Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is more active, more cultural, more lively?
Downtown Denver 45 62.50%
Downtown San Antonio 28 38.89%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 07:42 PM

362 posts, read 1,057,644 times

Advertisements

This vs thread is aimed towards attractions, cultural, dining, shopping, landmarks and Not skyline. Denver a clear winner on skyline.

Based on a Downtown 1 Mile radius.

Centers of Pedestrian activity

San Antonio = Riverwalk, Market Square, Rivercenter Mall, Sunset Station, Southtown- King William, Alamo Plaza, Main Plaza, So FLo, La Villita, Travis Park.

Denver -16th Street Mall, Lo Do, Golden Triangle, Capitol Hill, Civic Park.

Both cities have beautiful downtowns, both so very different, which one do you like better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 08:03 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,995,357 times
For Denver, you're leaving out:
Auraria Campus, Performing Arts Complex (2nd largest in the country), Coors Field, Pepsi Center, and Invesco Field. Also, Confluence Park, where the Platte River and Cherry Creek meet. It's not the same as the Riverwalk in San Antonio, but it is a very nice place to go with someone special, bike, or jog.
I have only been to San Antonio once, and liked it a lot. Can't say a bad thing about it, still I'd give downtown Denver the edge in this comparison.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:45 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,710,979 times
I've never been to San Antonio but the Riverwalk always looked so neat and attractive so I gave this one to SA. I love downtown Denver though.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:29 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,107,813 times
San Antonio also has Hemisfair Park, Alamodome, and the Pearl, Pearl is still under development though. I really wouldn't include Sports stadiums cause they are not always in use.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:39 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,995,357 times
Sports stadiums do count because they add to the culture of the downtown, and in Denver they are an intrinsic piece of the over-all appeal downtown.
Also, the Coors Field was a huge part of revitalizing the Lo-Do area of downtown Denver. A lot of those buildings were deserted (except for the vagrants living in them) and boarded up. Now they are filled with boutiques, restaurants, sportsbars, and other businesses. Coors Field was pivotal in this area transitioning into what it is today.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:34 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,693,806 times
I think Downtown SA looks so cool! Very underrated from what I've seen.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:58 AM

704 posts, read 1,791,731 times
Definitely San Antonio. Great city. Denver's primary draw is the liveable suburbs and the mountains in the backyard. The city itself is underwhelming.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:24 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,071,248 times
Please IGNORE natives comments! Pretty sure he lives in Akron! Denver is known for having one of the BEST ped. malls in the Country. The 2nd largest PAC in the Country after NYC. A large and getting larger museum/art district. All the pro sports and facilities. Functioning kayak and water sports park. Amusement/water park. One of the top ten largest bike share programs. A new transit hub under construction. And skyscrapers. Something sa has very few of!

Old 06-25-2012, 11:25 AM

704 posts, read 1,791,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post
Please IGNORE natives comments! Pretty sure he lives in Akron! Denver is known for having one of the BEST ped. malls in the Country. The 2nd largest PAC in the Country after NYC. A large and getting larger museum/art district. All the pro sports and facilities. Functioning kayak and water sports park. Amusement/water park. One of the top ten largest bike share programs. A new transit hub under construction. And skyscrapers. Something sa has very few of!
I live in Lakewood. I haven't even been to Akron, though my wife is from Ohio.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:42 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,810,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
Definitely San Antonio. Great city. Denver's primary draw is the liveable suburbs and the mountains in the backyard. The city itself is underwhelming.
"Gee, that's news to me and almost everyone in the state of Colorado." Lodo as well as the inner city hoods are where most major attractions and five star ammenities are located...The suburbs are ok but certainly not lively or anything.

Anyway having been stationed at Fort Sam Houston in SA I know the RiverWalk quite well. Used to hit the old Plaza Del Rio not sure if it's still around. The Riverwalk is very unique and historical. they are both vibrant scenes, but Downtown Denver is much more cosmopolitan as well as historic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City