Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best nightlife?
Houston 22 6.04%
Austin 25 6.87%
Dallas 18 4.95%
New Orleans 144 39.56%
Memphis 6 1.65%
Nashville 22 6.04%
Atlanta 117 32.14%
Orlando 10 2.75%
Voters: 364. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 12:27 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
I wouldnt Dare make that kinda remark saying there are more educated blacks in the state of GA than TX im pretty sure it probably would be the other way around
Its cool man and I respect ATL and its proud black history. Besides you can't have a black debate of any kind without ATL being mentioned in the debate at some point. In other words ATL & DC have set the barometer in many ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 01:54 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,909,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Doesn't make me more capable at all. I can go to Rice and do the same thing or Tulane or The U, etc. There's a high population of blacks in Atlanta, which also has good colleges, 1+1=2.

Well you answer the Question.

1. Where are Blacks thriving the most? Keyword is the most

2. Why are they thriving the most?

3. With you being able to do the same things Why is the black educated populous of DC and Atlanta larger

Maybe you can dig up adn do some research of your own and answer your own Question.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:58 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
I also want to make something very clear Birmingham and the state of Alabama was the epic center of the civil rights movement. "Yes" Dr. King was born and raised in ATL but most of his dirty work was done in Alabama.
Well, Dr. King did most of his work in Alabama because he wanted to make the most impact. He knew that in Atlanta he wouldn't have as hard a time working to reverse segregation since there was a verbal truce between the white and black/jewish communities since 1906. Sure it wasn't 100% smooth sailing, but the violent undercurrent that existed in pre-Civil Rights Birmingham and Montgomery did not exist in Atlanta. Also, the SCLC was formed and based in Atlanta (they needed somewhere to operate that wouldn't get fire bombed).

This isn't great Civil Rights leaders from Alabama (of which there are dozens) but Atlanta was the HQ, Alabama was the battlefield. You don't keep your HQ on the battlefield. Hell, Dr. King and the rest couldn't even meet openly in Birmingham or Montgomery in the early days from fear of being lynched for even coming together to plan the protests.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:25 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:

3. With you being able to do the same things Why is the black educated populous of DC and Atlanta larger

Maybe you can dig up adn do some research of your own and answer your own Question.
My theory is 1+1=2.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:56 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
I'll take a crack at this.

Quote:

Everywhere. I can't really say blacks are thriving the most in Atlanta or DC.

Um....because the Emancipation Proclamation??? Affirmative Action??? Our President is Black???

Because they have the largest black populations and both within the center of the blackest region in the country.
^^^^

Old 12-07-2011, 01:12 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Off Topic, I know. But usually when one would say that this city is better for blacks (or any other culture) than the other city, they mean where there are more opportunities for them to thrive, the level of the vibrancy of the Black experience is high (subjective I know), if the leadership has a great amount of Blacks in public offices historically and presently, etc. But it's mostly Black centric. Houston and Dallas are both higher than San Antonio and Austin in Texas. But this is why DC and Atlanta is seen as the top two cities TODAY. Per Capita, these cities probably have the highest Black owned businesses, Black leaders and affluent Blacks. Can that change, yes. It always changes. NY, Chicago, and Detroit were the cities 50 years ago. You can make an argument for Philadelphia as well. DC has always been there.

But in the argument on Houston being a better city for Blacks than Dallas. Not really. Houston is more popular slightly as of late. But it's not particularly better. Nor do I believe Atlanta is better than Houston or Dallas even though they received 300,000 more Blacks than the two Texas cities in the last decade. Just that Atlanta is by far more popular.

As far as the nightlife goes for Blacks, Dallas is good. But it's not better than Houston and I'm surprised people are placing Miami so high for Black nightlife. It's not bad but most places are very mixed as opposed to the other four.

Old 12-07-2011, 01:22 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Off Topic, I know. But usually when one would say that this city is better for blacks (or any other culture) than the other city, they mean where there are more opportunities for them to thrive, the level of the vibrancy of the Black experience is high (subjective I know), if the leadership has a great amount of Blacks in public offices historically and presently, etc. But it's mostly Black centric. Houston and Dallas are both higher than San Antonio and Austin in Texas. But this is why DC and Atlanta is seen as the top two cities TODAY. Per Capita, these cities probably have the highest Black owned businesses, Black leaders and affluent Blacks. Can that change, yes. It always changes. NY, Chicago, and Detroit were the cities 50 years ago. You can make an argument for Philadelphia as well. DC has always been there.

But in the argument on Houston being a better city for Blacks than Dallas. Not really. Houston is more popular slightly as of late. But it's not particularly better. Nor do I believe Atlanta is better than Houston or Dallas even though they received 300,000 more Blacks than the two Texas cities in the last decade. Just that Atlanta is by far more popular.

As far as the nightlife goes for Blacks, Dallas is good. But it's not better than Houston and I'm surprised people are placing Miami so high for Black nightlife. It's not bad but most places are very mixed as opposed to the other four.
That's exactly why it's placed that high. It's a popular destination for most people.

Old 12-07-2011, 01:24 PM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,144 posts, read 1,295,468 times
I hope Atlanta edges out that greased up and hick NOLA for the win.

Old 12-07-2011, 01:25 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
That's exactly why it's placed that high. It's a popular destination for most people.
Yes it's the highest by far for multicultural crowd. But for a Black centric crowd, I don't it is as high as Houston or Atlanta, especially Atlanta. Could be wrong, though.

Old 12-07-2011, 01:26 PM

322 posts, read 614,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
I hope Atlanta edges out that greased up and hick NOLA for the win.
I doubt it. NOLA has the best night life in the South and one of the best in the country
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City