Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 09:54 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,884,130 times

Advertisements

This list is based on size, vibrancy, architecture, businesses, and general aesthetics. While many smaller cities may boast impressive downtowns, this ranking focuses only on major metropolitan areas.

Top 10 American Downtowns | Top 10 Lists | TopTenz.net

Numbers #2 and #3 are a little surprising.

BTW this is NOT open for a bash fest. If you feel some kind of way about how this list is ranked, do not go off being rude bashing other cities if your city didn't make the list and you thought it should. It's pathetic. It's fine to disagree but act like an adult who has some damn since. Thank You.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 09:59 PM

886 posts, read 1,563,073 times
Chicago, SF, and Boston behind D.C. is ludacris but overall I agree with that list except maybe Milwakee. Is it really that vibrant? I have never been, that's why I'm asking. Good show for Detroit, I saw it a few months back and it certainly has a nice downtown that only improves every day.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:10 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,884,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR121 View Post
Chicago, SF, and Boston behind D.C. is ludacris but overall I agree with that list except maybe Milwakee. Is it really that vibrant? I have never been, that's why I'm asking. Good show for Detroit, I saw it a few months back and it certainly has a nice downtown that only improves every day.
I haven't been to DC yet but I never seen anyone rank it ahead of Chicago's.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:13 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,922,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR121 View Post
Milwaukee's downtown is just as described - urban, great, great loft district, river walks, Lake Michigan, condos, great museum on Lake Michigan - overall pretty spot on. Milwaukee's Third Ward connects with downtown, and it has to be one of the best urban neighborhoods in the country. My brother, who lives in Chicago, comes up to Milwaukee as often as he can - he loves it.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:16 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,294,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinStrong313 View Post
This list is based on size, vibrancy, architecture, businesses, and general aesthetics. While many smaller cities may boast impressive downtowns, this ranking focuses only on major metropolitan areas.

Top 10 American Downtowns | Top 10 Lists | TopTenz.net

Numbers #2 and #3 are a little surprising.

BTW this is NOT open for a bash fest. If you feel some kind of way about how this list is ranked, do not go off being rude bashing other cities if your city didn't make the list and you thought it should. It's pathetic. It's fine to disagree but act like an adult who has some damn since. Thank You.
I have no idea what Milwaukee, Detroit and Miami are doing on this list.

The big 6 plus Seattle are the obvious choices (though I am puzzled how DC can be ranked ahead of Chicago). But what should be the other 3? Portland, LA, MPLS? I am not quite sure.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:20 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,236,297 times
My top 10:

New York
San Francisco
Chicago
Boston
Seattle
Philadelphia
Portland
Los Angeles
Washington DC
Pittsburgh

Old 01-23-2012, 10:25 PM

422 posts, read 815,335 times
Interesting list. As always, one person's judgement on juggling 5-10. Milwaukee and Detroit could have been Portland, Minneapolis, Denver, San Diego or New Orleans and still highly debated. Good to include a few cities that are not the usual suspects.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:43 PM

229 posts, read 468,703 times
Downtown Chicago not clean?
Dc more vibrant than Chicago?

Yup this article has just lost all credibility.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:51 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,943,693 times
Wow, it seems the purveyor of this article made the same mistake as Lebron by taking their "talents" to South Beach instead of Miami...

http://www.exclusivepropertiesinmiam...e/miabeach.jpg

Um you'd think an article on the top 10 downtowns would actually bother to show a picture of downtown Miami? But I guess if they actually did that, Miami wouldn't be on this list at all.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:18 AM

178 posts, read 419,124 times
Da guy who wrote dat list been smokin hella crack! Sheesh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City