Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 10:13 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 9 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,920,579 times

Advertisements

Pittsburgh: It would gain a lot if it moved out of Western Pennsylvania and to a place such as somewhere in the Western USA, or even New England, and the Coastal Northeast.

Salt Lake City: The location in Utah in some ways is dragging it down. I could see Salt Lake City doing better somewhere else in the Western USA such as Montana or Wyoming. But then again Salt Lake City is helping Utah change for the better.

Atlanta: It would be good for Atlanta to have a coastal location, or at the very least closer to the coastline. A place such as Southeast coastal Georgia, Southeast Virginia, or Southeast Texas. Maybe even all the way to coastal New England such as in Maine!

In some ways, Atlanta can be better if it was not in the South. But at the very least, it would benefit from a more coastal location.

Minneapolis: It can benefit from having a large lake location and could move to Northern Michigan, or Eastern Wisconsin. It can actually also benefit from a closer location to Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 10:21 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post

Salt Lake City: The location in Utah in some ways is dragging it down. I could see Salt Lake City doing better somewhere else in the Western USA such as Montana or Wyoming. But then again Salt Lake City is helping Utah change for the better.
Why do you say that Salt Lake City's location in Utah drags it down? The suburbs are pleasant, safe, quiet and very scenic---dont understand your comment.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:36 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 9 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,920,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Why do you say that Salt Lake City's location in Utah drags it down? The suburbs are pleasant, safe, quiet and very scenic---dont understand your comment.
I said the location in Utah drags Salt Lake City down in some ways/plenty of ways, not in every way.

Most of Utah still has a very conservative and Mormon reputation, which can mislead plenty of people for how Salt Lake City is and hold that city back. It might discourage people from moving there/visiting, economy, and tourism.

Yes, parts of Utah have great nature scenery, but so does Montana and Wyoming and other Western USA states.

Also, a ton of places have suburbs elsewhere, so nothing
noteworthy for the suburbs in Salt Lake City.

What did you think of the other places I mentioned (Pittsburgh, Atlanta, Minneapolis)?

Old 03-08-2012, 11:43 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Most of Utah still has a very conservative and Mormon reputation
There's nothing wrong with that, is there?

Quote:
which can mislead plenty of people for how Salt Lake City is and hold that city back.
Well, Salt Lake City founded by and is the global headquarters of the Mormon church.

I dont know how that is going to 'hold that city back' but as it is, Downtown Salt Lake City is quite stunning.

Quote:
It might discourage people from moving there/visiting, economy, and tourism.
Er, doesnt appear to be the case as Utah's population and economy are both growing rather rapidly. LOL

Old 03-09-2012, 12:22 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75 South View Post
Imagine if Atlanta was where Jacksonville is on the water!
Good thought...I've often wondered why Jacksonville isn't the Atlanta of the region, with its great natural harbor. JAX is pretty hick, from what I saw.

The only problems are the pancake flatness and the abundance of alligators.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:25 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Pittsburgh: It would gain a lot if it moved out of Western Pennsylvania and to a place such as somewhere in the Western USA, or even New England, and the Coastal Northeast.
Pittsburgh looks really "comfortable" where it is. The three rivers coming together and all the hilly forested neighborhoods and suburbs. I am not surprised that some transplants to the area like it a lot...as is.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:08 AM

422 posts, read 816,001 times
After living n Atlsnta for many years, not having a body of water keeps it n the 2nd tier. Water puts it closer to the top 5.

Quote:

Atlanta: It would be good for Atlanta to have a coastal location, or at the very least closer to the coastline. A place such as Southeast coastal Georgia, Southeast Virginia, or Southeast Texas. Maybe even all the way to coastal New England such as in Maine!

In some ways, Atlanta can be better if it was not in the South. But at the very least, it would benefit from a more coastal location.

Minneapolis: It can benefit from having a large lake location and could move to Northern Michigan, or Eastern Wisconsin. It can actually also benefit from a closer location to Chicago.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:12 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,441,085 times
Baltimore. With DC being so close we are often shadowed by DC, although it does benefit Baltimore for being that close but it also hurts us in ways. Its much harder for us to get sports teams, conventions, etc because we are in the same CSA. If Baltimore and D.C. could change spots it would be better for Baltimore and Philly. But there isn't a true problem with our overall location, I just wish our downtown was built on the South Baltimore Peninsula instead of its current location, our skyline would have been forced to build up faster because of limited room.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:17 AM

422 posts, read 816,001 times
I agree! Or maybe if it were a little closer like Oakland is to SF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
Baltimore. With DC being so close we are often shadowed by DC, although it does benefit Baltimore for being that close but it also hurts us in ways. Its much harder for us to get sports teams, conventions, etc because we are in the same CSA. If Baltimore and D.C. could change spots it would be better for Baltimore and Philly. But there isn't a true problem with our overall location, I just wish our downtown was built on the South Baltimore Peninsula instead of its current location, our skyline would have been forced to build up faster because of limited room.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:21 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,441,085 times
Do you think Annapolis current location would have been better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
If Chicago were on the East coast, it would be significantly more important.

That is a nearly scary thought. I honestly believe that if Chicago were on the East Coast it could be even better than NYC (in some ways). But I couldn't be that close NYC or it would lose recognition, I'll say if it were somewhere in Delware-Maryland-Virginia Peninsula it would be great. But then the Midwest wouldn't have a major city, so let's just keep it where it is.

Last edited by BMORE; 03-09-2012 at 01:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City