Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2013, 07:23 PM

592 posts, read 828,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthsideTillIDie View Post
I don't have the time or energy to sit around on my laptop all day lying to people to impress them, if I tell you something you better believe it's coming with some basis behind it. It is #1 Manhattan and #2 Chicago every other opinion is a contrarian position not based on historical, economic, or academic reality. Chicago Loop is usually detached from Streeterville, Gold Coast, ,River North, and the rest of Downtown Chicago in rankings and Midtown Manhattan is also usually split in rankings from the rest of Manhattan and YET Midtown Manhattan and Chicago Loop are still killing every other Downtown in rankings. The rest of the country struggles to touch Midtown Manhattan and Chicago Loop ALONE despite the fact that both of those districts are not even the FULL EXTENT of either citie's Downtown. So examine if New York's and Chicago's Downtowns were ranked with everyone else with all districts combined, it wouldn't be close. Look at the pattern, of Manhattan #1 and Chicago #2.

Largest CBD’s by Size
1. Midtown Manhattan (New York, NY)
2. Chicago Loop (Chicago, IL)
3. Downtown Manhattan (New York, NY)

Largest Downtowns by Population
1. Midtown Manhattan (New York, NY)
2. Chicago Loop (Chicago, IL)
3. Center City Philadelphia (Philadelphia, PA)

Top 3 Highest Ranked Shopping Avenues in USA
1. Fifth Ave (Manhattan, NY)
2. Rodeo Drive (Los Angeles)
3. Magnificent Mile (Chicago, IL)
* Since Rodeo Drive isn’t in Downtown LA, the top Downtown Shopping Avenues would be New York then Chicago

Top 3 Stock Exchanges in USA
1. New York Stock Exchange (New York, NY)
2. Nasdaq (New York, NY)
3. Chicago Board of Trade (Chicago, IL)

Most Affluent Downtown Communities in the USA
1. Sutton Place in Midtown, Manhattan (New York, NY)
2. Tribeca in Lower Manhattan, NY (New York, NY)
3. Gold Coast (Chicago, IL)

I don't see Philly, BOS, or SF popping up consistently, it is Manhattan and Chicago in every ranking. There isn't a single Downtown ranking of any sort where Manhattan and Chicago are not Top 3. But SF, Philly, BOS are hit or miss, top 3 in some departments but not others. Manhattan and Chicago is across the board in EVERY issue of importance, anybody disagreeing is full of it or not being honest with themselves. Infact, some of those cities SF/BOS/PHI do not even dominate their OWN REGION. If you're number 2 or 3 in your own region, do not throw your hat in the ring with Midtown/Downtown Manhattan and Downtown Chicago. It's asinine. Manhattan is by far the GOAT Downtown and Chicago is by far the second best Downtown in the nation, and if a person from SF/BOS/PHI cant handle that it's not my problem. And if I show you a thousand stats you'll still deny. But people in the REAL WORLD know who is #1 and who is #2, and CD can debate all they want but when they turn off their computer and go outside and ask people they will know it is New York and Chicago.
You are correct and incorrect in some of your information.

Yes, Chicago has the second largest CBD. That was never in question.

San Francisco has a larger downtown population than Chicago. "The Loop" only has 30,000 residents at 19,000 people per sq mi. Your Chinatown(which is downtown) has 60,000 residents and is the largest neighborhood downtown Chicago by population. San Francisco's Chinatown(also located right downtown has an estimated 100,000-120,000 residents at around 75,000 people per sq mi. The Tenderloin downtown SF has 25,000 people at 71,000 people per sq mi. North Beach downtown SF has 20,000 residents at 33,000 people per sq mi. So from what I can tell, not only does SF have more people living downtown, but at a higher population density.

The top 3 ranked shopping Avenues? I don't even know what that means. But having been to both, Rodeo Drive has nowhere near the amount of shopping as Union Square downtown San Francisco.

Top 3 stock exchanges- yes, Chicago ranks higher than any American city outside of NYC.

Most affluent downtown communities? Gold Coast has a population of 10,000 people. Its tiny! Would you like to compare the median incomes and rent prices of downtown San Francisco neighborhoods compared to downtown Chicago neighborhoods? Or the amount of millionaires living in these communities? In that case, which is a far better measure, SF beats out Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 09:02 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFNative87 View Post

San Francisco has a larger downtown population than Chicago. "The Loop" only has 30,000 residents at 19,000 people per sq mi. Your Chinatown(which is downtown) has 60,000 residents and is the largest neighborhood downtown Chicago by population. San Francisco's Chinatown(also located right downtown has an estimated 100,000-120,000 residents at around 75,000 people per sq mi. The Tenderloin downtown SF has 25,000 people at 71,000 people per sq mi. North Beach downtown SF has 20,000 residents at 33,000 people per sq mi. So from what I can tell, not only does SF have more people living downtown, but at a higher population density.
The top 3 ranked shopping Avenues? I don't even know what that means. But having been to both, Rodeo Drive has nowhere near the amount of shopping as Union Square downtown San Francisco.

Top 3 stock exchanges- yes, Chicago ranks higher than any American city outside of NYC.

Most affluent downtown communities? Gold Coast has a population of 10,000 people. Its tiny! Would you like to compare the median incomes and rent prices of downtown San Francisco neighborhoods compared to downtown Chicago neighborhoods? Or the amount of millionaires living in these communities? In that case, which is a far better measure, SF beats out Chicago.
What the hell are you talking about, lol. Have you been to either of these cities if this is how you're trying to compare "downtown"?

Old 11-26-2013, 12:59 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,884,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
I literally do not see how some Chicagoans don't know this

LA is the "second city" imo.
This is about Downtown. Head east of Los Angeles Street in DTLA and you're in a trashy dump that looks straight up depressing, just minutes away from DTLA's "best spots."

DTLA has a long ways to go. The entire eastern half of it is a dump. Skid Row will not disappear anytime soon.

Old 11-26-2013, 01:06 AM

165 posts, read 276,915 times
Quote:

That's surprising to me. I thought Downtown San Francisco has only 17,000. I've read quite a few time that the population is lower than 30,000 for sure. The census put the figure lower, too.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:53 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times
Quote:
I'm not familiar with Union Square, but I know Rodeo Drive is supposedly world renowned. How does the Magnificent Mile stack up?

Old 11-26-2013, 08:25 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,134,833 times
I consider "Downtown San Francisco" to be east of Van Ness and north of China Basin/Mission Bay. Would you agree? I am not surprised at the population figures being tossed around for this area.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:29 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I'm not familiar with Union Square, but I know Rodeo Drive is supposedly world renowned. How does the Magnificent Mile stack up?
They're all different. The Mag Mile is more a long strip, Union Square is an area centered around the square and Rodeo Drive is a very small strip of luxury stores at very low density, it's more known for the stores there than the urban fabric of the area. The Mag Mile is nearly a mile long and lined with some of the tallest buildings in the city/country with a ton of malls, hundreds of restaurants and stores and dozens of hotels. I don't go there much, its too packed with slow moving tourists, but it's certainly one of the centerpieces of the city and one of the busiest and prettiest areas. Many of the city's tourist attractions are in the general area.

Union Square is awesome, and it and the Mag Mile are much more tourist destinations than Rodeo Drive - which is just a strip for the high end. The Mag Mile HAS high end, but it's certainly not centered on high end (that's Oak Street to the north). Mag Mile is more a little of something for everyone, but tilts high end.

Our Oak Street is the equivilent of Rodeo Drive (although nowhere near the level or well known)

Quote:
In its eastern part (between Michigan Avenue and Rush Street), Oak Street is one of Chicago's most prestigious shopping destinations. Oak Street has a mix of international couture houses, American luxury brands, and local boutiques unlike nearby Magnificent Mile, which features upscale chain stores and large department stores. Because of this Oak Street is known for its exquisite boutiques, salons, and more intimate setting compared to surrounding areas. Oak Street is in close proximity to famed Michigan Avenue and Rush Street. Because of this, internationally known eateries like Spiaggia, Tavern on Rush, and Gibson's are within walking distance.

Oak Street has continued to expand in recent years as international brands have chosen this street over Michigan Avenue. Part of the appeal has been slightly lower rents and smaller, boutique type spaces compared to Michigan Avenue. The once vacant Esquire Theater has been renovated into a new high end retail center. The newly renovated building is home to Christian Louboutin and national steakhouse Del Frisco's Double Eagle Steakhouse. Tom Ford opened a flagship store in August, 2013. Dolce & Gabbana, Carolina Herrera, Buccellati, and New York restaurant chain Fig and Olive have all announced plans to open in the renovated space. In 2013 Y-3 and Lanvin opened on Oak Street.
Magnificent Mile - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Overview

Today, The Magnificent Mile contains a mixture of upscale department stores, restaurants, luxury retailers, residential and commercial buildings, financial services companies and hotels, and caters primarily to tourists and the affluent. The area also has a high concentration of the city's major media firms, such as the Chicago Tribune newspaper, and advertising agencies. The Magnificent Mile includes 3,100,000 sq ft of retail space, 460 stores, 275 restaurants, 51 hotels, and a host of sightseeing and entertainment attractions to more than 22 million visitors annually.

The American Planning Association selected The Magnificent Mile as one of the 10 Great Streets for 2007 through its Great Places in America program. In recent years, The Magnificent Mile has added trees and flower-filled medians to reflect the changing seasons.

Retail

Many of the world's leading retail stores populate The Magnificent Mile, including department stores such as Bloomingdale's, Neiman Marcus, Saks Fifth Avenue, Nordstrom, and Barneys New York. In addition, some of the finest luxury boutiques are located along The Magnificent Mile, such as Cartier, Escada, Bulgari, Van Cleef & Arpels, Chanel, Georg Jensen, Harry Winston, St. John, Aritzia, Kate Spade, Stuart Weitzman, Prada, Montblanc, Anne Fontaine, and Rolex.

Also present are Ralph Lauren, Bottega Veneta, Gucci, Louis Vuitton, Eskandar, Cole Haan, Charles David, Giorgio Armani, Henri Bendel, Salvatore Ferragamo, Ermenegildo Zegna, Brooks Brothers, Burberry, Hugo Boss, La Perla, Agent Provocateur, Dennis Basso, Piazza Sempione, Fratelli Rosseti, Hickey Freeman, Jil Sander, Henry Beguelin, Juicy Couture, Michael Kors, Bernadaud, Christofle, Arthur, Sermoneta, Manrico Cashmere, Marlowe, Graff Diamonds, David Yurman, Fogal, Wolford, Frette, Pratesi, Culti, and Tiffany & Co. In its book The 10 Best of Everything: An Ultimate Guide for Travelers, the National Geographic named The Magnificent Mile along with Rodeo Drive and Fifth Avenue as one of the ten best shopping avenues in the world.

Hotels and dining

Renowned and critically acclaimed restaurants such as The Signature Room at The 95th, Spiaggia, Tru, The Pump Room, Lawry's, The Grand Lux, The Park Hyatt Room, The Prime Rib, and Spago provide a variety of dining options. All three of the 5-star hotels located in the midwest (The Peninsula Chicago, Four Seasons Hotel Chicago, and Ritz-Carlton Chicago) and Illinois' only 4-star hotel (Park Hyatt) are located within about five blocks along The Magnificent Mile

Last edited by Chicago60614; 11-26-2013 at 08:38 AM..

Old 11-26-2013, 09:03 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
They're all different. The Mag Mile is more a long strip, Union Square is an area centered around the square and Rodeo Drive is a very small strip of luxury stores at very low density, it's more known for the stores there than the urban fabric of the area. The Mag Mile is nearly a mile long and lined with some of the tallest buildings in the city/country with a ton of malls, hundreds of restaurants and stores and dozens of hotels. I don't go there much, its too packed with slow moving tourists, but it's certainly one of the centerpieces of the city and one of the busiest and prettiest areas. Many of the city's tourist attractions are in the general area.

Union Square is awesome, and it and the Mag Mile are much more tourist destinations than Rodeo Drive - which is just a strip for the high end. The Mag Mile HAS high end, but it's certainly not centered on high end (that's Oak Street to the north). Mag Mile is more a little of something for everyone, but tilts high end.

Our Oak Street is the equivilent of Rodeo Drive (although nowhere near the level or well known)

Magnificent Mile - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Rodeo Drive isn't in DTLA, or even close but I think it is a stretch to call it "very low density":

http://goo.gl/maps/6af9h
http://goo.gl/maps/VVczV
http://goo.gl/maps/MhRLO

I mean, it's far from the density / intensity of the Mag Mile or Union Square, but it's fairly urban itself. Additionally, Rodeo Drive is not the only street in downtown Beverly Hills with upscale shops - it is basically an upscale retail / office neighborhood in a triangle shape bounded by Santa Monica Blvd, Wilshire and Canon: http://goo.gl/maps/MBhKy

Quote:
This is about Downtown. Head east of Los Angeles Street in DTLA and you're in a trashy dump that looks straight up depressing, just minutes away from DTLA's "best spots."

DTLA has a long ways to go. The entire eastern half of it is a dump. Skid Row will not disappear anytime soon.
Actually, Skid Row is definitely shrinking. It might not be super-fast but just 10 years ago or so, Skid Row started at Spring / Main. Now it has moved eastward to LA St, shrinking the district's boundaries. I can see how DTLA is penalized versus other more clean centers because there is a very gritty feel to it.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:08 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Why must everything happen downtown. I can see where SF is the better downtown in terms of things going on compared to Chicago, but downtown's also have a way of being too tourist oriented and annoying, more chains, not the "real" culture, a watered down showcase of the true elements of the city. In this regard I think Chicago has more neighborhood spots/restaurants/night life going on than SF while still being in an urban environment, however more spread out. SF has a more consistent walkable area with less breaks and a more urban aesthetic. Chicago has less residents in it's downtown b/c it has way more office and commercial space and is the center of a larger metro that all funnels into DT Chicago area. Chicago has a much larger holding capacity, and I do not think it is close to full. SF is much better for a leisurely stroll and more fun to explore, Chicago might be better for somebody living there as there are more neighborhoods in the city. They are pretty different.

The shopping areas in Chicago and SF are completely unimpressive compared to the ones in NYC, NYC has many areas better than Mag Mile for unique/high end and boutique shopping, not just 5th avenue. I'd rank SoHo and Madison Avenue above them as well. There are also endless boutique and independent areas in NoLita, the Village and Meatpacking District that are better than other cities counterpart neighborhood shopping destinations. They make shopping areas in Lincoln Park or Wicker Park/Bucktown look like a joke. NYC even has a "fashion" walk of fame on 7th ave.

Last edited by grapico; 11-26-2013 at 09:24 AM..

Old 11-26-2013, 09:47 AM

592 posts, read 828,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sour cream View Post
That's surprising to me. I thought Downtown San Francisco has only 17,000. I've read quite a few time that the population is lower than 30,000 for sure. The census put the figure lower, too.
Hmm, maybe that's referring to people who live in the CBD, which wouldn't be many at all. I'm interested how anyone would come up with 17-30k. I work right off Sutter street right downtown. Chinatown, North Beach, SoMa, the Tenderloin, Nob Hill and Rincon Hill are all downtown neighborhoods. All of these neighborhoods are within a 5-15 minute walk of my work besides Rincon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City