Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is more active, more cultural, more lively?
Downtown Denver 45 62.50%
Downtown San Antonio 28 38.89%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 10:17 AM

1,225 posts, read 3,231,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
Definitely San Antonio. Great city. Denver's primary draw is the liveable suburbs and the mountains in the backyard. The city itself is underwhelming.
Oh, good grief!! I'm starting to wonder if you've ever been to downtown Denver.

With that said, I agree that San Antonio's downtown is great. And so is Denver's!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 12:12 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,116,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post
Please IGNORE natives comments! Pretty sure he lives in Akron! Denver is known for having one of the BEST ped. malls in the Country. The 2nd largest PAC in the Country after NYC. A large and getting larger museum/art district. All the pro sports and facilities. Functioning kayak and water sports park. Amusement/water park. One of the top ten largest bike share programs. A new transit hub under construction. And skyscrapers. Something sa has very few of!

Downtown San Antonio also has one of the largest bike share programs, a theatre district that consists of 5 restored historic theatre palaces, 3 downtown arts districts, a new large scale theatre for the performing arts, a new museum reach river district, downtown electric cars approved, and a major urban redevelopent of Hemisfair Park. Then a bustling historic riverwalk that feeds into all these places. It also has a larger downtown retail presence.

Denver does have more skyscrapers in its downtown. San Antonio's business corridors is where you will find it's F500 and major corpoate HQ's. Something SA has to work on is bringing more corporations downtown but I'm sure that would take away from S.A's old world charm. Not sure if it's a very good idea Most of the glass & steel is out in loop land.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:16 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,787,369 times
My two cents... Denver has a larger, more robust, exciting downtown as a whole. Activities are more spread out, but also more widespread!

It has a better downtown as a whole.

But... I will give San Antonio this... the Riverwalk, although limited in extent and small, is a single nicer corridor than Denver has.

As a smaller part of downtown, I like Riverwalk the best, but Downtown Denver is better overall.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
My two cents... Denver has a larger, more robust, exciting downtown as a whole. Activities are more spread out, but also more widespread!

It has a better downtown as a whole.

But... I will give San Antonio this... the Riverwalk, although limited in extent and small, is a single nicer corridor than Denver has.

As a smaller part of downtown, I like Riverwalk the best, but Downtown Denver is better overall.
The SA River is over 200 miles long and the Riverwalk is 15 miles long, not only in center of downtown but going north and south of downtown into historic neighborhoods and districs, Universities, national parks and the San Antonio Zoo.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:18 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,787,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
The SA River is over 200 miles long and the Riverwalk is 15 miles long, not only in center of downtown but going north and south of downtown into historic neighborhoods and districs, Universities, national parks and the San Antonio Zoo.
Thats great! I love the riverwalk ... but for the purposes of using it for comparison to the OP.... I have to spot out a few things.

The whole 15 mile stretch of the riverwalk isn't the same in terms of entertainment amentities. They are clustered together over shorter corridors, particularly in the center of town. It is more like a few miles as opposed to 15.

Additionally most of the amenities SA's downtown has are clustered along that route. In Denver they are spread out on different streets, blocks, and neighborhoods in and immediately around downtown.

You can go to one street and find a street packed full of high-end restaurants or go 10 blocks away in a different part of downtown and find 3 or 4 vintage (tasteful) cabaret style theaters and go 10 blocks in a completely different direction and find trendy shops, coffee shops, and restaurants.

San Antonio most things are clustered along the river many of the outlying parts of the downtown to me just a few blocks away weren't that great to me.

Don't get me wrong... I've loved my visits to San Antonio. I like the fact they tried to create a truely great corridor, but Denver has a larger, younger, and wealthier population that has more amenities to cater to them. San Antonio I think would win hands down for making a great corridor/entertainment center than Denver has, but Denver has a much larger and more spread out amount of stuff.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:02 PM

I've never been to Denver but it is a city I do want to visit. SA's downtown has many sections that are bustling with actvity but the Riverwalk is tops right now. City leaders say Hemisfair Park will give the Riverwalk some major competition when the redevelopment is complete.

downtown denver guide
Downtown Denver Partnership: Dining Directory

DT S.A. guide.
Live, Work, Shop and Be Entertained in Downtown San Antonio

Old 06-29-2012, 02:17 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,872,594 times
downtown san antonio is underrated. it's beautiful architecture, great food, very walkable, lots of tourism and lots to see. i've never been to denver, so i don't think it's fair to give an opinion, but since everyone's always hating on texas for no reason i'll give it to san antonio.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:30 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,921,767 times
I have been to Denver about 30 times and San Antonio about 20 times.

I really enjoy Downtown SA. It's unique, the riverwalk is one of this country's treasures etc.

But Denver has really has a far more comprehensive and vibrant downtown.

If you haven never been to either, I would almost say that SA would be my first place to visit and see it once. It's that unique. Denver would be my first choice to live and a place I would rather re-visit because there is so much more to do there and downtown more of a vibrant city and less of a tourist attraction.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:59 AM

So what does downtown Denver have that S.A. doesn't other than a more of a corporate feel.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:19 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,928,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
So what does downtown Denver have that S.A. doesn't other than a more of a corporate feel.
.... a ballpark, Pro Arena, theme park, taller & more modern buildings and light rail.

Not dissing San Antonio at all, just answering.

Last edited by JJG; 07-03-2012 at 09:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City