Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 09:07 AM

85 posts, read 186,997 times

Advertisements

I am a Dallas transplant that now lives in Midtown ATL.

I LOVE it here, the trees, the scenery, the hills/mountains, the amazing walk-ability of the Midtown ATL area etc. I have a fantastic job prospect that creeped up in Denver, can you guys help me do a quick pro/con? The ATL vs. Denver thread just got trashed up with nastiness, hoping to have a better view here.

Things Denver would have to replicate for me to move;

-A very walkable urban Core such as Midtown ATL.(walkscore ranks them pretty close)
-A train system that is at least as useful to me as MARTA(esp. being in midtown, I love how it goes to the airport)
-High Rise condo's in an area where you can walk everywhere
-Quality Engineering Education (Ga Tech is here)
-4 Seasons
-True Melting pot for many reasons(food, shopping, culture etc)..Denver always felt very granola for me

Denver seemed really flat to me, outside the fact that it butted up against the mountains..is this just the Texan in me seeing parries everywhere? The other thing I love about ATL is the tree canopy that covers a lot of the city grit..I live 31 floors up and its beautiful looking East in the morning over all the trees and seeing stone mountain, Dallas doesn't have a tree canopy like that at all.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:21 AM

10,753 posts, read 23,828,256 times
Most cities don't have a tree canopy as great as Atlanta, and Denver doesn't even come close in that relm though it does have its tree cover (planted, not natural woodlands like Atlanta). I think Denver has more midrise than highrise residential living but there are certainly some impressive views and the sunsets over the Rockies are quite the spectacle. Denver's light rail has made progress but not quite up to par with MARTA, but its making strides in the future and within the next 4-6 years will have light rail lines going all over the metro including a line out to the airport. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FasTracks For now it has a couple of lines going south of the city, would be convenient if you lived downtown and worked at the Denver Tech Center. Denver certainly has four seasons, though the weather seems to swing a lot there between warm and cold particularly in the should spring and fall seasons. I find its downtown to be highliy walkable.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 12-13-2011 at 10:33 AM..

Old 12-13-2011, 11:50 AM

254 posts, read 513,473 times
High quality engineering programs are offered at the Colorado School of Mines in Golden, which is not far from Denver. Soon the lightrail will get you close to the campus. The lightrail does not currently go to the airport but Skyride (public transportation/shuttle buses) are good alternatives for getting to/from the airport. Denver has four seasons and a bit of granola, a bit of a melting pot. I'm not terribly familiar with Atlanta though (as I can't tolerate the humidity), so I'm not an expert regarding the melting pot issue when comparing the two cities. I agree with what others have said regarding the lack of trees in Denver. It can be very brown here for much of the year if we do not receive a lot of rain and/or snow. But the view of the mountains in the distance is incredible. According to one of those cost of living comparison websites, Denver is about 5% more expensive than Atlanta, but housing costs are theoretically identical.

Last edited by MountainK; 12-13-2011 at 11:58 AM..

Old 12-13-2011, 03:18 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,880,875 times
Not sure why it's not downtown vs. downtown, since Denver definitely competes with ATL, IMO.

Old 12-13-2011, 04:40 PM

704 posts, read 1,792,908 times
I would not consider Denver "granola."

Old 12-13-2011, 07:10 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,403,320 times
Denver and Atlanta compete against one another? I always thought Denver's peers were Seattle, Minneapolis, San Diego...not Miami, Dallas, Atlanta.

Am I the only one who thinks of 'Dynasty' whenever Denver is mentioned; Blake and Alexis? Anywho...

GWAC
Denver: Beta-
Atlanta: Alpha-

Denver MSA pop: 2,543,482
Atlanta MSA pop: 5,290,078

Gross Domestic Product:
16. Denver-Aurora-Boulder, CO CSA $183.206 Billion
10. Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Gainesville, GA-AL $278.805 Billion

By TV market share 2011:
17.) Denver
9.) Atlanta

Still haven't made it to Denver just yet, but if it's along the lines of Minneapolis/San Diego as most stats suggest, then I know what to expect.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:34 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,073,191 times
Denver's Downtown BLOWS downtown atlanta or midtown away! Maybe not in height, but def. in dense, walkable areas with things to do! Not even close!

Old 12-13-2011, 10:15 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,101,580 times
Never been to Denver and never even thought about going but I will say that
anyplace that has dispensaries has got to be cool.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:33 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,063,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aficionado View Post
Still haven't made it to Denver just yet, but if it's along the lines of Minneapolis/San Diego as most stats suggest, then I know what to expect.
The stats you post just verify what everyone already knows - metro Atlanta is bigger than metro Denver (and its peers Minneapolis, San Diego, and Seattle), but who really cares? I'd still take the cities of Minneapolis, San Diego, Seattle, and Denver over the city of Atlanta. And yes, I've been to them all (lived in two of the five).

Old 12-14-2011, 07:36 AM

85 posts, read 186,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post
Denver's Downtown BLOWS downtown atlanta or midtown away! Maybe not in height, but def. in dense, walkable areas with things to do! Not even close!
Whats funny is midtown edges out downtown Denver on walkscore by a few points.

Oh-Main reason I didn't compare downtown is I don't wanna live in downtown ATL, I was thinking more downtown Denver vs. Midtown ATL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City