Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City?
St Louis 35 38.04%
San Diego 57 61.96%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 04:54 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,180,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rranger View Post
... Well, while they're still standing, anyway. Don't blink, 'cause they're bound to be disassembled and shipped away
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 07:18 PM

73 posts, read 148,619 times
St. Louis city

Old 03-04-2012, 01:07 PM

1,331 posts, read 2,334,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
I don't think you have ever been to San Diego (or Saint Louis)
agreed. That poster is doing what most people outside of CA do and repeat stereotypes they've heard. I could easily say that when I think of St Louis, I think of bible thumping rednecks who are stuck in the past. but I don't because I know that can't be everybody that lives there.

Old 03-04-2012, 04:42 PM

976 posts, read 2,241,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyyo View Post
agreed. That poster is doing what most people outside of CA do and repeat stereotypes they've heard. I could easily say that when I think of St Louis, I think of bible thumping rednecks who are stuck in the past. but I don't because I know that can't be everybody that lives there.
ummm....st. louis is a much more liberal city than san diego. it's one of the bluest cities in the united states. the city of san diego is about Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed44% republican. st. louis, on the other hand, isModerator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed84% democrat. st. louis a bunch of "bible thumping rednecks"? i think you have your stereotype reversed. i know you were trying to make a point about stereotypes, but that one in particular is just asinine.

Last edited by Yac; 03-20-2012 at 06:00 AM..

Old 03-04-2012, 04:50 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
ummm....st. louis is a much more liberal city than san diego. it's one of the bluest cities in the united states. the city of san diego is aboutModerator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed44% republican. st. louis, on the other hand, is Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed84% democrat. st. louis a bunch of "bible thumping rednecks"? i think you have your stereotype reversed. i know you were trying to make a point about stereotypes, but that one in particular is just asinine
The higher the African-American population (or just about any minority, really), the more Democratic it will be. That being said, SD is a pretty conservative city, especially for CA.

Last edited by Yac; 03-20-2012 at 05:59 AM..

Old 03-04-2012, 04:53 PM

976 posts, read 2,241,836 times
yes, that is true. Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowedsan diego is also a more religious city than st. louis

Old 03-04-2012, 05:30 PM

1,331 posts, read 2,334,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
ummm....st. louis is a much more liberal city than san diego. it's one of the bluest cities in the united states. the city of san diego is aboutModerator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed44% republican. st. louis, on the other hand, is Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed84% democrat. st. louis a bunch of "bible thumping rednecks"? i think you have your stereotype reversed. i know you were trying to make a point about stereotypes, but that one in particular is just asinine.
The conservative mindset here is mostly do to the fact that there is a large influx of military people who mostly COME FROM THE MIDWEST. In the midwest it is far easier to see the religious attitudes than in San Diego. The city itself is moderate (more registered democrats in the city)but the outlying areas (county wide) lean to the right. This is slowly changing because the whole area is becoming more diverse. The suburb I lived in for a while was mostly white in the late 90's and now there are latinos, blacks, caldeans, and white folk mixed together.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:45 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,799,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
San Diego. the beach, ocean, mountains, desert, boating, great museums, decent sport teams, lots of activities and the most awesome climate in the continental USA.

no brainer
^ This

Old 03-04-2012, 10:17 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 4 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,915,052 times
San Diego wins for most things over Saint Louis and I pick San Diego.

However, Saint Louis has some more historic neighborhoods and historic architecture, lower cost of living, and more history. Also, I think San Diego’s weather is very overrated and mediocre for weather. I prefer Saint Louis’ seasonal and temperature variation.

For most other things, San Diego easily wins. More things to do in San Diego, close proximity to more places worth visiting, better and more varied urban amenities, more varied nature scenery, much better vibe, low crime rate, etc.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:27 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,093,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
I'm surprised. That's not like you at all, stlouisan.
St. Louis can hold its own to many cities in this country, but I would never say St. Louis wins out over cities which are clearly larger, have more attractions, and are just clearly places people would much rather live. San Diego is a no-brainer in this regard. While i would vote St. Louis over many cities, I wouldn't vote it over places like Philadelphia, NYC, Chicago, Boston, or Miami. I'm not a die-hard defender of my city unless it people demolish it to something less than it is, or compare cities which I view to clearly be lower on the totem pole. If you honestly believe I'd vote for St. Louis over NYC or Chicago, you're badly mistaken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City