Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 06:06 PM

6,693 posts, read 9,939,641 times

Advertisements

Rancho Cucamonga, California is the ugliest name I have ever heard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 06:09 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,515,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Rancho Cucamonga, California is the ugliest name I have ever heard.
It sounds made up doesn't it? Like something a TV writer would create when they needed a name for a generic fake SoCal or Sun Belt suburb for a TV show.

Old 12-17-2011, 06:12 PM

6,693 posts, read 9,939,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
It sounds made up doesn't it? Like a TV writer would create when they needed a name for a generic fake SoCal or Sun Belt suburb for a TV show.
HA HA Yeah it does. I want to know who came up with name? Were they smoking?!?

Old 12-17-2011, 07:05 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I always thought a city called Mississippi City would be cool Dont know if it exists

For states I love the name Louisiana!
Mississippi City would be awesome, even better if it wasn't in Mississippi. I love the names like Texas City, Missouri City, etc.

I think that New York, New Orleans, Memphis, Houston, Baton Rouge (with the New Orleans pronunciation), Saint Louis, Marrero, Hialeah, Kendall, Jamaica (NY), Southaven, Mobile, Miami, Napoleonville, Charleston, and others are all pretty cool names.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:55 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
Kalamazoo and Chattanooga, the subject of two oldies songs.

Good

Dallas
Philadelphia
Providence, RI
New Orleans
Los Angeles
San Francisco
Des Moines
Miami
Knoxville
Seattle
Phoenix
Santa Fe

Okay

Chicago
Detroit
Denver
Washington D.C.
Boston
Baltimore
St. Louis
Atlanta

Bad

Butte, Montana
Omaha
Portland
Flint, MI
Columbus
Pittsburgh
Cleveland
Hartford
Gary, Indiana
Jersey City
Newport News
Lubbock

Old 12-18-2011, 08:14 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,793,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Spanish and French-named cities sound pretty exotic and cool in the United States, but in French and Spanish speaking countries they might sound kind of strange. Like Baton Rouge and Boca Raton sound interesting to us, but Red Stick doesn't have the same ring to it--and who'd want to live somewhere named Rat's Mouth. Likewise Santa Barbara sounds like a beautiful woman, while Saint Barbara reminds me of someones aunt.

And Palo Alto, Los Gatos, La Jolla, Atascadero, Escondido, Corte Madera, and Los Banos sound cool, but Big Tree, The Cats, The Jewel, Mudhole, Hidden, Chop Wood, and The Baths sounds like something from a children's storybook--to say nothing of Manteca--Spanish for lard.

I guess though it's that Romance languages like Spanish and French just sound a little more romantic than the Germanic tongues like English...

Maybe one of the cities named Portland in the US should change their name to Puerto de la Tierra. That sounds much better.
Boca Raton always makes me laugh. I like Los Gatos in either language, though, and Chopwood has a quaint sound to it.

I'm all for Puerto de la Tierra. But, it's too bad it couldn't take the name of the river it's beside ( Columbia works ) or for that matter the valley it's in ( Willamette ), both very nice names.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
What's it rhyme with?
Nothing. Let's just say this Newfundland town rhymes with kill-dough.

Old 12-18-2011, 01:05 PM

1,064 posts, read 1,903,421 times
Nacogdoches,Texas

Old 12-18-2011, 04:24 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,576,265 times
I'm not real big on the fakey, pretentious sounding names like The Woodlands, TX, The Villages, FL, Country Walk, FL, Celebration, FL, Hamptons at Boca Raton, FL, Cornwall on Hudson, NY, King of Prussia, PA, The Colony, TX, Mentor on the Lake, OH, Golf Manor, OH, Town and Country, MO, Apple Valley, MN, Paradise Valley, AZ, Eastpointe, MI, and Orchard Lake Village, MI.

Old 12-18-2011, 05:11 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,573,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
I'm not real big on the fakey, pretentious sounding names like The Woodlands, TX, The Villages, FL, Country Walk, FL, Celebration, FL, Hamptons at Boca Raton, FL, Cornwall on Hudson, NY, King of Prussia, PA, The Colony, TX, Mentor on the Lake, OH, Golf Manor, OH, Town and Country, MO, Apple Valley, MN, Paradise Valley, AZ, Eastpointe, MI, and Orchard Lake Village, MI.
You forgot my favorite: Trophy Club, TX. Yes, I swear, it's a real suburb of Fort Worth with a city government and everything, complete with a high school named for a pro golfer.

Old 12-18-2011, 07:23 PM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
I like the sound of Nantucket, and its the only place in the US with the same name for and Island, Town, and a County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City