Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Higher quality of life?
California 50 58.14%
New York 36 41.86%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 06:37 AM

84 posts, read 94,436 times

Advertisements

I've never heard of this before. Is is a new trend? Oh, you made it up. Fortunately this is one topic that is unambiguous. So here's the count, as of 2011

Billionaires:

NY - 65
California - 89

Multi-Billionaires (over 10 billion):

NY - 7
California - 4

NY has more billionaires per-capita, California more total billionaires -

Sadly for California, they lost Steve Jobs otherwise they would have had 5 multi-billionaires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
California very definitely is better if you are rich. People who are rich don't need to work - the whole point of living in NYC is to work to get rich, so you can retire while still young to California. It has a nicer climate and more space around the big cities for a nice mansion, plus the views are usually less hazy from humidity. That's why there are many more billionaires living in California than NYC (or at least primary residence, probably most of them have a home on both coasts).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 07:25 AM

7,724 posts, read 12,618,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
California very definitely is better if you are rich. People who are rich don't need to work - the whole point of living in NYC is to work to get rich, so you can retire while still young to California.
That's what I don't understand about NYC. Most of those people don't ever get rich. So what is the point of hustling and bustling? It really makes no sense to me.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:31 AM

7,724 posts, read 12,618,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobettername View Post
I dont think his post is close minded. If you ever visited places like Buffalo or Rochester or even Albany you'd realize there is no reason to ever visit them again.
Um, I have visited those places and they are VERY nice. Maybe for an on-the-go NYCer such as yourself you don't like the vibe. But for people like me who value peace, quiet, and kindness, then those places go up quickly in value and quality of life. I thoroughly enjoyed my time in upstate NY. They are the nicest and most down-to-Earth people I have met anywhere in the country. And are world's away from NYC.

Quote:
Of course there is beautiful scenery in Adirondacks and Niagara Falls but unless you spend most of your time looking at nature scenery hardly defines a quality of life.
Um, yeah, it kinda does. Why do you think Scandinavian countries are constantly rated as having a high quality of life and NYC is never on the list? Having a high quality of lie doesn't just mean jobs, salaries, and cost of living. It means much more. Having clean air to breathe, having nature close by to see and be in touch with, and etc.

Quote:
And in all those area upstate New York simply can't compete with NYC. I agree with Gantz, most of NYS is agricalture, national parks and then some declining Rust Belt cities. Nothing to brag about.
This is such a damn shame and pathetic that a New Yorker has so much pride and arrogance that their not even going to defend the rest of their state on behalf of NYC. Seriously? Get over yourself.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:38 AM

3,345 posts, read 3,074,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobettername View Post
I dont think his post is close minded. If you ever visited places like Buffalo or Rochester or even Albany you'd realize there is no reason to ever visit them again. They are, hm, struggling which is reflected in huge population losses in the past few decades.
Of course there is beautiful scenery in Adirondacks and Niagara Falls but unless you spend most of your time looking at nature scenery hardly defines a quality of life. For most of us, at least here on CITY-data, quality of life means access to job market, culture, entertainment, food choisces plus, of course, level of public safety and availability of high quality medical care. And in all those area upstate New York simply can't compete with NYC. I agree with Gantz, most of NYS is agricalture, national parks and then some declining Rust Belt cities. Nothing to brag about.
The fact that I might run into you while visiting NYC is repulsive enough to me to not want to visit NYC so I voted California

New York State though has many great places though where a good quality of life can be had

Old 11-22-2011, 07:45 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,116,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by one more thing View Post
I've never heard of this before. Is is a new trend? Oh, you made it up. Fortunately this is one topic that is unambiguous. So here's the count, as of 2011

Billionaires:

NY - 65
California - 89

NY - 7
California - 4

Sadly for California, they lost Steve Jobs otherwise they would have had 5 multi-billionaires.

Pretty sure his wife is still a multi billionaire.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:47 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by one more thing View Post

Billionaires:

NY - 65
California - 89

NY - 7
California - 4

But this is a comparison of the entire state, and California's billionaires are about evenly split between Northern CA and Southern CA(with NorCal actually edging out SoCal), whereas in NY state, nearly all the billionaires live in New York City or in its suburbs.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Pretty sure his wife is still a multi billionaire.
This is actually a good point because Forbes doesnt count people who arent working even though they are still technically billionaires.

Both states each probably have at least 30 billionaires who arent even on Forbes ranking but are still billionaires nonetheless.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:51 AM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,144 posts, read 1,296,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
This is actually a good point because Forbes doesnt count people who arent working even though they are still technically billionaires.

Both states each probably have at least 30 billionaires who arent even on Forbes ranking but are still billionaires nonetheless.
First, who would care about this statistic? Another wealth driven post.

Second, this has nothing to do wit QOL for the average American. There are not too many billionaires.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:52 AM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,144 posts, read 1,296,121 times
The state of NY does not have a good economy. I only trust NYC metro for NY State.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
First, who would care about this statistic?
LOL...you can direct your we-are-the-99% post to one more thing, because he/she brought up the topic

Otherwise, move on with your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City