Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 03:27 PM

504 posts, read 1,270,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
So Denver dipping into sub-freezing temps for a longer range of time than Chicago is not true?
Relevance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 06:54 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Guys, guys, guys......the both suck equally! You both win! Denver gets milder but the swings would not only drive me crazy and keep snow and ice off of non-mountain terrain, but it would likely cause a lot more colds, flus and other illnesses.
I'm not trying to argue with OP, I'm not trying to "win", I just feel that for some reason OP wants us all to admit that Denver has harsher winters than Chicago. I don't care one way or another, but while we get a lot of snow, and while we can have it fall any of 9 months a year, we're never trapped in our homes freezing our butts off for days, weeks, or months either.

Has Chicago even had snow yet? We had our first snow Oct 8: The 2010-2011 Unofficial Denver Snow Thread. We also had a nice-sized one Nov 2, a decent one Dec 1, and a 6-incher storm yesterday. We're already in the 20 in + range for the season. But we also had no snow or real cold from Nov 2 to Dec 1. It goes like this throughout the season.

I don't get sick any more or less often than I do anywhere else, but that's just my experience though.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:34 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,197,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
we're never trapped in our homes freezing our butts off for days, weeks, or months either.
neither are we

Old 12-04-2011, 07:38 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Yeah but with those 4 weeks, you might see like 2 days, then another 2 weeks...No need to be so accurate, you obviously know what I'm getting at.
Anyway, I find it funny people trying to defend Chicago winter. Most people know winter in Chicago sucks balls anyway you frame it. I might boost other aspects of Chicago, but I certainly will never boost the weather. It's a terrible winter, no doubt, and the summer isn't that great either, the temps were in the 120s heat index this summer. Midwest weather in general is the most extreme in the country. Everybody knows this. Not a secret. And Chicago has the worst weather of any major city in the U.S. outside Minneapolis.
I wasn't saying winter isn't cold, just that the statement winter brings 6-7 straight weeks below freezing on average is a crazy over-statement.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:44 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,773,571 times
Wow, this is still being debated??

Quote:
neither are we
Again, the fact that you prefer to go outside, ignore the grey skies, bone-chilling wet cold and winds whipping in your face and tell yourself "well, at least it's not Denver!" does not overrule the overwhelming consensus that Chicago has some of the toughest winters in the country. Denver's unpredictable but generally sunny, calm and dry winters are not even in that conversation.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:28 AM

3,147 posts, read 3,501,513 times
Quote:
Yeah, I guess that's why last year I went to denver on new years there was a big snowstorm and teens but when I arrived in chicago it was on the 60s.
So on an isolated trip to Denver you happened to encounter weather, that while not uncommon, we see far less of than Chicago. No miracle here.

At the same time, Chicago was experiencing weather that was uncommon for the time of year. No miracle here.

Instead of your story, as gripping as it was, lets look at the facts.

Denver has a warmer average temp through the winter.

Denver has more sunshine during the winter.

Denver has less extended periods of sub-freezing temperatures than Chicago.

Denver's cold-snaps are short lived compared to Chicago.

And don't think I am a homer, I grew up in the Midwest and actually love Midwest winters. I also have loose plans to move to Chicago in the future even. But just because I like the winters and I like Chicago does not mean I am going to fool myself into believing Chicago has milder winters... it simply is not true.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:06 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
How's the weather today in Denver?

Old 12-05-2011, 09:41 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,197,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
How's the weather today in Denver?
3 Degrees
LMAO

Old 12-05-2011, 11:31 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,812,468 times
It's in the teens and twenties in Southern New Mexico with over night lows in the single digits there as well. Denver and much of the SouthWest is receiving Chicago style weather.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:03 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
3 degrees is crazy cold for chicago or denver
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City