Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 04:59 PM

443 posts, read 877,198 times

Advertisements

Below are the top 15 media markets - for people who have experienced local news in more than one of these places, which one did you think was the best? (Also, how is Tampa number 14?)

1. New York

2. Los Angeles

3. Chicago

4. Philadelphia

5. Dallas-Fort Worth

6. San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose

7. Boston

8. Atlanta

9. Washington, D.C.

10. Houston

11. Detroit

12. Phoenix

13. Seattle-Tacoma

14. Tampa-St. Petersburg-Sarasota

15. Minneapolis-St. Paul
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 05:26 PM

515 posts, read 986,015 times
Can you answer, "they all suck?"

Old 12-09-2011, 05:32 PM

6,690 posts, read 9,935,924 times
I can't speak for the other cities but the news in Dallas is pretty good.

Old 12-09-2011, 05:42 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
Definitely NY. LA coverage is flashy with very stupid people. Dumber than FOX news.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:19 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Local news is local news no matter where you live -- shootings, car wrecks, poltical scandals, high school sports. (just watch WGN out of Chicago sometime if you don't believe me). That said, different markets do have different styles: NYC news is surprisingly very boring, very traditional, largely because it's done out of the same facilities as the networks. L.A. is the opposite, with a heavy emphasis on entertainment news and traffic (no surprise). Miami news is very fast-paced, sensational and LOUD -- influenced perhaps by Latin American culture. Atlanta news, strangely enough, is all over the place -- with not nearly the kind of cross-over influence that you used to see from CNN, HLN, The Weather Channel, Sports South, etc. (was a time when talent went back and forth between the local stations and the cable networks with regularlity). Atlanta's WSB-TV 2 is one of the leading news stations in the country and owns the market pretty much, with 3 hours of local weekday afternoon news (4-7) and nonstop local news even on weekends and overnights/mornings. It's a moster.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:22 PM

765 posts, read 2,127,780 times
I agree that they're mostly the same. I do like Cleveland News because of the range of options. There is the station more geared towards city residents, one more geared towards suburbanites, an "ambulance chaser" station, and Fox which is more conservative. I also like that the anchors are somewhat diverse, and that a lot of stations have both African American and White anchors, and some have Hispanic and Asian news people. I've noticed in Minneapolis almost all the anchors are white and this bothers me.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:35 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuyFromCleveland18 View Post
I've noticed in Minneapolis almost all the anchors are white and this bothers me.
It bothers me too, I'd like to see Twin Cities news anchors more diverse. I always think it would be cool if we had some Hmong or Somali news anchors to show off what we have for diversity

Old 12-09-2011, 08:56 PM

14,011 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Local news is local news no matter where you live -- shootings, car wrecks, poltical scandals, high school sports. (just watch WGN out of Chicago sometime if you don't believe me). That said, different markets do have different styles: NYC news is surprisingly very boring, very traditional, largely because it's done out of the same facilities as the networks. L.A. is the opposite, with a heavy emphasis on entertainment news and traffic (no surprise). Miami news is very fast-paced, sensational and LOUD -- influenced perhaps by Latin American culture. Atlanta news, strangely enough, is all over the place -- with not nearly the kind of cross-over influence that you used to see from CNN, HLN, The Weather Channel, Sports South, etc. (was a time when talent went back and forth between the local stations and the cable networks with regularlity). Atlanta's WSB-TV 2 is one of the leading news stations in the country and owns the market pretty much, with 3 hours of local weekday afternoon news (4-7) and nonstop local news even on weekends and overnights/mornings. It's a moster.
Whats wierd is I have that Channel and Im 1,300 miles away from Chicago

Old 12-09-2011, 09:00 PM

10,744 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
Can you answer, "they all suck?"
Yes, Thank you. Local news stations are totally annoying. What's the worst is when we get a snow storm with 6+ inches and they cut into regularly scheduled programming for 1-2 hours to recycle the same old jibba jabba "we have accumlulated 7 inches here on Cape Cod, the snow is light and fluffy, plow crews are busy at work". " Then they move on to the next reporter north of the city babbling about the same accumulation amount and the same fluffy white snow, as if we haven't dealt with this regular occuring event several times every winter.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 12-09-2011 at 09:28 PM..

Old 12-09-2011, 10:46 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,558,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Yes, Thank you. Local news stations are totally annoying. What's the worst is when we get a snow storm with 6+ inches and they cut into regularly scheduled programming for 1-2 hours to recycle the same old jibba jabba "we have accumlulated 7 inches here on Cape Cod, the snow is light and fluffy, plow crews are busy at work". " Then they move on to the next reporter north of the city babbling about the same accumulation amount and the same fluffy white snow, as if we haven't dealt with this regular occuring event several times every winter.
Now imagine how bad it is in LA during a 2 inch "rainstorm"-live Mega Dopler Storm Tracker 2000 team coverage. They always put the black field reporter out in the surf off Malibu someplace reporting that, yes, water is indeed falling from the sky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City