Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 12:06 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Not to nitpick but tell me again what you can do within 100 miles of DFW relative to LA SF NYC or Philly

And irrlevant how The main stay of culture, media, finance, technology, population, government policy, world poilicy things to do

And more irrelevant how being the most efficent in GDP output, income please explain metro I am ALLL EARS

TX has a good economy but absolutely PALES incomparison to the east or west coast counterparts this is not to be harsh but honestly sit the F down until you are even remotely on the playing field (dude seriously stop reading your own press and actually look at reality, on the west coast the top TX city would be number 3 on the east coast barely number 4; stop posting absurd non realistic crap quite honestly; you lose quite a bit of credibility the numbers are not even close)

Again please explain beyond a BLIND love of texas and how they even REMOTELY compare, as I am very interested to hear ONE SINGLE articulate argument

There is nothing in this context that the East or West coast does not dominate
Largest GMP Cities in the United States:

1 New York Metropolitan Area $1,280,517
2 Los Angeles Metropolitan Area $735,743
3 Chicago Metropolitan Area $532,331
4 Washington Metropolitan Area $425,167
5 Greater Houston $384,603
6 Dallas–Fort Worth–Arlington $374,081

7 Delaware Valley (Philadelphia) $346,932
8 San Francisco Bay Area $325,927
9 Greater Boston $313,690
10 Atlanta Metropolitan Area $272,362

Texas stacks up pretty well I must say, but yeah...we can't compare to the West or East Coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 12:42 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Largest GMP Cities in the United States:

1 New York Metropolitan Area $1,280,517
2 Los Angeles Metropolitan Area $735,743
3 Chicago Metropolitan Area $532,331
4 Washington Metropolitan Area $425,167
5 Greater Houston $384,603
6 Dallas–Fort Worth–Arlington $374,081
7 Delaware Valley (Philadelphia) $346,932
8 San Francisco Bay Area $325,927
9 Greater Boston $313,690
10 Atlanta Metropolitan Area $272,362

Texas stacks up pretty well I must say, but yeah...we can't compare to the West or East Coast.
That isnt CSA and even Philly has an additional 100 billion not included in the CSA within 40 miles of city hall

Old 12-29-2011, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Objectively looking at Texas it will be stong into the foreseeable future. The Texas Trangle will be huge, I can see it easily supporting 30 million people, not the whole state, but that region. Although thats a big geographic area.....still.
Today it is what 16 million 30 Million is a long way off...

Old 12-29-2011, 06:59 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,594,235 times
I think Greenville SC has the best location. It is close to the mountains and not too far from the ocean and the beautiful city of Charleston SC. The weather is mild and there is a CREEK with a waterfall! right in the middle of downtown. But please don't move there - they are experiencing growing pains.

I would never consider a big ciy the best location. Too many people, too much traffic.

Last edited by creeksitter; 12-29-2011 at 07:00 AM.. Reason: .

Old 12-29-2011, 07:37 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,880,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
That isnt CSA and even Philly has an additional 100 billion not included in the CSA within 40 miles of city hall
I agree with you on most subjects, and particularly with Texas homerism and this new found enthusiasm for all things Texas, but I think you may be overstating things a bit yourself here. Houston and Dallas ARE comparable to D.C., Philly, Boston or San Francisco -- CSA or MSA -- ECONOMICALLY. I'm not sure they compare at cultural or historical levels of significance simply BECAUSE they are so new to the scene, but even that's debatable.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:25 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,262,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuyFromCleveland18 View Post
Cleveland was once called the "Best Location in the Nation" because it was within 500 miles of 60% of the population of the US and Canada, its proximity to natural resources like Oil and minerals, and the availability of shipping lanes and railroads. From a geographic and economic standpoint which city do you think can claim this title today?
Prior to the global economy, Cleveland would have had a good case to make. In today's world, global connection is everything. This means there are pockets of "best locations:" the Bos-Wash metros have the best connections with Europe, the west coast metros with Asia and Miami, DFW and Houston with Latin America. The title of "best location" could rotate as the health of their respective global partners waxes and wanes.

The Texas argument continues, I see. Texas's economy, while more diversified than in decades past, is still energy-driven. Anyone remember the 80s when oil dropped to $10/bbl and Houston was the foreclosure capital of the nation after two decades of boom? People who say things like this can "never happen again" are neither students of economics nor history, as there is always a cycle. Despite the governor claiming the economy is the best in the US, the state is ranked 28th in unemployment: Unemployment Rates for States. Not what I call an economic miracle.

That's the negative. On the positive, the state has two large and wealthy metros still with lot of unrealized potential. Latin America has plenty of room for growth, and Texas is a major gateway. I give Houston the advantage over DFW, as it has the second largest US port in terms of tonnage, receiving goods from not only Latin America but also Europe and Asia via the Panama Canal. This has Houston well-positoned as a distributor to the central US.

People seem to either over- or under-weigh the importance of Texas. To do either is short-sighted, IMO.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:03 AM

27,571 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Los Angeles, considering you can do anything you'd ever dream of doing within 100 miles.
Hahaha.. Thanks for the laugh of the week.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:37 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
The Texas argument continues, I see. Texas's economy, while more diversified than in decades past, is still energy-driven. Anyone remember the 80s when oil dropped to $10/bbl and Houston was the foreclosure capital of the nation after two decades of boom? People who say things like this can "never happen again" are neither students of economics nor history, as there is always a cycle.
What ever

Houston Stands Out for Clean Energy Companies Seeking New Home Base | Reuters

Houston's economy is more than energy...its medical, manufacturing, shipping, technology, & aerospace.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
I agree with you on most subjects, and particularly with Texas homerism and this new found enthusiasm for all things Texas, but I think you may be overstating things a bit yourself here. Houston and Dallas ARE comparable to D.C., Philly, Boston or San Francisco -- CSA or MSA -- ECONOMICALLY. I'm not sure they compare at cultural or historical levels of significance simply BECAUSE they are so new to the scene, but even that's debatable.

On the CSA level I think they compare to Philly not DC, Boston or the Bay

Though they are very large and strong economies

The point was made earlier that they are the strongest economies in the country.

While certain measures may support strength on size and scale, no

My reply was on the East coast either DFW or Housto would be barely 4 (meaning just ahead of Philly and behind NYC, DC, and Boston on the CSA level) and #3 on the west coast. I stand by these points

Old 12-29-2011, 03:21 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,262,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston's economy is more than energy...its medical, manufacturing, shipping, technology, & aerospace.
Yet 8 of its top 10 publicly traded companies are energy-related:

1. ConocoPhillips
2. Marathon Oil
3. Sysco
4. Enterprise Products Partners
5. Plains All American Pipeline
6. Halliburton
7. Baker Hughes
8. Waste Management
9. National Oilwell Varco
10.Apache Corporation

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houston#Economy

Last edited by Pine to Vine; 12-29-2011 at 03:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City