Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has a better Downtown
Philadelphia 192 62.34%
Seattle 116 37.66%
Voters: 308. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 11:29 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times

Advertisements

Which City has a better downtown?

Criteria:

Vibrancy
Amentities
Culture
Dining
Markets
Shopping
Museums
Arts (Fine Art)
Public Art
Cafes
Activitities
Bars
Transportation
Housing Stock
Population
Next Set of Neighborhoods
Last edited by kidphilly; 11-15-2011 at 11:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 11:37 AM

Can a mod change this to seeing the voters in the polls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
You have any substantiation to that?
This is likely a better comparator than NYC to Seattle, lets try and keep this civil as both have many good qualities

Old 11-15-2011, 11:58 AM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,144 posts, read 1,297,318 times
This is a bad comparison in my opinion too. Seattle needs to go play with Denver, Seattle, Pittsburgh and Minneapolis. Those cities are on the level of Seattle, Philly is above Seattle by two tiers for power and most forms of entertainment that is opinion based.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:23 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,826,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
This is a bad comparison in my opinion too. Seattle needs to go play with Denver, Seattle, Pittsburgh and Minneapolis. Those cities are on the level of Seattle, Philly is above Seattle by two tiers for power and most forms of entertainment that is opinion based.
Gwac ranks city metros were comparing downtowns downtown philly is very comparable to downtown Seattle

Old 11-15-2011, 12:29 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,861,352 times
I guess it is Seattle week in CD. I know NOTHING about Seattle except for what I saw on The Killing .

Old 11-15-2011, 12:33 PM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,144 posts, read 1,297,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
Gwac ranks city metros were comparing downtowns downtown philly is very comparable to downtown Seattle
And the importance of those rankings factors in downtown.

For downtowns Seattle is on the level of MInneapolis, Denver and Pittsburgh. WAY below Philadelphia.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post

Brookings Institute did a study on American downtowns

They found only 5 downtowns they consider fully developed.

Phildelphia was one Seattle was not, interesting read none-the-less. Seattle was considered an emerging DT with the likes of LA, Portland, Atlanta, San Diego, Baltimore, and Denver. Philadelphia was catagorized with NYC, Chicago, and Boston considerred fully-developed DTs.

http://www.brookings.edu/~/media/Fil...1115_Birch.pdf

Old 11-15-2011, 12:43 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,019,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Which City has a better downtown?

Criteria:

Vibrancy
Amentities
Culture
Dining
Markets
Shopping
Museums
Arts (Fine Art)
Public Art
Cafes
Activitities
Bars
Transportation
Housing Stock
Population
Next Set of Neighborhoods
I'm sure I'll be branded a homer, but to me this isn't even close. I can't even understand how a sane person who has been to both cities could even begin to compare the two. I mean honestly of ALL of the categories listed, how many can you honestly give to Seattle? Cafes and Markets I would give to Seattle. After that though what else could you possibly give Seattle? Shopping might be a tie. You could add Cleanliness as a category and give that to Seattle as well.

Other than that every single other catagory isn't even CLOSE! I mean honestly Philadelphia has the third largest downtown population of any city in the country.

Seriously I'd like to hear from the seatle boosters, which catagories listed above that you think Seattle bests Philadelphia in besides cafes and markets. I'll throw in shopping as well even though I think that's likely a tie and I'll give you the bonus category of cleanliness. That's 4 for Seattle and that's generous.

That leaves like 15 for Philly including basically all of the really important ones like vibrancy, nightlife, culture, etc.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:49 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,019,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
And the importance of those rankings factors in downtown.

For downtowns Seattle is on the level of MInneapolis, Denver and Pittsburgh. WAY below Philadelphia.
I don't think it's WAY below Philadelphia in the sense that there probably less than a dozen downtowns that separate the two if you were to rank all the american downtowns. Philly would easily be in the top five, I consider it third, though I imagine the people of Chicago and San Fran would dispute that and that's fine. There's still no way it gets pushed behind anyone else. Seattle is on the verge of being a top 10 downtown, at least top 15. So it's not like Seattle is WAY below Philadelphia in that sense.

However I do think that there is a very steep drop from NYC to anywhere else and the another significant drop from Boston, Philly, San FRan, and Chicago to any other city. So this comparison is NOT close. Philly soundly bests seattle in most of the categories that you would consider when comparing a downtown, but Seattle is still excellent and is one of the best in the country.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
I'm sure I'll be branded a homer, but to me this isn't even close. I can't even understand how a sane person who has been to both cities could even begin to compare the two. I mean honestly of ALL of the categories listed, how many can you honestly give to Seattle? Cafes and Markets I would give to Seattle. After that though what else could you possibly give Seattle? Shopping might be a tie. You could add Cleanliness as a category and give that to Seattle as well.

Other than that every single other catagory isn't even CLOSE! I mean honestly Philadelphia has the third largest downtown population of any city in the country.

Seriously I'd like to hear from the seatle boosters, which catagories listed above that you think Seattle bests Philadelphia in besides cafes and markets. I'll throw in shopping as well even though I think that's likely a tie and I'll give you the bonus category of cleanliness. That's 4 for Seattle and that's generous.

That leaves like 15 for Philly including basically all of the really important ones like vibrancy, nightlife, culture, etc.

Actually RTM vs Pike market (two of the best DT markets in the country) would be an interesting comparison in and of itself - two great DT markets, though no 9th street market for Seattle to compare to

Oddly a Seattle-ite transplant to Philly started which is now considered the best coffee house in America in LaColombe on 19th Street (Thx Seattle I quite enjoy their coffee) now expanded to Manhattan and the Loop
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City