Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atlanta
Atlanta 78 26.90%
San Francisco 161 55.52%
I could live in either 29 10.00%
I wouldn't want to live in either 22 7.59%
Voters: 290. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 08:21 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,096,533 times

Advertisements

i also forgot another downside to San Francisco that Atlanta doesn't have...earthquakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2011, 08:24 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,856,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
i also forgot another downside to San Francisco that Atlanta doesn't have...earthquakes.
That is way overblown.

Every once in a while there will be an earthquake. And even less often it will be a major one. And more likely than not the average citizens won't be severely effected by the quake anyways.

Old 12-25-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfieldian View Post
No wayyyyy. As I said, days of rain doesn't mean it is raining all day, if it rains in SF? Well, you can probably bet it's going to be drizzling almost all day long.
No way is SF sunnier on a whole than Atlanta.
I think it is a combo of what you are saying and what Nei is saying. It's kind of an apples to oranges comparison. But Seattle and SF do not have the same climate. SF has more in common with coastal Southern California than the Pacific Northwest.

I don't think SF is sunnier than Atlanta, they are probably about the same.

Old 12-25-2011, 08:34 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I don't think SF is sunnier than Atlanta, they are probably about the same.
The wikipedia shows it is (3061 hours of sun for San Francisco vs 2783 for Atlanta); the numbers are from NCDC (National Climate Data Center). But the San Francisco numbers are for the Mission District, the sunniest and least fog prone part of the city. Downtown shouldn't that different, but the parts facing the Pacific might be much cloudier.

Old 12-25-2011, 08:44 PM

635 posts, read 1,509,905 times
I am aware of the fact that San Fran and Seattle do not have the same climate I said they were similar, San Fran and Seattle both have mountains on each side catching the fog or clouds depending on the city that seep in from the Pacific and those generated from their own body of water generating a more consistent weather pattern keeping whatever weather is there the majority of the day. I'm not saying their climates are the same but very similar.

Old 12-25-2011, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizurko View Post
I am aware of the fact that San Fran and Seattle do not have the same climate I said they were similar, San Fran and Seattle both have mountains on each side catching the fog or clouds depending on the city that seep in from the Pacific and those generated from their own body of water generating a more consistent weather pattern keeping whatever weather is there the majority of the day. I'm not saying their climates are the same but very similar.
Sorry if I misquoted you, I'm not invested enough in this to nitpick, but I meant to say that they have pretty different climates, although they have a lot of similarities. Like I said, SF and coastal LA have more similarities than SF and Seattle, at least IMO. BTW I agree with you that summer storms skew Atlanta's numbers.

I think NEI's last post hits the nail on the head, the yearly hours of sunshine is a great stat.

Though San Francisco doesn't really have mountains, it is really hilly and may have a few techincal mountains, but most of the mountains are in the East Bay.

Old 12-25-2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Sorry if I misquoted you, I'm not invested enough in this to nitpick, but I meant to say that they have pretty different climates, although they have a lot of similarities. Like I said, SF and coastal LA have more similarities than SF and Seattle, at least IMO. BTW I agree with you that summer storms skew Atlanta's numbers.

I think NEI's last post hits the nail on the head, the yearly hours of sunshine is a great stat.

Though San Francisco doesn't really have mountains, it is really hilly and may have a few techincal mountains, but most of the mountains are in the East Bay.
Most of the west coasts hills, I consider mountains seeing as how my idea of a mountain stems from the appalachians.

Old 12-25-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizurko View Post
Most of the west coasts hills, I consider mountains seeing as how my idea of a mountain stems from the appalachians.
Sorry, I still don't really get what you are saying... are you referring to the west coast of CA?

Old 12-25-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I still don't really get what you are saying... are you referring to the west coast of CA?
Yes I am as little as it seems to you I view them as mountains due to how I grew up.

Old 12-25-2011, 09:43 PM

815 posts, read 1,858,230 times
Quote:

These stats also don't tell the story. SF RACKS up hours of sunshine b/c of almost perfect clear days when it is sunny, while Atlanta will almost always have some clouds. When SF is sunny it is simply BEAUTIFUL w/ absolutely no cloud in the sky for weeks at a time...Atlanta will never get the *great* weather than SF can get except a handful of days. Atlanta will have a lot more days where there are clouds but you still see some sun. SF along with it's GREAT days, will also have a bunch of string of days where it's just *completely* overcast grey. You rarely if ever see these type of days in Atlanta.
If you want to be somewhere where the sun is consistent year round, Atlanta is the answer.
SF has a moist winter/dry summer Mediterranean climate w/ tons of sunshine one half of the year and dispersing fog, with intermittent to consistent moist weather the rest of the year... Atlanta has a humid subtropical 4 season climate with more consistent precip year round. If a string of grey days bugs you then SF could certainly bug you come winter time.
To readdress it, SF has glorious weather that Atlanta just will never experience... but it also has a more dismal wet/grey season that doesn't happen in Atlanta.

Last edited by Garfieldian; 12-25-2011 at 09:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City