Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 08:54 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,877 times

Advertisements

Fort Worth real name is Funky Town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 03:42 PM

801 posts, read 1,512,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I agree. It should be called Venice.
LOL!!! Don't you live in Baton Rouge?

But seriously, no not that, just something without the "-ville." It sounds small.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:55 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,772,849 times
Most of these lists seem completely arbitrary...I'm just waiting for someone to put "Boston" & "Austin" in separate categories

Totally forgot about Phoenix. Thats a badass name.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:11 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,871,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Fort Worth real name is Funky Town.
did you know the song "funky town", by Lipps, Inc. was actually about NYC, and not Minneapolis (or Fort Worth, for that matter), where they originated from?

Old 12-14-2011, 04:52 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,515,379 times
Spanish and French-named cities sound pretty exotic and cool in the United States, but in French and Spanish speaking countries they might sound kind of strange. Like Baton Rouge and Boca Raton sound interesting to us, but Red Stick doesn't have the same ring to it--and who'd want to live somewhere named Rat's Mouth. Likewise Santa Barbara sounds like a beautiful woman, while Saint Barbara reminds me of someones aunt.

And Palo Alto, Los Gatos, La Jolla, Atascadero, Escondido, Corte Madera, and Los Banos sound cool, but Big Tree, The Cats, The Jewel, Mudhole, Hidden, Chop Wood, and The Baths sounds like something from a children's storybook--to say nothing of Manteca--Spanish for lard.

I guess though it's that Romance languages like Spanish and French just sound a little more romantic than the Germanic tongues like English...

Maybe one of the cities named Portland in the US should change their name to Puerto de la Tierra. That sounds much better.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:56 PM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,144 posts, read 1,295,279 times
I don't like any of those towns names in Spanish. Honestly, I don't know what is the meaning behind most names of states or cities. I like New York though. Also, I like the counties of the 5 boroughs in NYC..... interesting to learn about their history.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:02 PM

142 posts, read 222,925 times
Spanish names are the most beautiful. So, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Santa Fe are nice sounding. Except San Diego because of the "egg" sounding part.

The Native American derived names aren't as nice.
Los Angeles has the most beautiful name because it means "The Angels"

Old 12-14-2011, 06:12 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,687,621 times
Like:
Miami
Fort Lauderdale
Atlanta
Boston
Los Angeles, Seattle, San Diego
San Antonio
Minneapolis

Dislike:
Pittsburgh
Knoxville
Mobile
Hartford
Lubbock
St. Louis

Old 12-14-2011, 06:13 PM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Maybe one of the cities named Portland in the US should change their name to Puerto de la Tierra. That sounds much better.
I'd say your Portland in Oregon would have a better shot at it. The old guard yankee ways of Portland, Maine are as good as "no comprende" here in New England. Agreed though Puerto de la Tierra sounds way cooler.

Your post made me think of Rio Rancho which is a non-descript suburb of Albuquerque but I'm drawn to its name, like I'd be pleased to write my address on an envelope with that name, even though it just means River Ranch.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:37 PM

8,609 posts, read 10,140,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
I'd say your Portland in Oregon would have a better shot at it. The old guard yankee ways of Portland, Maine are as good as "no comprende" here in New England. Agreed though Puerto de la Tierra sounds way cooler.

Your post made me think of Rio Rancho which is a non-descript suburb of Albuquerque but I'm drawn to its name, like I'd be pleased to write my address on an envelope with that name, even though it just means River Ranch.
To me, Rio Rancho almost sounds redundant (both words having 2 syllables and starting with r and ending in o). I like Rio and I like Rancho, but not together - i.e. Rio de Janiero and Rancho Cucamongo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City