Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 09:06 AM

28 posts, read 105,881 times

Advertisements

I'm wanting California climate and physical geography (dry and mountainous) without California prices. I've often heard of places "Almost in California" that are very much like extensions of Golden State cities. That could be good or bad, depending on how you look at it.

My primary concerns are employment, a culturally diverse and vibrant "small-shop" downtown core, and the ability to bicycle into large expanses of open space without needing a car.

These cities would include:

Medford, OR
Ashland, OR
Klamath, OR
Reno, NV
Carson City, NV
Las Vegas, NV
Flagstaf, AZ
Phoenix, AZ
Yuma, AZ

I've only experienced Vegas and Flagstaff, and they didn't offer quite the right combinations of employment and downtown vibe, although Flagstaff would certainly be a good start if it had more employment options.

So, any thoughts on the Almost Californias?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 11:45 AM

116 posts, read 222,642 times
These are all very different places. If I had to choose per your description, I'd look into Ashland and Carson City.

Old 11-24-2014, 12:58 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,404,910 times
Phoenix would be the closest to California (SoCal that is) in feel, but thats it. Its much hotter here, though. California is a very long state, with widely varying topography, etc. Flagstaff, AZ is high in elevation, so its very cold and very snowy, nothing like anything in SoCal, or any coastal city, thats for sure. Medford and Ashland will most likely be similar to cities youd find in very northern CA.

Old 11-24-2014, 01:12 PM

37,156 posts, read 39,441,390 times
How about the cities of Baja California?

Old 11-24-2014, 01:48 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,673,805 times
What about Sacramento? Doesn't have the coastal CA prices and seems to offer what you're looking for.

Old 11-24-2014, 05:19 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,522,370 times
Don't go to Yuma. Unless you're 85-years old and never intend you leave your manufactured home, save for the once-a-month 4 p.m. trip to the Old Country Buffet, this city has absolutely nothing to offer. It's a puddle of stucco vomit amidst a desolate landscape.

It is cheap, but with it's 15% unemployment rate, Yuma trumps Detroit in terms of depression.

Also, consider that there are plenty of places in California that offer a low cost of living. Chico, for instance, is a wonderful value. Sacramento has big city amenities at Midwest prices. Fresno, Bakersfield, Modesto, and Stockton are all cheaper than Phoenix and Vegas. It all depends on what you're looking for in a city.

But from your criteria, I'd say that Tucson is calling you. It has everything you're looking for and more. Otherwise, albeit albeit chilly in the winter, you might also consider Salt Lake City, Fort Collins, Santa Fe, Pullman-Moscow, and Billings.

Last edited by Dawn.Davenport; 11-24-2014 at 05:37 PM..

Old 11-24-2014, 05:21 PM

389 posts, read 596,789 times
Perhaps some cities in the Phoenix metro area. It's not really that culturally diverse, though. Maybe Tempe around the ASU campus. I often hear Chandler compared to the Silicon Valley, due to the presence of companies such as Intel. I fail to see the comparison, although the downtown is in the process of being revitalized (it would really take off if they ever expand light rail down there).

If you don't mind venturing further, Austin, Texas, may have what you are looking for, and possibly Colorado.

Old 11-24-2014, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK115 View Post
Perhaps some cities in the Phoenix metro area. It's not really that culturally diverse, though. Maybe Tempe around the ASU campus. I often hear Chandler compared to the Silicon Valley, due to the presence of companies such as Intel. I fail to see the comparison, although the downtown is in the process of being revitalized (it would really take off if they ever expand light rail down there).

If you don't mind venturing further, Austin, Texas, may have what you are looking for, and possibly Colorado.
I think the OP would like Tucson better than anything in the Phoenix area. Downtown Tucson and the 4th Ave. district are more diverse, more urban, more walkable, and more indie than than anything in Maricopa county. Tucson is one of the best cities in the country, and by far the best in the Southwest, for urban biking.

Old 11-24-2014, 06:05 PM

8,630 posts, read 10,157,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
I think the OP would like Tucson better than anything in the Phoenix area. Downtown Tucson and the 4th Ave. district are more diverse, more urban, more walkable, and more indie than than anything in Maricopa county. Tucson is one of the best cities in the country, and by far the best in the Southwest, for urban biking.
I just want to preface by saying that I really enjoyed Tucson as I lived there for approximately 17 years. Having said that, what do you mean by downtown Tucson being more diverse? If you are speaking about the diverse college population which primarily populates the areas around the university, downtown, and 4th Avenue, I cannot agree. ASU in Tempe is the 8th largest university in terms of U.S. universities with the most international students. However, the OP may be more interested in the vibrant "small-shop" downtown core that Tucson offers.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
I just want to preface by saying that I really enjoyed Tucson as I lived there for approximately 17 years. Having said that, what do you mean by downtown Tucson being more diverse? If you are speaking about the diverse college population which primarily populates the areas around the university, downtown, and 4th Avenue, I cannot agree. ASU in Tempe is the 8th largest university in terms of U.S. universities with the most international students. However, the OP may be more interested in the vibrant "small-shop" downtown core that Tucson offers.
Ok, ASU and UofA students are identical: international kids from India, Saudi, and China and a bunch of drunk bleach-blondes from suburban LA, all mixed with the few native Arizonans who haven't yet fled the state (I'm from Tucson and every single last one of my friends from high school have left Arizona).

That said, when comparing 4th Ave to Tempe, there's a much stronger hippie vibe in Tucson, a stronger, more close-knit LGBT community, a stronger arts community, and better music scene. On 4th, you'll meet Baha'i folks, hare krishna people, gutter punks, transsexuals, communists, evangelicals, militant vegetarians, rastafarians, and other folks from every walk of life. The area surrounding downtown Tucson is also more strongly Hispanic than Tempe. This all adds to a feeling of diversity that you get in downtown Tucson, which is missing from Tempe. Downtown Tucson feels like thriving urban community. Tempe feels like a dime-a-dozen suburb with an Urban Outfitters, a Banana Republic, and a Starbucks.

Actually, I think the Coranado neighborhood in Phoenix proper would appeal to the OP more than Tempe.

Last edited by Dawn.Davenport; 11-24-2014 at 09:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City