Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2011, 06:51 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
People move to Houston for one reason. Jobs/Money. It ain't for the quality of the city. But keep rationalizing it.
You know this how? Because it's not YOUR preference? Many transplants in Houston do love the quality of the city. They also love how it's changing before their very eyes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 06:53 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
You know this how? Because it's not YOUR preference? Many transplants in Houston do love the quality of the city. They also love how it's changing before their very eyes.
He has psychic abilities, duh!

Old 11-11-2011, 09:26 AM

170 posts, read 325,843 times
Metro Areas I definately do not want to live are:

Phoenix-Mesa (lived there and didnt like it at all)
Tucson
Las Vegas
Los Angeles
San Fran
New York
Phily
San Antonio
El Paso
Houston
Miami

Metro Areas I wouldn't mind living:
Omaha
Tulsa
Kansas City
Minneapolis-St.Paul
Washington DC-MD
Indianapolis
Columbus, OH
Knoxville, TN
Raleigh-Durham, NC

Old 11-11-2011, 09:42 AM

10,261 posts, read 12,507,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normcrok8 View Post
Metro Areas I definately do not want to live are:

Phoenix-Mesa (lived there and didnt like it at all)
Tucson
Las Vegas
Los Angeles
San Fran
New York
Phily
San Antonio
El Paso
Houston
Miami

Metro Areas I wouldn't mind living:
Omaha
Tulsa
Kansas City
Minneapolis-St.Paul
Washington DC-MD
Indianapolis
Columbus, OH
Knoxville, TN
Raleigh-Durham, NC

Metro Areas I definately would like living are:

New York
San Francisco
Oakland
San Diego
Miami
Fort Lauderdale
LA

Old 11-11-2011, 10:37 AM

2,491 posts, read 4,467,349 times
Metros that I would definitely live in:

NYC
Washington, D.C.
Cincinnati
Denver
Cleveland
Boston
Philadelphia

And I could probably be talked into Tampa, but I would have to live on the water somewhere and have season tickets to the Lightning games.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:12 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,441,359 times
I would not live in any city outside of the midwest or the northeast.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:28 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
I'm amazing. And it ain't rocket science. No pun intended.
And what do people move to Seattle for the bright and sunny weather?? The Maybe it is a bunch of goths flocking there because they heard it is Suicideville USA.

The number one reason people move to an area is for jobs. Stop acting like it is different anywhere.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:43 AM

221 posts, read 484,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
You have no clue about Detroit then.

The thread was about METROS. Have you been all over metro Detroit including Royal Oak, Birmingham, Ann Arbor (I know people don't consider it a suburb, but it really is). Even as a downtown it has way more than the others (well except Las Vegas maybe).

Now if you were talking about strictly city neighborhoods? Then at least your answer would at least reflect awareness and knowledge.
Amen. You beat me to it Tex!!! The Detroit metro is really nice (I know, I'm an Ann Arbor native, and I finished school in Southfield), and the cities you listed are very nice (and there's even more cities than that). The one thing I really don't like about the Detroit metro (and the reason why I wouldn't live there at this point), is the lack of reliable public transportation. You DEFINITELY need a car to live well in the Detroit area (Smart is not going to cut it for many people). I think it's a shame the bus system isn't atleast decent, given all the things going on in the suburbs. Forget about light rail for now, just put together a decent, reliable bus system, and things will be much much better.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:50 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanAA View Post
Amen. You beat me to it Tex!!! The Detroit metro is really nice (I know, I'm an Ann Arbor native, and I finished school in Southfield), and the cities you listed are very nice (and there's even more cities than that). The one thing I really don't like about the Detroit metro (and the reason why I wouldn't live there at this point), is the lack of reliable public transportation. You DEFINITELY need a car to live well in the Detroit area (Smart is not going to cut it for many people). I think it's a shame the bus system isn't atleast decent, given all the things going on in the suburbs. Forget about light rail for now, just put together a decent, reliable bus system, and things will be much much better.
I agree. I would also add that the city of Detroit itself is also nice. It has a lot of down spots but there are also a lot of treasures.

I love me some Detroit:

http://www.rotary6400.org/YouthExcha...it-skyline.jpg

Old 11-11-2011, 05:25 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,612,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
Metros that I would definitely live in:

NYC
Washington, D.C.
Cincinnati
Denver
Cleveland
Boston
Philadelphia

And I could probably be talked into Tampa, but I would have to live on the water somewhere and have season tickets to the Lightning games.

Why not Columbus, OH ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City