Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 09:52 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,371,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizurko View Post
@Gateway Region, how do you come about this level of importance, because believe it or not your still wrong with your own method?
If you're referencing Miami specifically, then it probably has much to do with it being a gateway to the Caribbean and Latin America as it serves as a base of operations for a lot of international corporations. It's also a large media hub for the Spanish-speaking world. Miami is probably underrated in the US as relatively few people in the US are aware of its importance in Latin America. There's also a fairly large level of international recognition Miami gets as a tourism hotspot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 11:29 PM

635 posts, read 1,509,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
If you're referencing Miami specifically, then it probably has much to do with it being a gateway to the Caribbean and Latin America as it serves as a base of operations for a lot of international corporations. It's also a large media hub for the Spanish-speaking world. Miami is probably underrated in the US as relatively few people in the US are aware of its importance in Latin America. There's also a fairly large level of international recognition Miami gets as a tourism hotspot.
what? No I was referring to Atlanta.

Old 09-18-2011, 03:19 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,100,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
The basis of overall importance.

GDP is not everything taken into consideration when ranking cities in terms of importance.
How connective a city is by firms I told you that. It's not just the main HQ, but where are the regional HQ located too. GaWC rankings is basically a web, The more connected a city is to the other cities the higher that city will rank.

Quote:
Really? This is news to me..... Miami looks to be located in the southeast to me.
Yes it is but are you saying Miami has even close to the influence on the Southeast that Atlanta has? On overall importance Miami is ahead of Atlanta? That's the first time I have ever heard that in my life. What industries tourism? What bring Miami to the table is finance and etc with the West indies, not the southeast. Atlanta dominate the southeast Health care, Media, Tech, Food industry, logistics and etc. And things that Atlanta isn't number one in the southeast the metro is still top national level, Education, Finance and etc.

Quote:
Atlanta does have some well known companies, but at the end of the day it's nothing to brag about.

Fortune 500 Companies by City

Houston - 24
Dallas - 24
Atlanta -12
Charlotte - 9

Charlotte has 9 and they are half the metro area population as Atlanta. Dallas and Houston is around the same metro population and they have exactly double the amount of fortune 500 companies.
Error.... no one is braging about anything your the one with a problem that you feel a city is rank too high, don't twist the conversation. Anyway Back to topic Dallas and Houston are not the southeast. Charlotte does not nearly have as many regional HQs as Atlanta does, nor does Charlotte has influence on as many industries as Atlanta are you joking? Outside of finance How many industry does Charlotte beat Atlanta? Charlotte is part of The Piedmont Atlantic concept in which itself is base on Atlanta being the center piece. You kind lost creditably with the Charlotte up to Atlanta comparison.

Quote:
Miami is in the southeast!
I answer that.

Old 09-18-2011, 04:36 AM

631 posts, read 1,093,390 times
WOW! Minneapolis got love, and Houston got sonned!

Old 09-18-2011, 10:06 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,737,240 times
Houston belongs in the Alpha minus level with Dallas, Atlanta and the others.

Other than that, looks ok.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:18 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,360,256 times
Quote:
I would put Miami in the same tier with Boston, but not Atlanta. I believe Atlanta is one tier below Miami and Boston.
Absolutely ridiculous. Miami is NOT in the same leauge with Atlanta in the corporate world. Not even close.

How many Fortune 400 firms are based there again?

Need I remind you that the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta has a branch office there?

Old 09-18-2011, 10:23 AM

650 posts, read 1,629,694 times
As for the Miami vs Atlanta comparison, they are in the same league together, along with Houston and Dallas as far as American cities go. Based on potential alone I think Miami won't be on that TIER for long.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:28 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,252,512 times
I agree with OyCrumbler that Miami's best noted function is gateway for Latin America, that speaks on its influence. On power its really not up there with Boston, Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta. Saying it is would be laughable

Old 09-18-2011, 10:32 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,360,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canefandynasty View Post
As for the Miami vs Atlanta comparison, they are in the same league together, along with Houston and Dallas as far as American cities go. Based on potential alone I think Miami won't be on that TIER for long.
Miami has a LOT of good things going for it.

However, it severely lacks when it comes to corporate presence, and has forever. They really are more important to the Caribbean/Latin America than they are to the Southeast/US. MUCH more important.

In my travels throughout that region, it is beyond obvious that Miami is looked at as their version of New York - for everything. For the Southeast - hardly a blip on the radar.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:48 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Atlanta does have some well known companies, but at the end of the day it's nothing to brag about.

Fortune 500 Companies by City

Houston - 24
Dallas - 24
Atlanta -12
Charlotte - 9

Charlotte has 9 and they are half the metro area population as Atlanta. Dallas and Houston is around the same metro population and they have exactly double the amount of fortune 500 companies.
Actually Dallas-Fort Worth has 20 Fortune 500 companies and Houston has 23 (source) and anyone knowledgeable would know that energy is mainly responsible for the difference in the number of F500 companies between Houston/DFW and Atlanta, and that's mostly a function of geography (not taking anything away from the overall business largesse and friendliness of Houston and DFW). DFW has 5 energy-related F500 companies and Houston has about 15 energy-related F500 companies. Taking that difference into account, Atlanta is about where it should be in terms of F500 companies given its size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City