Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 09:48 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,906,432 times

Advertisements

Variations of this topic come up somewhat regularly, so rather than many combinations popping up over and over, please take a look at this recent article that highlights the stats for the best cities to live in if you don't have (or don't wish to use) a car: best-cities-car-free-247: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

You can discuss the article in a civil manner as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 09:53 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,349,636 times
Surprised to see many of the cities like Honolulu, SLC, and Denver. Even more surprised to see you post here.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:04 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,133,513 times
The Best Cities to Live in Car Free

1. San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont, CA

2. Portland-Vancouver-Beaverton, OR-WA

3. New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island, NY-NJ-PA

4. Honolulu, HI

5. Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, WA

6. San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA

7. Denver-Aurora, CO

8. Salt Lake City, UT

9. Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana, CA

10. Boston-Cambridge-Quincy, MA-NH

Old 11-06-2011, 01:21 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,872,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Variations of this topic come up somewhat regularly, so rather than many combinations popping up over and over, please take a look at this recent article that highlights the stats for the best cities to live in if you don't have (or don't wish to use) a car: best-cities-car-free-247: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

You can discuss the article in a civil manner as well.
someone is lying. i swear everybody tells me, even people who live here in san francisco, that new york's public transportation is way better. people here complain because transportation, including the muni and the bart, don't really take you to every neighborhood. and i even read somewhere FROM the muni that said, muni was the least reliable transportation system in the country.

just today, i was told i needed to get off of the T-line on 3rd and Marin because they were stopping that line. It was only 9pm. I saw the time for the next train and I had to wait 37 minutes. Needless to say, I was enraged. I had to go walking a mile and a half to get home. I opted to buy groceries instead and walk all the way home then to wait another half hour. I had already been waiting 30 minutes for that line to get me. In total it was a 2.5 hour trip to get back home. I only live 6 miles away from work and that's how long it took me to get back home. go figure.

If san francisco is number 1, then new york must be devastatingly atrocious.

Old 11-06-2011, 03:11 AM

285 posts, read 438,729 times
I am actually not surprised to find Los Angeles on the top 10 cities
The rapid bus transit system in Los Angeles is excellent
that combined with the light & heavy rail as well as the underground
gives it a great coverage for a place as big as Los Angeles
I could only imagine where would LA rail transit would be by know if the
city had not scrapped the rail red cars in the 60's

Old 11-06-2011, 07:46 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,133,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
someone is lying. i swear everybody tells me, even people who live here in san francisco, that new york's public transportation is way better. people here complain because transportation, including the muni and the bart, don't really take you to every neighborhood. and i even read somewhere FROM the muni that said, muni was the least reliable transportation system in the country.

just today, i was told i needed to get off of the T-line on 3rd and Marin because they were stopping that line. It was only 9pm. I saw the time for the next train and I had to wait 37 minutes. Needless to say, I was enraged. I had to go walking a mile and a half to get home. I opted to buy groceries instead and walk all the way home then to wait another half hour. I had already been waiting 30 minutes for that line to get me. In total it was a 2.5 hour trip to get back home. I only live 6 miles away from work and that's how long it took me to get back home. go figure.

If san francisco is number 1, then new york must be devastatingly atrocious.
It doesn't mean that NYs transit isn't better necessarily. It's a combination of factors. You gotta read it....

Old 11-06-2011, 08:35 AM

14,037 posts, read 15,058,216 times
IF LA is so easy to live without a car, why doesn't a greater % of LAers live without cars.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:41 AM

10,261 posts, read 12,521,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
IF LA is so easy to live without a car, why doesn't a greater % of LAers live without cars.

the culture of the car..

Old 11-06-2011, 09:07 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,260,672 times
I have never seen a list that included Los Angeles as being a great city to live in without a car and have no mention of Chicago on it.

Chicago > Los Angeles when it comes to public transportation.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:22 AM

13,730 posts, read 15,789,130 times
This list is about taking the bus mainly and coverage in neighborhood with bus access mainly. It's probably pretty accurate considering the main requirements. If your city has suburbs that really don't have great bus access, then that city wouldn't make a list like this. For people who take buses without much rail access, I can see how great it must be for those cities to have those buses especially with the lack of a major rail system.

It's also about amenities in neighborhoods. Areas with high poverty in certain areas will not make this list because of realities like food deserts that exist in many low income communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City