Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: DC or Atlanta
DC 94 49.21%
Atlanta 97 50.79%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 08:19 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,349,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
I agree.

It would be a far more accurate measure if they measured how many Black households made more than double their region's avg. income.

Throwing a raw number out like that doesn't take into account cost of living b/c it's much harder to attain 200k a year in a rural southern area as opposed to a city like DC, even if the family in the rural southern area has the same level job as the family in DC.
Are you saying Atlanta is rural?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 09:09 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,332,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Are you saying Atlanta is rural?
No, I was not saying Atlanta was rural, I didn't even mention ATL. "DC" and "the rural southern area" were simply just examples to show that $200,000 in some major cities and their suburbs are not the same as $200,000 in most rural areas so you can't compare raw numbers.

I was referencing the user "Aimwitue"'s list where he compared the cities in his "Black Households Earning $200,000+ Annually, 2005-2009" category.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
No, I was not saying Atlanta was rural, I didn't even mention ATL. "DC" and "the rural southern area" were simply just examples to show that $200,000 in some major cities and their suburbs are not the same as $200,000 in most rural areas so you can't compare raw numbers.

I was referencing the user "Aimwitue"'s list where he compared the cities in his "Black Households Earning $200,000+ Annually, 2005-2009" category.
Oh, okay.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:09 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,808,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Oh, okay.
lol.righty then.....that explanation made so much more sense..

Old 01-11-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
lol.righty then.....that explanation made so much more sense..
Huh?

Old 01-11-2012, 03:07 PM

133 posts, read 385,501 times
Quote:
I agree.

It would be a far more accurate measure if they measured how many Black households made more than double their region's avg. income.

Throwing a raw number out like that doesn't take into account cost of living b/c it's much harder to attain 200k a year in a rural southern area as opposed to a city like DC, even if the family in the rural southern area has the same level job as the family in DC.
Actually most professionals in this country tend to be concentrated in the metro areas with the highest COL like NYC,DC,San Francisco,Boston etc. which kinda is the answer to this thread.With 200K a year you can live decently anywhere in this country.There is a reason why black professionals in DC have higher income than Atlanta and it's called the federal government - something Atlanta really doesn't have an answer for."Same level job" doesn't exist in Atlanta.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:10 PM

32,119 posts, read 34,761,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acmilan View Post
There is a reason why black professionals in DC have higher income than Atlanta and it's called the federal government - something Atlanta really doesn't have an answer for."Same level job" doesn't exist in Atlanta.
Well, that might be part of the reason. But people in DC also tend to be better educated and more education usually translates into higher earning power.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:48 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,332,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acmilan View Post
Actually most professionals in this country tend to be concentrated in the metro areas with the highest COL like NYC,DC,San Francisco,Boston etc. which kinda is the answer to this thread.With 200K a year you can live decently anywhere in this country.There is a reason why black professionals in DC have higher income than Atlanta and it's called the federal government - something Atlanta really doesn't have an answer for."Same level job" doesn't exist in Atlanta.
That's true. But with that being said, 200k could take you MUCH MUCH MUCH further in most rural areas than in the NYC area, for example. An MHI of 200k in the NYC area would only put you into the upper middle class group but i'm sure in most of the states with low Cost of Living's, an MHI of 200k would make you FILTHY rich.

A MHI of 200k is also much easier to attain in NYC, DC and Bay Area than in Louisianna since jobs pay more there on average. The same Accounting job in NYC may pay $90k a year in NYC but only $60k a year in Detroit.

My point is that cost of living is a major contributing factor when it comes to salaries of jobs.

(MHI: Median Household Income, for those that don't know)

Old 01-11-2012, 03:51 PM

32,119 posts, read 34,761,354 times
Quote:
That's true. But with that being said, 200k could take you MUCH MUCH MUCH further in most rural areas than in the NYC area, for example. An MHI of 200k in the NYC area would only put you into the upper middle class group but i'm sure in most of the states with low Cost of Living's, an MHI of 200k would make you FILTHY rich.
Wouldn't a median household income of $200K in New York be the exact same as a median household income of $200K in Charlotte?

Old 01-11-2012, 04:06 PM

183 posts, read 196,906 times
Yeah, you really can't downplay cost of living when talking about salaries. Even at 200k you can live in a much better neighborhood and have much more disposable income in Atlanta then DC. Let's not even argue that point. Aside from that, this is about "professionals" not income levels anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City