Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2011, 09:17 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,197,612 times

Advertisements

Colder?
I said longer.

And longer makes it worse.

And I want the myth of chicago being cold 6 months to be dispelled.
That is my mission.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 09:43 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,812,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Colder?
I said longer.

That is my mission.
If that is your mission than based soley on temperature and not how it feels, than Chicago wins. I think every one is generally aware that Chicago has a longer growing season than Denver. It can snow in May or early September here in Denver..that said dry cold with the exception of a few artic blasts like we are currently having is really far from Chicago cold. It can and does snow here in April even when the actual temp. is above freezing. It just does not feel that cold though. If the cold spell we are having now was a frequent event..I would be so outta here. It feels colder in Florida at 45 than it does here when it's 25 . Longer doesn't make it worse .. we have days of spring like weather on and off while other places stay frozen or rainy and cold which feels worse in high humidity regions..Why do you think so many people move here for the mild four seasons climate and year round outdoor amenities, they don't move here because it's a world class city like Chicago, NYC, LA.

Last edited by Scott5280; 12-06-2011 at 10:12 AM..

Old 12-06-2011, 09:54 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,950,503 times
Quote:
Colder?
I said longer.

That is my mission.
I recently moved to Chicago but yet to experience a winter. However, Chicago winters are worse than NYC (where I am from), and I think NYC is pretty damn cold for pretty damn long.

Anyway, why do you care if people on a website think Chicago is cold 6 months out of the year?

Old 12-06-2011, 11:06 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Well sure, the average makes it seem milder but half those days will be colder then chicagos.

Constant 30s keeps the average at around 30 throughout a couple months.
Temps going crazy from 70 to 0 within a couple months might make it seem like 40 or 50 on average.
Did you not look at the links? No.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
Have you ever spent a winter in Denver? We get 50's,60's and sometimes low 70's in our coldest years in Dec, Jan, Feb. People move here from the midwest and practically freak out. Again even if it's in the twenties and sun is out..the snow starts to melt. With the sunny dry climate and altitude it's like a huge magnifying glass and yes the cold subsides routinely. The mid-west and NE,SE feel much colder at the same temperature here.
Definitely right about that. Last time I was in Denver in January I needed to get a pair of sunglasses and sunscreen. That magnifying glass effect is definitely right.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:28 AM

chicago winter does not last as long.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
They actually last the same time exact time. If you mean it is possible to snow in Denver earlier, and later than Chicago... yes, that is true you win.
As for what most people would prefer... Denver is quite a bit milder, snowier (yet it melts faster), and sunnier... I think most people would pick Denver's climate Oct-April over Chicago.

As several posters have already said, people move to Denver for it's topography and nice year round sunny climate. People generally move to Chicago for just the city.

Alacran, you do realize Denver gets more sunshine than cities like San Diego or Tampa right???

Right????

Realize what climate you are arguing against, I don't think you understand Denver weather Alacran.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:53 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,950,503 times
Quote:
Winter lasts the same length in every US city

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter

Old 12-06-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
If you mean it is possible to snow in Denver earlier, and later than Chicago... yes, that is true you win.
Close thread please.
I win.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:58 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,501,513 times
Quote:
Close thread please.
I win.
I thought that you were going to keep this thread open and check the temps everyday, all winter, and prove that Chicago is warmer in the winter. You did say that right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
This is way below normal weather for us.(not unheard of but far from average)we'll just see who gets and stays colder this winter.. Denver or Chicago..We will keep this thread going..Keep us posted how many days reach 50-80 until March in Chicago. on top of this again bear in mind our 40 degree days feel like your 60 degrees. I and anyone else who has spent time in both cities knows this is nothing but a scam thread.
Quote:
Let the waiting game begin.

I will win.
Yup, you did say that. But wait, it seems in the last page (where numerous posters have refuted your claim that Denver hits sub-zero "all the time"), you have completely changed your argument to: "It CAN snow for a longer period of time in Denver, therefore Chicago is milder."

Not only is your argument misguided it is also flat out incorrect. Because while it CAN snow for a longer period in Denver, that does NOT mean it snows constant from October to May. It is a commonly accepted fact that Chicago has snow on the ground more days than Denver does each winter.

Anybody who is traveled or even slightly knowledgeable in the geography and climate of this country knows that Denver is in fact milder than Chicago in the winter months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City