Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 11:05 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times

Advertisements

In my experience...

Washington
Oregon
California
Nevada
New Mexico
Vermont
Masschusetts
Rhode Island

all in very different ways, but live and let live nonetheless. I like New Mexico as it is very live and let live in a spiritual sense and that it's not into conformity, but doesn't go overboard with counter culture either like some places on the West Coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 12:43 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,358,226 times
West of the Cascades in WA state.

Especially Seattle, in my experience. Anecdotal as it may be.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:39 AM

82 posts, read 151,993 times
oregon
washington
alaska
idaho
nevada
california

Old 09-29-2011, 08:39 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,898,263 times
Easily:
Idaho, Washington, Oregon

Old 09-29-2011, 08:24 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
NV and NH in a tie.

(Interesting anyone would pick CA, anal retentive, Lefty Fascist place that this is ... we'll tolerate you if you are PC but if not then ... )

Old 09-29-2011, 08:33 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollaathenry View Post
Nevada.
+1

I totally agree. Nevada.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:08 AM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
NV and NH in a tie.

(Interesting anyone would pick CA, anal retentive, Lefty Fascist place that this is ... we'll tolerate you if you are PC but if not then ... )
...then...what? Snidely ask you to explain why you think fascism is associated with leftism?

Old 11-17-2011, 09:36 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,395,958 times
Fascism is an extremely specific political ideology that people really don't know much about except that its BAD BAD BAD. They tend to overgeneralize and call anything that they find oppressive "fascist". Most of the time, at least in the USA, it's not technically fascist. Even if it is oppressive. There are other ways to be "oppressive" then through the ideology specifically known as fascism. Actually, people would do well to learn what fascism is, specifically, so that they aren't fooled when a politician promoting an extremely oppressive agenda gets off the hook with the public because he or she calls the other side "fascist". Also, most political ideologies have a specific agenda. It would behoove Americans to know what a potentially "fascist" agenda would be, just like what the agendas of other ideologies are, so that they are politically empowered. Go read unbiased history of Italian or Spanish fascism, preferably from the Italian or Spanish point of view, if you want to know more.

Fascism can loosely be called leftist. However, you can't call fascism a purely "leftist" ideology because most people think that there are only two political sides, and that "leftism" denotes one political ideology only. It does not. In reality, politics is comprised of quadrants. There are four political quadrants. Fascism occupies on quadrant on the left, while the common leftist in America occupies another. Just like Right wing corporatism and right wing libertarianism are two different ideologies that are only very vaguely related to one another. The inability to know the difference is what keeps a lot of passionate right-wing libertarians putting people in power who keep screwing them over.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:57 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
In my experience, Nevada is extremely live-and-let-live.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:47 PM

1,529 posts, read 1,726,047 times
This is a very tough question to answer. In my experience, It's hard to judge entire states, but instead cities or "regions."

One of the most open-minded places I've ever been in my life (anywhere in the world) is Provincetown, MA. It don't consider it open-minded just because of the large gay population; it's open minded because they seem accepting of everyone, as long as you're nice

There are also other pockets of "open-minded" communities around Mass and Vermont too. To many Americans, Vermont might be the mecca of tolerance as they have gay marriage and very lenient gun laws.

I should also add New York City as an open-minded city...as long as you don't tie up traffic or slow down the subway, people will tolerate you...sometimes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City