinois poverty grows even as state help shrinks - BusinessWeek

Old 09-17-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightcriminal View Post
People can definately get bored in big cities. Two basic types of people when it comes to big cities : those who create and make dreams happen and physically work to solve problems (designers, planners, business owners, etc.).... and then there is...pretty much the rest. And there is alot of them in big cities.The so called dead weight. :0 The average Joe sixpack. Or whats a good nickname for the average white collar stiff? Plastic Man? Mr. Blackberry? Anyway,God bless these people they are the backbone of society. The tax payer who is mostly just there for work, or family,and maybe enjoys a few ammenities..but they need to be in the city to feel connected/alive. Their imagination is weaker, or should i say..untapped..so fun or fullfillment comes more from consuming, rather than simply being and working on themselves, which is why depression runs so damn high in urban areas. The events of the world are forcing us back to nature, back into ourselves. City culture is not much different than Vegas...you can play some shiny games for a while, but in the end, the house gets it all. There is infinately more to life than can be found in cold impersonal skyscrapers , outdoor malls, smelly sports bars, and computer cafes. Bore...ing

Last edited by dosequis man; 09-17-2011 at 08:35 AM..

Old 09-17-2011, 08:23 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,661,088 times
I gotta give you credit for that post. Those are the least interesting things to do in a city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosequis man View Post
People can definately get bored in big cities. Two basic types of people when it comes to big cities : those who create and make dreams happen or physically work to solve problems (designers, planners, business owners, etc.).... and then there is...pretty much the rest. The so called dead weight. The average Joe sixpack. The tax payer who is mostly there for work, and maybe enjoys a few ammenities..but they need to be in the city to feel connected/alive. Their imagination is weaker, and fun or fullfillment comes more from consuming, rather than simply being. The events of the world are forcing us back to nature, back into ourselves. City culture is not much different than Vegas...you can play some shiny games for a while, but in the end, the house gets it all. There is infinately more to life than can be found in cold impersonal skyscrapers , outdoor malls, smelly sports bars, and computer cafes. Bore...ing

Last edited by Dub King; 09-17-2011 at 08:47 AM..

Old 09-17-2011, 08:43 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,252,903 times
Quote:
City culture is not much different than Vegas...you can play some shiny games for a while, but in the end, the house gets it all. There is infinately more to life than can be found in cold impersonal skyscrapers , outdoor malls, smelly sports bars, and computer cafes. Bore...ing
Yes there is more to life than the things you mentioned, including university lectures, readings by famous (and not so famous) authors, opera, ballet, symphony, theatre, concerts, wine tastings, cooking schools, poetry slams, professional and university sports, architectural variety, street festivals, parks, museums (and their visiting exhibitions), foreign films, markets, and restaurants featuring cuisine from every corner of the globe, to name but a few.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Yes there is more to life than the things you mentioned, including university lectures, readings by famous (and not so famous) authors, opera, ballet, symphony, theatre, concerts, wine tastings, cooking schools, poetry slams, professional and university sports, architectural variety, street festivals, parks, museums (and their visiting exhibitions), foreign films, markets, and restaurants featuring cuisine from every corner of the globe, to name but a few.
LOL. The average Chicagoan i ever met watches TV six nights a week. You sound like you live life and keep it fun. Not typical though. Those are all fun things to view...but most of them are consumerism. Not that its wrong..just that these days you can be hundreds of miles from the city and enjoy most of those things..by actually DOing them.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:13 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,252,903 times
Quote:
LOL. The average Chicagoan i ever met watches TV six nights a week. You sound like you live life and keep it fun. Not typical though. Those are all fun things to view...but most of them are consumerism. Not that its wrong..just that these days you can be hundreds of miles from the city and enjoy most of those things..by actually DOing them.
Just because you say things about the "average Chicagoan" doesn't make them true.

Just as the consumption of food nourishes the body, the consumption of culture nourishes the mind and soul. Both are necessary for growth, in my book.

As for enjoying most of the activities on my list (university lectures, opera, and the like) by DOing them, as you state - fail to see it. Your posts on this matter may resonate with others, but fall flat with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City