Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 07:06 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,739,221 times

Advertisements

What are some examples of pro sports team where the team's name either DOES relate to the city it's in, or DOES NOT relate at all???

For example:

Texas Rangers relates to Texas

Utah Jazz does NOT relate to Utah

Washington Capitals relates to DC

Cincinnati Bengals does NOT relate to Cincinnati
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 07:18 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,013,887 times
Marlins, Dolphins, Heat, Panthers all relate to Miami/Florida.
Dolphins: We have dolphins in the water
Marlins: We have Marlins in the water
Heat: It is hot in Miami
Panthers: The Florida Panther some live down here by the everglades.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:21 PM

10,113 posts, read 9,982,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
What are some examples of pro sports team where the team's name either DOES relate to the city it's in, or DOES NOT relate at all???

For example:

Texas Rangers relates to Texas

Utah Jazz does NOT relate to Utah

Washington Capitals relates to DC

Cincinnati Bengals does NOT relate to Cincinnati
Keep in mind the a lot of teams originated in different cities from their current one. For example, The jazz came from new Orleans.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:28 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,329,664 times
New Orleans Saints
Houston Texans
Pittsburgh Steelers
San Francisco 49ers

Old 10-13-2011, 07:37 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,592,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Keep in mind the a lot of teams originated in different cities from their current one. For example, The jazz came from new Orleans.
And the Lakers came from Minneapolis. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think during the 1960s expansion, the Brewers went to Atlanta but they rechristened them the Braves, and the Senators went to Minneapolis but they rechristened them the Twins.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:39 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,316,554 times
Olando magic (disneyworld)
Detroit pistons (auto industry)
Houston Texans (think)
Houston Rockets (NASA)
Chicago Bulls (stockyards)
Pittsburgh Steelers (steel industry)
Philadelphia 76ers (the declaration of Independence was signed in Philly in 1776)

La Lakers (originally the Minneapolis Lakers because Minnesota is the land of 10,000 lakes)

Old 10-13-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Yes, I know that...

That's just something else to discuss...

Should the Jazz have kept the name when they moved to Salt Lake City or should they have changed to a more fitting name and allowing New Orleans the chance to regain their name?

When the Browns went to Baltimore, they changed to the Ravens. If they did not do that, we wouldn't have a Cleveland Browns. They'd be Cleveland [something else] and Baltimore Browns...

I think they were jerks for keeping the name

Old 10-13-2011, 07:43 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,329,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
Yes, I know that...

That's just something else to discuss...

Should the Jazz have kept the name when they moved to Salt Lake City or should they have changed to a more fitting name and allowing New Orleans the chance to regain their name?

When the Browns went to Baltimore, they changed to the Ravens. If they did not do that, we wouldn't have a Cleveland Browns. They'd be Cleveland [something else] and Baltimore Browns...

I think they were jerks for keeping the name
Utah should have gotten another name. Very idiotic to have Utah Jazz, they couldn't change the name and uniforms?

Old 10-13-2011, 07:50 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,316,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
And the Lakers came from Minneapolis. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think during the 1960s expansion, the Brewers went to Atlanta but they rechristened them the Braves, and the Senators went to Minneapolis but they rechristened them the Twins.
Nope, they were the Milwaukee Braves, and before that the Boston Braves, and before that the Boston Beaneaters. The Boston/Milwaukee/Atlanta Braves is one of only two charter clubs (1876) in MLB that still exist today (the other being the Chicago Cubs).

Old 10-13-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
La Lakers (originally the Minneapolis Lakers because Minnesota is the land of 10,000 lakes)
This one is interesting to me... This is a rare example for one commonly unknown reason...

The Lakers WERE in-fact originally from Minneapolis where the term LAKEr made sense... HOWEVER, the term CAN actually makes sense in Los Angeles as well IF you change the meaning of the term "Laker...

Lakers are also "Lake Freighters." Those long, flat cargo freighter ships that were developed to move heavy freight around the Great Lakes region. Well, those types of ships are also used to ocean freighting and are commonly seen in places like Los Angeles Harbor. Only problem with that stretch is, they're no longer called "Lakers" once they were being used for ocean freighting... Yeah, it's a stretch, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City