Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2011, 09:06 PM

801 posts, read 1,514,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toredyvik View Post
I think Miami and Atlanta are arguably pretty equal. Miami's location makes it a great port city. Atlanta is pretty landlocked, but has the world's busiest airport.

Both metro's are similar in size, hmm..... I think they're a very good comparison.
Miami is at the bottom of a peninsula. That's not a good location. It takes at least 6 hours to get out of the state. Not a good location at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 09:10 PM

801 posts, read 1,514,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Ok, so,
Logistics: Port of Miami It is the 11th largest cargo container port in the United States. In 2010, a record 4.33 million passengers traveled through the Port of Miami. One in seven of all the world’s cruise passengers start from Miami. The Cargo number is expected to rise significantly with the deeper channels coming in, new railroad and port tunnel lets also not forget that Port Everglades calls Miami Metro home also. Cargo is a bit lacking but still big industry especially to Latin America. They are also the two largest Crusie Ship Ports in the world. That is a lot of $. Miami International is the 3rd most important (2nd buisest) international gateway in the country. And biggest international gateway for frieght from around the world, not just Latin America. It is also one of the most important aviation centers in the world.

As for Entertainment Miami is the LA of Spanish entertainment. And after LA and NYC where has a larger entertainment industry in the US. You mention the big guy thing. May I ask what the big guy is for Dallas and Philly? , Houston has the port and oil. But Dallas and Philly? Oh and Atlanta has its airport but thats about it.

Miami also home to US Southern Command, National Hurricane Center. And the cultural impact it has around the Western Hemisphere.
But you do make a good argument. I just see Miami on the same level. Not saying it is above.
I remember reading an article online talking about this. IMO, I don't see the benefit. Miami is at the bottom of a peninsula. You have to drive at least 6 hours before getting out of Florida. I think the deepened channel will be a waste of money.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:38 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,008,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMarvin View Post
I remember reading an article online talking about this. IMO, I don't see the benefit. Miami is at the bottom of a peninsula. You have to drive at least 6 hours before getting out of Florida. I think the deepened channel will be a waste of money.
This shows the huge demand Miami has on its own. It will help with a railroad and spread products around the state. Also for boats coming from South America Miami will be the first major stop. Put it off the boat to the train. I would think trains are cheaper to operate than a huge boat. But I see your point. Who knows how it turns out, but IMO it is something that needs to be done to just compete.

I agree Atlanta is more imporant to the US. But that just shows how significant Miami is on the world scale. Everyone talking about Atlanta is, domestic this, domestic that. This is a WORLD survery and so is FP survery not just based on the US everyone. Miami is an international gateway, an international hub of commerce and people, and an international finance center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
You do know there's a thread with a lot rankings Atlanta came out overall ahead of Miami. And it's funny posters use one ranking to disprove another.
  • First off the Port of Savannah is busier than the port of Miami, which is largely drawn by Atlanta to be distributed, so Atlanta is the cause of a small metro to have busier than the ports of Miami, even a large number of Miami cargo goes through Atlanta. Anyway there is no doubt Atlanta overall is higher in logistics rank than Miami. Atlanta is always rank some where between 3rd and 5th in logistics overall in the US. And with out doubt Atlanta hub the southeast, and it's more than Airport, it's road and rail also.
  • Also a Miami poster brought up media If you like to have a media debate that will be fun, Miami doesn't have anything to compare to the Turner Broadcasting System which has networks under it all over the world nor the Cox Enterprises, hell most of Florida get it cable from Cox Communications which is in Atlanta but if yall insist.
  • Atlanta is a top city in education and research where do Miami rank. Atlanta was top 5 in research spending I don't know where it rank now but you get my point. Atlanta is 7th in enrollment, Miami is ranked 22nd.
  • Atlanta home to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. So I guess Miami monitor the weather, Atlanta monitor the US Public health. CDC also help funds schools and Hospitals. Overall no city in the southeast top Atlanta in health.
  • Miami maybe have banks assets in the Caribbean, but Atlanta is home to the Federal Reserve that cover most of the southeast, that includes Miami, Atlanta federal Reserve has over $162B in assets. Also SunTrust Banks is still one of largest Banks in the US. Atlanta is 2nd in the southeast in Banking after Charlotte.
  • I Also highly doubt Miami ranks higher than Atlanta in Biotech, better yet tech in general, telecommunications and etc. Please tell me how the heck would Miami be rank higher.
----------------

Also Fail I never said Atlanta dominates the south, I said Atlanta dominates the Southeast in fact you brought Dallas and Houston up I told you to drop them because they aren't the southeast. You said Atlanta is below Miami, then I said base on what? then you said overall importance. LOL. Then you actually tried to compare Charlotte to Atlanta Anyway.

You are actually trying to compare Atlanta which is located in the middle of the southeast to Miami located way in the corner of a large peninsula, that happen to be in the southeast. Instead providing why Miami is ahead of Atlanta you comeback and tell me about Dallas, Houston, and Charlotte. Two of which are not the southeast, the other too small. Other than Atlanta being 2nd in finance and Education in the south east, Oh maybe 3rd tourism. Atlanta nearly dominates in everything else. That is not boosting anything this is old news, and know one is wow or surprise by it. I'm reinstating old news because you said Miami is ahead of Atlanta, "Miami is overall more important"
You list so many things! Wow, I agree (see above) But yet with all these huge advantages Atlanta has over Miami their GDP numbers are very similar and the two cities compare well in a lot.

Last edited by FlyMIA; 09-20-2011 at 09:47 PM..

Old 09-20-2011, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcony121 View Post
^ Look man, I'm not an antagonist nor do I have the audacity to be one for anyone or any place. I really like this country as a whole and have no complaints about any place, truly. Things like weather, location, scenery cant be helped and holding grudges for such childish things show a high level of immaturity for those that do prefer difference.

So now that I've cleared up my intentions I am willing to say this much. In America there is only a #1, #2, & #3, everything else after that is a blur. New York, Los Angeles, & Chicago are the country's solid 3 cities on where they rank. They're 1, 2, 3 on size, output, UA, MSA, CSA, DMA, City, lead their regions, their states, whatever.

Anyone else ever noticed if you look at UA that Philadelphia and Miami come after the big 3? Or when viewing CSA that Washington DC/Baltimore and Boston come after the big 3? Or when looking at MSA Dallas/Fort Worth and Houston come after the big 3? These things are cyclical after the 3 largest cities only solidifies the blue I'm talking of. Basically what I mean is that after the 3 largest cities its evidently clear that many cities can make an argument for themselves on whatever metric they want to use, its just splitting hairs and nonsensical argument to sit there and try to tell someone with another opinion that they're wrong.

Boston, Houston, San Francisco, Washington DC, Dallas, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Miami roughly are in the same boat together.
I can agree with that. But I think DC and Maybe San Fran can be put on their own spectrum too. Especially DC just for being the National Capital and San Fran for being #2 on the West Coast.
I see it something like this:
NYC on its own
LA and Chicago
DC and San Fran, Boston
Atlanta, Miami, Philly, Dallas, Houston
The rest

Old 09-21-2011, 12:44 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
^^^ Again than why is the output and income comparable if Atlanta blows it away. i would also put RDU ahead of Atlanta in the South for healthcare, CDC or not - remember is but one small part of healthcare in the US, albeit important in terms of healthcare overall it is by no means a dominant force, this from someone who has a lot of respect for the CDC and do work with them frequently. on the commercial side UCC is likely the larger player in the Atlanta area, nice company but not exuding anywhere exuding a large presence

And this is not to diminish Atlanta but I dont see how Miami and Atlanta are than much different. Savannah and the port is how far away? Can Philly take credit for the port of NYC/NJ - am sure it is far closer and probably moves more goods from there than the Savannah/Atl dynamic as it is far larger than either Miami or Savannah for that matter (Actually so is Philly's port) Come Chiatdal; you are stretching on some these.
Ok not to diminish Miami, but seriously what does Miami beat Atlanta beside tourism? I am dead Serious. The only thing they have in common are the GDPs are about the same but the actually industries and rankings, you don't see how Miami and Atlanta is any different really?

Dude Atlanta always rank 3rd to 5th in logistics there's no point of debating you can take the port of Savannah out the picture it wouldn't matter. I was saying Atlanta is the most import hub for distributing in the southeast it's not even a argument. But yes New York and Philly is pulling cargo though the NJ and NY area. In Savannah case there isn't 2 major cities over 5 million, and it's near one the busiest logistics hub rail and road in the country you figure it out.

I'm talking about the southeast, not the whole south I don't want this to blow up to ATL vs Hou, those go on for ever. Anyways Atlanta without the CDC stands sizable in healthcare, I know The triangle has high rank hospital but so do Atlanta.

Best Hospitals in Atlanta, GA - US News Best Hospitals

Best Hospitals in Raleigh-Durham, NC - US News Best Hospitals

But Atlanta with the CDC and the it's importance added, Atlanta

Old 09-21-2011, 02:10 AM

3,070 posts, read 11,924,857 times
Just the USA:

Alpha++
1/2. New York
Alpha+
2/8. Chicago
Alpha
3/17. Los Angeles
4/27. San Francisco
5/28. Washington
Alpha-
6/29. Miami
7/36. Boston
8/38. Dallas
9/40. Atlanta
10/46. Philadelphia

Beta+
11/55. Houston
Beta
12/68. Seattle
13/82. Minneapolis
Beta-
14/90. Detroit
15/91. Denver
16/100. St. Louis
17/103. San Diego
18/107. Cleveland

Gamma+
19/116. Cincinnati
20/117. Charlotte
21/121. Baltimore
22/129. Portland
23/133. San Jose
Gamma
24/136. Kansas City
25/137. Phoenix
26/149. Tampa
27/150. Columbus
28/151. Indianapolis
29/152. Pittsburgh
Gamma-
30/158. Orlando
31/165. Richmond
32/169. Austin
33/175. Milwaukee

High Sufficiency
34/182. Jacksonville
35/184. Raleigh
36/188. Salt Lake City
37/194. Las Vegas
38/208. Hartford
39/212. Nashville

Sufficiency
40/222. Sacramento
41/233. Tulsa
42/236. San Antonio
43/246. Birmingham
44/252. Providence
45/254. Omaha
46/262. Honolulu
47/273. Rochester
48/275. Memphis
49/288. New Orleans

Old 09-21-2011, 03:48 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelieveInCleve View Post
Just the USA:

Alpha++
1/2. New York
Alpha+
2/8. Chicago
Alpha
3/17. Los Angeles
4/27. San Francisco
5/28. Washington
Alpha-
6/29. Miami
7/36. Boston
8/38. Dallas
9/40. Atlanta
10/46. Philadelphia

Beta+
11/55. Houston
Beta
12/68. Seattle
13/82. Minneapolis
Beta-
14/90. Detroit
15/91. Denver
16/100. St. Louis
17/103. San Diego
18/107. Cleveland

Gamma+
19/116. Cincinnati
20/117. Charlotte
21/121. Baltimore
22/129. Portland
23/133. San Jose
Gamma
24/136. Kansas City
25/137. Phoenix
26/149. Tampa
27/150. Columbus
28/151. Indianapolis
29/152. Pittsburgh
Gamma-
30/158. Orlando
31/165. Richmond
32/169. Austin
33/175. Milwaukee

High Sufficiency
34/182. Jacksonville
35/184. Raleigh
36/188. Salt Lake City
37/194. Las Vegas
38/208. Hartford
39/212. Nashville

Sufficiency
40/222. Sacramento
41/233. Tulsa
42/236. San Antonio
43/246. Birmingham
44/252. Providence
45/254. Omaha
46/262. Honolulu
47/273. Rochester
48/275. Memphis
49/288. New Orleans
Good job!

Old 09-21-2011, 03:55 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
@BeliveInCleve,

Palo Alto, California is a "sufficiency" city too

Not bad for a suburb of 60,000 eh?

Speaking of which, the Bay Area has 3 cities in this ranking:
Alpha city San Francisco
Gamma + city San Jose
Sufficiency city Palo Alto

The only US metro region that has multiple cities represented I think.

I wonder how many places SF would move up if the 3 scores were combined into one?

In any event, this would show that we have multiple offices of the same out of town firms--big whoop.

Old 09-21-2011, 05:33 AM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,144 posts, read 1,296,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
You do know there's a thread with a lot rankings Atlanta came out overall ahead of Miami. And it's funny posters use one ranking to disprove another.
  • First off the Port of Savannah is busier than the port of Miami, which is largely drawn by Atlanta to be distributed, so Atlanta is the cause of a small metro to have busier than the ports of Miami, even a large number of Miami cargo goes through Atlanta. Anyway there is no doubt Atlanta overall is higher in logistics rank than Miami. Atlanta is always rank some where between 3rd and 5th in logistics overall in the US. And with out doubt Atlanta hub the southeast, and it's more than Airport, it's road and rail also.
  • Also a Miami poster brought up media If you like to have a media debate that will be fun, Miami doesn't have anything to compare to the Turner Broadcasting System which has networks under it all over the world nor the Cox Enterprises, hell most of Florida get it cable from Cox Communications which is in Atlanta but if yall insist.
  • Atlanta is a top city in education and research where do Miami rank. Atlanta was top 5 in research spending I don't know where it rank now but you get my point. Atlanta is 7th in enrollment, Miami is ranked 22nd.
  • Atlanta home to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. So I guess Miami monitor the weather, Atlanta monitor the US Public health. CDC also help funds schools and Hospitals. Overall no city in the southeast top Atlanta in health.
  • Miami maybe have banks assets in the Caribbean, but Atlanta is home to the Federal Reserve that cover most of the southeast, that includes Miami, Atlanta federal Reserve has over $162B in assets. Also SunTrust Banks is still one of largest Banks in the US. Atlanta is 2nd in the southeast in Banking after Charlotte.
  • I Also highly doubt Miami ranks higher than Atlanta in Biotech, better yet tech in general, telecommunications and etc. Please tell me how the heck would Miami be rank higher.
Yet with all of this crap you just listed experts still lists Miami higher than Atlanta.
Quote:
Also Fail I never said Atlanta dominates the south, I said Atlanta dominates the Southeast in fact you brought Dallas and Houston up I told you to drop them because they aren't the southeast. You said Atlanta is below Miami, then I said base on what? then you said overall importance. LOL. Then you actually tried to compare Charlotte to Atlanta Anyway.

You are actually trying to compare Atlanta which is located in the middle of the southeast to Miami located way in the corner of a large peninsula, that happen to be in the southeast. Instead providing why Miami is ahead of Atlanta you comeback and tell me about Dallas, Houston, and Charlotte. Two of which are not the southeast, the other too small. Other than Atlanta being 2nd in finance and Education in the south east, Oh maybe 3rd tourism. Atlanta nearly dominates in everything else. That is not boosting anything this is old news, and know one is wow or surprise by it. I'm reinstating old news because you said Miami is ahead of Atlanta, "Miami is overall more important"
I am aware you never said it, you simply just imply. Anyone who doesn't say "Atlanta is more important than Miami, Dallas and Houston" a child-like tantrum is thrown.

No reference to my link? Yeah, that is now TWO experts who believe Miami is more important than Atlanta. Score: Miami 2 and Atlanta 0.

Old 09-21-2011, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
Yet with all of this crap you just listed experts still lists Miami higher than Atlanta.

I am aware you never said it, you simply just imply. Anyone who doesn't say "Atlanta is more important than Miami, Dallas and Houston" a child-like tantrum is thrown.

No reference to my link? Yeah, that is now TWO experts who believe Miami is more important than Atlanta. Score: Miami 2 and Atlanta 0.
Exactly we are looking at cities at a global scale not just in the US. I think people fail to see this.
Global everyone...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City