Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more cosmopolitan?
Dallas 155 37.17%
Seattle 262 62.83%
Voters: 417. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 09:19 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,334,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by where2raise View Post
Mind naming a few?
AT&T, Exxon Mobil, Texas Instruments, Dr Pepper Snapple Group, etc.

TI is probably the only one that Dallas is globally recognized for, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 09:28 PM

35 posts, read 79,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post

I apologise for my ignorance...
It's more that I just have a bias towards my lovely hometown of Seattle, and on top of that a negative bias for most places in the South.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:07 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,334,414 times
Quote:
It's more that I just have a bias towards my lovely hometown of Seattle, and on top of that a negative bias for most places in the South.
Duly noted.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:16 PM

6,693 posts, read 9,942,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post

There's more Dean Foods, Southwest Airlines, 7-Eleven, Comerica Bank, FedEx Office, JCPenney, American Airlines, Frito-Lay, and many others.

My mother works at the AT&T Headquarters. She told me the AT&T complex has a total of 4 buildings.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:17 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,737,240 times
Quote:
Thank you for your honesty.

Rep points for you.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:43 AM

1,717 posts, read 4,649,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfitz1010 View Post
Curious. have you been to Dallas? (Just wondering)
Countless times. Know the area well. My opinions are based upon my extensive experiences there. I have pointed out the differences, And they are different. Very different

Way too hot. (6 months or so of intense summer is unbearable for me). Mind you, as a Seattle native, what is hot to me, is not to many others. Too few trees in comparison, A downtown that dies way too early. (Sprawl killed DT Dallas) Lack of outdoor activities in comparison to here. And a topography that frankly just isn't pretty. that's not to say one can't find pretty pictures here and there. But generally, it's just not a beautiful place. Sorry, but that;s just my opinion.

There are many reasons why others might like Dallas. Jobs come to mind. Obviously it's an economic force. But the quality of life just isn't there for me.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:45 AM

1,717 posts, read 4,649,042 times
Quote:
I think Seattle is more cosmopolitan in terms of that they have Boeing, Microsoft, Starbucks, and many other companies located there, therefore it gets more global business than Dallas does. I agree Dallas has more ethnic and cultural diversity however.
Look I much prefer Seattle to Dallas. But you couldn't possibly be more off base. Dallas is a Mega center for business nationally and internationally. Much larger to that end than Seattle.

Seattle, as a major seaport, is an export powerhouse though.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:44 AM

4,435 posts, read 6,300,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
Countless times. Know the area well. My opinions are based upon my extensive experiences there. I have pointed out the differences, And they are different. Very different

Way too hot. (6 months or so of intense summer is unbearable for me). Mind you, as a Seattle native, what is hot to me, is not to many others. Too few trees in comparison, A downtown that dies way too early. (Sprawl killed DT Dallas) Lack of outdoor activities in comparison to here. And a topography that frankly just isn't pretty. that's not to say one can't find pretty pictures here and there. But generally, it's just not a beautiful place. Sorry, but that;s just my opinion.

There are many reasons why others might like Dallas. Jobs come to mind. Obviously it's an economic force. But the quality of life just isn't there for me.

Over and over you hear in threads how downtown Dallas is dead, etc. To someone who has never been here they would get the image of a dead deserted urban core until you get to the burbs and reach the strip malls and chain restaurants. Yes downtown Dallas could definitely use an injection of energy, but it is moving in the right direction. The central Dallas neighborhoods that surround the downtown core are eclectic, diverse, vibrant and densifying and they are connected to downtown within a mile or two radius. Why do people not mention this instead of simply saying that the downtown is dead. To me it seems like they are trying to portray as negative of an image as possible instead of highlighting what central Dallas has going for it.

I for one think this can work in Dallas' favor when people do actually visit and are surprised by the city they actually find compared to the image given by posters on this forum based on stereotypes, bias and outdated statements.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:15 PM

503 posts, read 800,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Over and over you hear in threads how downtown Dallas is dead, etc. To someone who has never been here they would get the image of a dead deserted urban core until you get to the burbs and reach the strip malls and chain restaurants. Yes downtown Dallas could definitely use an injection of energy, but it is moving in the right direction. The central Dallas neighborhoods that surround the downtown core are eclectic, diverse, vibrant and densifying and they are connected to downtown within a mile or two radius. Why do people not mention this instead of simply saying that the downtown is dead. To me it seems like they are trying to portray as negative of an image as possible instead of highlighting what central Dallas has going for it.

I for one think this can work in Dallas' favor when people do actually visit and are surprised by the city they actually find compared to the image given by posters on this forum based on stereotypes, bias and outdated statements.
Right! Who says that the downtown area should be the only virbrant place in a city?

Old 01-14-2012, 12:56 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,527,366 times
Downtown Dallas is far different than what it was 10 years ago and it is moving in the right direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City